2005 SR5 3.0 KUN-26 Water pump collapsed + knock?

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

2005 SR5 3.0 KUN-26 Water pump collapsed + knock?

Postby Rjconner on Mon, 21 Jan 2019 4:31 +0000

Hey guys,
I was driving my 2005 SR5 3.0L Hilux dual cab AUTO 1KD - FTV (pretty sure that's its engine 2005-2011 model) when I pulled up to put in some directions into my GPS, when I tried to turn out onto the street she stalled. (I was at full lock and been told that they sometime stall if you have the wheel turned to much, happen to me once and that's what my mechanic told me.) so naturally I tried to start her again and she wasn't cranking. I was like ok...can't possibly be flat but ill give her 3minutes and turned all my power items off and long be hold she starts and where I needed to go was a 1k down the road as I was driving she felt a little weird, it felt like I needed to keep her at a steady rev range and not allow here to go below it in fear she will stall. as I was going around a turn 500m from my destination she stalled in the turn. I pulled up and noticed a noise in the engine so I turned her off to have a look and found coolant had leaked out everywhere and that the reservoir was empty. luckily it was right across from a mechanics, they had a shitty look at it and pretty much said water pump is collapsed (which it is belt off it goes up and down quite a bit) and the noise is an internal problem and looking at a rebuild or swap...10-11k quote. I payed the guys for the little work they did ($300 for 2hrs was more like 30min look over) and got the car out of there (towed back to mine), its heading down south to a family friend that's a diesel mechanic, thae rattling has stop at the moment on start up, its as if the part had settled some where in the engine, and the noise that you can hear sound like its just coming from the water pump being f$@#&% and flimsy. I'm just not a hundred percent sold that its a rear bearing or somewhere inside, it sounds to me like it was in the front portion of the engine, could it be something near the water pump? I'm not a hundred percent shes at 343,000k up there, was due to get serviced that week to...any ideas and thoughts be appreciated.

Thanks rob.
Rjconner

Re: 2005 SR5 3.0 KUN-26 Water pump collapsed + knock?

Postby outbackjoe on Wed, 30 Jan 2019 5:46 +0000

Maybe dodgy water pump pulley causing timing issues with valves. Timing belt runs off water pump. Hope no valves have smashed into pistons. Maybe try new water pump and timing belt and see what happens.
outbackjoe

Postby Rjconner on Wed, 30 Jan 2019 11:45 +0000

outbackjoe wrote:Maybe dodgy water pump pulley causing timing issues with valves. Timing belt runs off water pump. Hope no valves have smashed into pistons. Maybe try new water pump and timing belt and see what happens.

Thanks for the reply, going to change the water pump out and belt and give the coolant system a run through and to check for debris, all I can do is hope its not inside, what ever it is, its seemed to of settled somewhere as noise isn't as bad as it was.

anymore ideas would be great, thanks again for the reply.
Rjconner

Postby martynvella on Wed, 30 Jan 2019 5:42 +0000

Water pump has nothing to do with the cam timing. Dont try to drive it like it is, asking for ttrouble.
martynvella

Postby Rjconner on Thu, 31 Jan 2019 12:27 +0000

martynvella wrote:Water pump has nothing to do with the cam timing. Dont try to drive it like it is, asking for ttrouble.
Not driving it around, I'll be getting it towed to get water pump replaced and have a look over.
Rjconner

Return to Engines