Rattle noise from Engine bay/turbo

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Re: Rattle noise from Engine bay/turbo

Postby b.c2012sr on Thu, 01 Feb 2018 12:26 +0000

Hi Guys,

I have a late 2012sr D/C 3.0TD auto with almost 100k on the clock,
I have been hearing what I think is what you fellas are describing but I'm not sure. this is my first lux and i really like this Ute however this rattle is driving me insane, sometimes i think i can hear it worse than others but again am not sure if the noise I'm hearing is the light load rattle or something more sinister, iv had the car for about a year and a half, and in this time cant say weather the noise has gotten worse or I've become more sensitive to it. to me it sounds like pre ignition in a petrol with the timing being too far advanced, I hear this noise from about 1200 rpm all the way up to about 2400rpm with it being quite prominent at cruising speed, I had the valve clearances done or not done but was certainly charged for the privilege of having the car overnight by Toyota at 80k, Oil screen in sump looks clean though drain hole, Have cleaned MAF sensor & MAP filter, EGR Reads OK on EDS scanguage, it seems to make no difference hot or cold, fuel suppliers seem to have no impact on it although it generally gets Caltex Premium, 2 Stroke oil in the fuel doesn't quieten it down, different engine oils seem to make no difference, it gets Dello 400. I'm currently running two products from Cost Effective Maintenance in the fuel being the CRD fuel enhancer & FTC Decarbonizer although currently on the first tank of juice since adding these products & cant say i notice any difference. fuel economy seems pretty good to me with the average being between 9-10 ltrs per 100Kms with a mixture of highway, around town and off road use. The ute seems to have about the same amount of poke as any other non modified hilux i have driven, doesn't blow any smoke hot or cold.
Apologies for the long winded post has anybody found a definitive cause of this noise?
Also the next step is to have it looked at by a diesel expert however with my work i often get thrown on a plane at very short notice with no idea when I'll be back, making it very difficult to book it in somewhere.
Are there any any Members is the south Brisbane / Bay side area with techstreem or similar who would be willing to donate some of their valuable time to plug the old girl in to check feedback values ect so I have an idea of what is going on with injectors and such. perhaps in exchange for some frosty amber fluid of their choosing?
any help, suggestions, advice or info is greatly appreciated

Cheers. Ben
b.c2012sr

Postby Sam Gribley on Tue, 13 Feb 2018 2:27 +0000

Have the same noise and it drives me insane. I'm 90% sure it's coming from the turbo. Mechanic told me it's a "turbo leak" but I'm confident he coudn't actually hear it due to industrial deafness and was just going off what I was saying. There seems to be dozens of mentions of similar noise in other topics but with no solution.

To be clear, this isn't just the "normal" hilux d4d engine noise. I have no problems with that at all. This ticking/clicking/whatever is driving me ape shit though.
Sam Gribley

Postby Sam Gribley on Tue, 13 Feb 2018 3:10 +0000

Victory! My noise is being caused by the throw out bearing ( I should have mentioned the squeak involved with the noise).

STOKED that it isn't the turbo but not happy because I'll have to take the transmission out.
Sam Gribley

Postby TOYZX on Tue, 13 Feb 2018 4:54 +0000

Good news mate! I've had to do mine a couple of times now, can knock it over in an arvo over some tins.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby Sam Gribley on Wed, 14 Feb 2018 1:58 +0000

TOYZX wrote:Good news mate! I've had to do mine a couple of times now, can knock it over in an arvo over some tins.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I've actually just been reading a few of your posts in other clutch related threads haha. I have very little mechanical experience but I reckon I can manage it, I'll be sure to do a shit load of pre-reading though. If anybody knows of any good threads (or info elsewhere) to read first, please point me in the right direction.

Extreme outback seems to have a lot of good feedback so I might go with them I think. Now that I know what it is I'm not super stressed about it, it's not urgent.
Sam Gribley

Postby jas6395 on Sat, 03 Nov 2018 11:30 +0000

How long can you leave the throwout bearing? Mines started making a little squeak.
jas6395

Postby scottellis88 on Sun, 04 Nov 2018 7:27 +0000

this metallic rattle i have sounds very similar to electrics shorting? i need to do some investigating it only happens when my revs are under 2k and it does not happen on every journey i take which is strange?
it definitely sounds in the engine bay to the drivers side, not clutch related even though mine is due for replacement.
scottellis88

Postby brian.bozo on Sun, 04 Nov 2018 9:25 +0000

Many of us have a tinkling sound at the turbo....it's the stepper motor and turbo vanes.
Better qualified people can probably confirm this for you.
brian.bozo

Postby scottellis88 on Mon, 05 Nov 2018 12:07 +0000

Has anyone successfully had it fixed? What was required?
scottellis88

Postby brian.bozo on Wed, 07 Nov 2018 6:17 +0000

Not that I know of.
brian.bozo

Previous

Return to Engines