Black Smoke, Cruise-Revs

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Re: Black Smoke, Cruise-Revs

Postby TOYZX on Mon, 08 Jul 2019 3:42 +0000

Mostly good news then! How were the valves at 200k?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby apSlain on Tue, 09 Jul 2019 7:35 +0000

Hey mate, valves were good - all in spec. Inlets were on the lower end and the exhaust was in the middle. Everything's in good nick except that EGR, haha.

Hoping that it's a shitty solenoid that's easy to replace that's the problem - that's my next attempt given I've already replaced the valve position sensor.
Check out Slain's Overlander, a perpetual work-in-progress.
apSlain

Postby apSlain on Wed, 24 Jul 2019 11:21 +0000

Hi again, quick update from me. Car went into Toyota twice for this issue.

First time, they gave the car back after finding a vacuum hose had come off. No charge for this. Drove out, code back on after 20m and personal diagnostics showed me the same results.

Second time, pretty much the same deal except it was a plug this time. No code, and personal diagnostics show things operating as before - that is, EGR still not having the full range of operation but operating just enough to not trigger an engine light. Again, no charge.

I'll be taking the rocker off this weekend to do my own inspection of hoses, plugs, and everything else. Just haven't had the time, and Toyota's not been thorough on the check-over though very grateful they fixed things up without charge. They could've easily charged an hour or two's work for a loose plug/hose.

I'm not going to chase the EGR Lift Sensor stuff any longer - smoke's pretty much gone so I'm not concerned about the range of operation. At least it can completely close.

Less diagnostics, more getting out there :)
Check out Slain's Overlander, a perpetual work-in-progress.
apSlain

Previous

Return to Engines