Hilux V6 TRD CAI Dyno Testing Review installation

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Re: Hilux V6 TRD CAI Dyno Testing Review installation

Postby taresk on Sun, 21 Aug 2016 11:15 +0000

It was brought to my attention that the Gen 8's have a very similar airbox, which might actually be an easier option (assuming the internal stampings of the engine bay haven't changed much).

I would need to find one of these hens teeth to figure that out, but it seems promising.

taresk

Postby Gulfstream8 on Sun, 21 Aug 2016 6:58 +0000

I looked at this awhile ago and it still has the problem that the inlet to the box and outlet are very small as its really been designed for the smaller Diesel engine and Toyota have now just standardised the boxes so the same filter can be used accross more vehicles. They have also shifted the air flow meter to the box (Same as the Diesel) so with this and the smaller inlet/outlet you still have a lot of modifications to do.

The Gen 8 Filter box is very expensive and when I looked non were available in Australia. But yes if the inner guard is the as the Gen 7 and it's a bolt in fit and you are happy to mod the box you can get just the TRD CAI pipe for where the airflow meter sits for about $80 US dollars. But I think it's safer and cheaper to install the entire TRD Tacoma CAI.

Cheers
Gulfstream8

Postby taresk on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 9:28 +0000

Gulfstream8 wrote:I looked at this awhile ago and it still has the problem that the inlet to the box and outlet are very small as its really been designed for the smaller Diesel engine and Toyota have now just standardised the boxes so the same filter can be used accross more vehicles. They have also shifted the air flow meter to the box (Same as the Diesel) so with this and the smaller inlet/outlet you still have a lot of modifications to do.

The Gen 8 Filter box is very expensive and when I looked non were available in Australia. But yes if the inner guard is the as the Gen 7 and it's a bolt in fit and you are happy to mod the box you can get just the TRD CAI pipe for where the airflow meter sits for about $80 US dollars. But I think it's safer and cheaper to install the entire TRD Tacoma CAI.

Cheers

It probably is easier to stick with the full TRD setup, I've been doing a lot of searching since I posted that, and there's not a dealer in the country with a V6 in stock, so the chances of someone buying one, and crashing it, so that I can get the box from a wrecker is pretty slim to say the least.
And yes, a brand new genuine airbox does make the TRD the cheaper option.
taresk

Postby HK1837 on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 9:12 +0000

My 2010 SR5 V6 got written off in a head-on at 15,000kM so it is possible. It was at this time I was glad I spent the extra on an SR5 over an SR - it was the airbags and ABS that made my choice. The curtain airbag probably saved my life.
HK1837

Postby azura on Sat, 28 Oct 2017 5:40 +0000

Hey guys.
for some reason none of the pics are showing up on my device plus not any other ones on the forum.

It's been ages since i been on here and i know when i first saw this thread, the installation pics loaded on my phone just fine. Any thoughts?
Cheers
azura

Postby Plumb Perfect on Wed, 13 Jun 2018 3:36 +0000

Hey guys,

Do these TRD CAI’s still exist? I’m having troubles finding them on eBay where they were advertised before.

Hope they haven’t disappeared! If so is the Volant version still the same thing and can it be used?

Cheers
Plumb Perfect

Postby lawny on Thu, 05 Jul 2018 10:26 +0000

Gday Gulfstream ,

i am very curious to learn if in the meantime a different method, or a new toy on the market has made the 06 hilux 1grfe TRD CAI able to adapt to the firewall without having to shift the hole in the gaurd for the intake.
i have read a couple posts on tacoma world though the models do vary slightly , but adaptive techniques have been noted onn there

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4 ... -pics.html

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/saf ... ke.504298/

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/h ... cai.html#/

https://www.amazon.com/Fernco-1056-43-F ... queryr1-20

viewtopic.php?t=7463

so all im trying to do is find the CAI best suited without having to cut a hole inside the gaurd
would you please be able to comment , i would really appreciate it
i have purchased the tacoma headers 09 from USA and am waiting to get a bit more from the original exhaust before i splash the cash , but will definately fit the CAI immediately as the hot box on top of the manifold is like a spaceship!
Hope to hear from you
Lawny
lawny

Postby Gulfstream8 on Thu, 12 Jul 2018 5:15 +0000

lawny wrote:Gday Gulfstream ,

i am very curious to learn if in the meantime a different method, or a new toy on the market has made the 06 hilux 1grfe TRD CAI able to adapt to the firewall without having to shift the hole in the gaurd for the intake.
i have read a couple posts on tacoma world though the models do vary slightly , but adaptive techniques have been noted onn there

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4 ... -pics.html

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/saf ... ke.504298/

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/h ... cai.html#/

https://www.amazon.com/Fernco-1056-43-F ... queryr1-20

viewtopic.php?t=7463

so all im trying to do is find the CAI best suited without having to cut a hole inside the gaurd
would you please be able to comment , i would really appreciate it
i have purchased the tacoma headers 09 from USA and am waiting to get a bit more from the original exhaust before i splash the cash , but will definately fit the CAI immediately as the hot box on top of the manifold is like a spaceship!
Hope to hear from you
Lawny

Hello Lawny

Great to hear you have the 1GR-FE and are going to do the exhaust correctly - to actually make more power and not just noise :lol:

As you can tell I put an enormous amount of research into the CAI's for our Hilux and this is the only option that fits - and just like the above comment on the exhaust the TRD CAI actually works.

