1KD likely injectors problem, need help asap

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

1KD likely injectors problem, need help asap

Postby saxon on Mon, 02 Apr 2018 7:42 +0000

Hi All,
I would really appreciate some help as currently on a Holiday with my family around the east coast. We live in Adelaide, but are camping near to Katoomba in the Blue Mountains now as part of out East coast camping trip, hoping we can proceed to Brisbane soon. Noticed a grey smoke coming from exhaust a few days ago when car was parked with nose facing down and I started the engine. Seems to do it every time now that I have tried starting it up when been on an incline for a while.
My car is a Hilux 2005 dual-cab d4d 1KD engine, 150k on the clock, bought it a year ago and don't think it had any injector issues/work done as have the full mechanical history from previous owner and he claims to never had any inj issues.
Been researching about the injector issues and seems that this is one of the symptoms for failed seal of the front injector.
Don't have the diagnostics VCI cable or software at the moment but thinking about buying one from Sydney if a need to.

Would really appreciate some help in getting a knowledgeable mechanic/person to help with diagnostics or to rectify the issue for us as we would like to continue our trip.
I am happy to take the ute to a Sydney workshop or even maybe go to Melbourne as I hear there are very knowledgeable people there that are well educated on the subject and might help.

Any kind of help is greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Ross
saxon

Re: 1KD likely injectors problem, need help asap

Postby outbackjoe on Mon, 02 Apr 2018 2:04 +0000

Hey man I had injector probs on my holidays a few months ago, took it to Darby St Automotive Services in Newcastle, they're pretty good. I'm from Perth so was a bit tricky finding someone capable, did get ripped off a couple of hundred bucks in coffs harbour by a mob who had no idea, luckily could still drive the vehicle down to Newcastle.

What you have sounds like leaking seal. Something you can do before finding an appropriate workshop is drop the oil and inspect the oil pickup screen, if it is clean you should be safe to drive a bit to find a good mechanic. If it's fouled with carbon crap you risk immediately blowing up the engine from oil starvation.
outbackjoe

Re: 1KD likely injectors problem, need help asap

Postby dave g on Mon, 02 Apr 2018 3:01 +0000

Hi
Berrima diesel service give them a ring
There wood be same good camp spots around there as well
dave g

Return to Engines