P0200 (injector circuit) fault code after clutch start

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

P0200 (injector circuit) fault code after clutch start

Postby bennyo on Mon, 01 Apr 2019 8:23 +0000

Hi

I have a 2012 D4D Hilux that I haven't driven much lately, but it's been running fine when I have driven it.

When I got in it today it wouldn't crank over, so I went to clutch start it down my driveway. It took a couple of goes and I was out on the road by then but it kicked over and made some strange noises, but got running. The check engine light stayed on though, and it went into limp mode, no power at all. I pulled over and it seemed to be idling OK.

I connected to my bluetooth OBDII adaptor and it came up with a P0200 code (injector circuit open). I cleared the fault and the engine light went off, but the engine developed a fierce knocking sound and shake briefly before the engine light went on again and the knock/shake stopped. It then knocked again for a second and returned to a seemingly fine idle.

I then idled it for 20 mins before turning it off and back on, but the same thing happened. I idled it a while longer to then drove it back home in low range to make sure I got up the driveway.

When I got home I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes, during which time I checked that all the plugs in the area were seated OK, and they seemed fine. After 10 minutes I tried again, and got the same symptoms. I let it idle for a while and watched as I cleared the code again and the engine was really swaying when it knocked.

As I am in Wollongong I've put a call in to Baileys and am waiting for a return call from their tech. Could I have fried something in clutch starting it? It seems strange that it idles fine when the fault is present
bennyo

Re: P0200 (injector circuit) fault code after clutch start

Postby Gipsy on Mon, 01 Apr 2019 8:44 +0000

Low battery maybe the culprit? Charge it with a smart charger. Your alternator won't charge if the battery is too low.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby bennyo on Wed, 17 Apr 2019 10:23 +0000

Wound up being the injector driver unit, $1100 supplied & fitted. Injectors all ok. They said that the voltage spike of a clutch start will occasionally fry things
bennyo

Postby Gipsy on Thu, 18 Apr 2019 7:29 +0000

That adds to my battery theory :( to avoid this buy a smart charger and never clutch start a modern engine... The alternator will spike to charge the flat battery and fry the electronic systems. Almost a certain despite all the modern technology to protect the system. Sad to hear your expensive problem but hopefully we can all learn from this. It also applies to electric welding (all forms, mig, tig, stick) on a car with the battery connected.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby suzukidave on Thu, 18 Jul 2019 7:59 +0000

Hi Bennyo and others,
My car is a 2013 Hilux SR5 D4D

I'm really glad I found your post.
A few weeks back I accidentally created a short across my battery terminals and blew a 10amp fuse in the process. When I replaced the fuse and started the car it was idling just as you described with engine check light showing.
Lots of side to side shaking and very rough idle noise at startup, but intermittently running a bit more smooth. I attempted to drive the car but could not get the speed much above 20 km/hr without terrible noise.

When I ran an obd2 scan, I also got a p0200 code.
It seems likely I have also fried the injector driver unit.
I am looking for a way to test my injector driver to see if that's the problem - does anyone know a method to do this? Can I test the resistance with multimeter or something like that?

Thanks

Dave
suzukidave

Return to Engines