The hole you need to cut is really just enlarging what is already there.

Cheers

Gulfstream8
Gulfstream8

Postby lawny on Thu, 12 Jul 2018 7:55 +0000

Hi Gulfstream ,
yes i do enjoy reading your article over and over again as i always pick up a small detail every time.
It is a very interesting read as well as the members that have also contributed to parts adding to the dimension.

i was interested in exploring the gen 8 air box , avoiding the hole cutting , though i don't have the means to continuously test with the stock pipe on or if the TRD CAI pipe Tacoma or FJ would fit and reach? after the air box was modified as stated by one of the members in NZ.

what i am doing though... is ...having a snorkel ducting ( inside gaurd ) modified ( by a plastics company whom i will detail very well when its happening ) so that my pre fitted ( well known brand ) snorkel ( on the vehicle at the time of purchase ) will adapt to a TRD CAI without the max flow venturi effect ( big small big ) though yes it will have the ram effect. I dont wish to buy another gaurd and i do want to lose the heat soak)

I gotta say though, these V6 have the down low grunt just ooozing out of it , an im way past those days of using that power on the road. So it only gets throttled in the sand dunes and tows my camper also.

So the opening will start of small and go over to the ducting and outlet which remains 100mm all through to the bell mouth - which i am patiently waiting on along with the rest of the PTR03 95030 KIT

i will photo it all , testing will have to be at the fuel bowser and ... the "seat of pants" lol.., then eventually i will put my Tacoma headers on since i have the air going in there i will be able to efficiently remove it also ( those genuine 1GR-FE manifolds are real slappers !!! :idea: )

Its taken me a while to get this far - and its not even my research!! but good things happen with patience. Im really glad you got your photos back on to..the old GRFE deserves justice.Really detailed and researched work Gulfstream - thank you.

Lawny
lawny

Postby HK1837 on Fri, 13 Jul 2018 5:14 +0000

Dyno it with and without the snorkel, and see how much hp the snorkel takes away. I've seen a few comparisons and generally they remove between 5-8kW at the back wheels.
HK1837

Postby lawny on Fri, 13 Jul 2018 2:52 +0000

I can go to that extent , admittingly i know the vortex effect is changed and or removed from having the snorkel , when out on the road , the ram effect is there- via the design , and on a dyno it would be hard to feed or replicate that effect of air being fed into the intake.
i am working with the heat soak is removed and the air flow becomes less restricted having no sharp bends ,a small to large intake to outlet on the snorkel, a better designed intake tube after the air box , along with the bell mouth via the intake at the air box.
It is going slightly against the grain?but how much i would like to find out.
Along with that if i can get better air flow than originally , having a well designed exhaust will compliment that.
Those Tacoma Headers are beautiful , they flow much better than those original slappers!! 8-) and so will the rest of the exhaust :D

i don't doubt numbers will vary on snorkle setups vs traditional gaurd intake -
id like to get better fuel consumption and hopefully better low down to mid range torque
and can only share results for experience and other peoples benefit and i'm grateful to Gulfstream for such detailed and accurate information

Cheers Lawny

[Don't trust everything you see. Even salt looks like sugar :mrgreen:]
Last edited by lawny on Fri, 13 Jul 2018 3:13 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
lawny

Postby lawny on Fri, 13 Jul 2018 3:01 +0000

I can go to that extent , admittingly i know the vortex effect is changed and or removed from having the snorkel , when out on the road , the ram effect is there- via the design , and on a dyno it would be hard to feed or replicate that effect of air being fed into the intake.
i am working with the heat soak is removed and the air flow becomes less restricted having no sharp bends ,a small to large intake to outlet on the snorkel, a better designed intake tube after the air box , along with the bell mouth via the intake at the air box.
It is going slightly against the grain?but how much i would like to find out.
Along with that if i can get better air flow than originally , having a well designed exhaust will compliment that.
Those Tacoma Headers are beautiful , they flow much better than those original slappers!! 8-) and so will the rest of the exhaust :D

i don't doubt numbers will vary on snorkle setups vs traditional gaurd intake -
id like to get better fuel consumption and hopefully better low down to mid range torque
and can only share results for experience and other peoples benefit and i'm grateful to Gulfstream for such detailed and accurate information

Cheers Lawny

[Don't trust everything you see. Even salt looks like sugar :mrgreen:]
lawny

Postby HK1837 on Fri, 13 Jul 2018 3:55 +0000

Will be keen to see your results. I know mine suffers from the original intake system but I would never fit a snorkel as i'll lose power. I researched a lot before I fitted a Beaudesert Exhausts 2.75" system from HPC coated extractors back. It was no magic bullet for massive torque gains (Supercharger wears that crown!) but it was a big gain across the board in both power and torque - I dynoed it before and after. There should be a curve on my shed profile where you can see the before and after, it is the first curve that shows dead stock on 98 vs the exhaust on 98. The only change to the car at the time (2011 SR5 V6 auto) was 17" wheels and 265/65/27 tyres fitted, but they are on both dyno runs so it is a straight head to head comparison. The second pdf shows the car with the exhaust but compares E10 and 98.
HK1837

Postby HK1837 on Fri, 02 Nov 2018 11:33 +0000

I finally got around to ordering a Tacoma CAI from the USA, found one on Ebay from a big US Toyota dealer. Once I get it on I'll dyno it again and see if I can line the 4 curves up on the same graph (all on same dyno):

Standard 2011 V6 auto except 15" wheels & 255/70/15 replaced with 17" & 265/65/17 tyres on 98 fuel.

Same as above with HPC coated extractors, high flow cats and full 2.75" system with XEDE processor.

As above but Supercharged.

As above with CAI.
HK1837

Postby reallyxxxxxxloud on Wed, 30 Dec 2020 8:34 +0000

Sorry to bring this back from the dead. Did anyone set this up on a TRD Hilux. Would it be beneficial over the factory airbox/liquid cooled intercooler?
reallyxxxxxxloud

Postby Gulfstream8 on Mon, 08 Mar 2021 8:56 +0000

reallyxxxxxxloud wrote:Sorry to bring this back from the dead. Did anyone set this up on a TRD Hilux. Would it be beneficial over the factory airbox/liquid cooled intercooler?

Yes - a large number of people in the USA have installed the TRD CAI on TRD Supercharged Tacomas with positive results.
However, if you have a snorkel fitted you will not see anywhere near the positive results you would expect without one.
Gulfstream8

Postby HK1837 on Mon, 08 Mar 2021 1:23 +0000

Mine is still in its box, never got around to fitting it. I doubt I ever will now, will probably replace the Hilux with either a Ram1500 or a Jeep Gladiator with a supercharger before the instant asset writeoff ends. I did consider a base spec Colorado that was for sale near me a few weeks ago but as it was an Xtra cab so decided not to. It had been converted to an LSA and 6L80E auto.
HK1837

Postby Plumb Perfect on Tue, 09 Mar 2021 1:42 +0000

HK1837 wrote:Mine is still in its box, never got around to fitting it. I doubt I ever will now, will probably replace the Hilux with either a Ram1500 or a Jeep Gladiator with a supercharger before the instant asset writeoff ends. I did consider a base spec Colorado that was for sale near me a few weeks ago but as it was an Xtra cab so decided not to. It had been converted to an LSA and 6L80E auto.
Let me know if you would like to sell it.
I’ve been saying I’ll do it for years but never got round to it. Might just push me to do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plumb Perfect

Postby Philby on Sat, 27 Mar 2021 5:15 +0000

Gulfstream8 wrote:
reallyxxxxxxloud wrote:Sorry to bring this back from the dead. Did anyone set this up on a TRD Hilux. Would it be beneficial over the factory airbox/liquid cooled intercooler?

Yes - a large number of people in the USA have installed the TRD CAI on TRD Supercharged Tacomas with positive results.
However, if you have a snorkel fitted you will not see anywhere near the positive results you would expect without one.

As Gulfstream mentioned this mod has been carried out many times with success and with Gulfstream himself doing extensive testing to backup the gains in a N/A application.
One thing to consider when fitting the TRD CAI is the diameter of the induction pipe where the Mas Airflow (MAF) sensor is mounted as against the standard induction pipe.
If the diameter has changed then the MAF scaling has changed due to the air flow velocity increasing/decreasing causing an either richer or leaner lambda.
The MAF not only provides information to the ECU for fuel calculation but it also provides the load axis for the ignition table so if the MAF scaling has changed due to a change in pipe diameter the load axis has also changed. The 1GR-FE engine timing is knock limited so if knock is detected, the ECU will reduce spark timing until no knock is detected and then start to re-introduce timing until reaching the specified timing as per the ignition table.
If running continuously under knock limited conditions you will certainly notice a drop in performance.
Something to consider...
Philby

Previous

Return to Engines