Aftermarket Top mount intercooler

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Re: Aftermarket Top mount intercooler

Postby BCH on Wed, 20 Sep 2017 9:17 +0000

I can't guess where the water inlet & outlet is on this thing Brendonnnn?? Any more photos?
BCH

Postby Gipsy on Thu, 21 Sep 2017 6:07 +0000

The OEM cowl apparently directs the airflow through the intercooler so by this measure running without it may not be the maximum improvement possible. It would be interesting to see if you have even better results with it in place. Following with interest :) Also good info to hear what the egt was before and after. Any figures? As we all know the 1kd destroys it's pistons with high egt so anything which reduces them must be a bonus! Father Christmas has my request for one under the tree :D

Speaking of egt, I have a chip and egt probe which switches the chip off at a pre set egt. Last week, towing 2.5 tonne over the moonby range with the cutout set to 520c the lux was noticeable as it switched between on and off the chip. After 520c I backed off the throttle to notice very little speed loss uphill and temps dropping immediately to sub500 so there is little need to boot your lux more than necessary to ascent the climb. As I said, anything which can reduce egt's must be a BIG bonus. :D
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Brondonnnn on Thu, 21 Sep 2017 6:46 +0000

BCH wrote:I can't guess where the water inlet & outlet is on this thing Brendonnnn?? Any more photos?

Hi mate it's still air to air like the original as far I can see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wisdom is not wearing a red shirt to Bunnings
Brondonnnn
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Brondonnnn on Thu, 21 Sep 2017 6:58 +0000

Gipsy wrote:The OEM cowl apparently directs the airflow through the intercooler so by this measure running without it may not be the maximum improvement possible. It would be interesting to see if you have even better results with it in place. Following with interest :) Also good info to hear what the egt was before and after. Any figures? As we all know the 1kd destroys it's pistons with high egt so anything which reduces them must be a bonus! Father Christmas has my request for one under the tree :D

Speaking of egt, I have a chip and egt probe which switches the chip off at a pre set egt. Last week, towing 2.5 tonne over the moonby range with the cutout set to 520c the lux was noticeable as it switched between on and off the chip. After 520c I backed off the throttle to notice very little speed loss uphill and temps dropping immediately to sub500 so there is little need to boot your lux more than necessary to ascent the climb. As I said, anything which can reduce egt's must be a BIG bonus. :D

Interesting stuff!
With regards to the OEM Cowl I definitely do agree that having it on directs airflow to the intercooler however interestingly enough since installing this one the difference between having it on and off is not as noticeable as the original one was before. Why? Well I suspect maybe it's due to the fins on this one being slightly bigger providing more efficient cooling ? Not sure .. just my guess.
I haven't closely monitored my EGTs to be honest however I have never seen it go above 450
Brondonnnn
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Gipsy on Fri, 22 Sep 2017 9:10 +0000

Why WA, no hills there! ;)

The website says water to air intercooler so I'm confused, but if it works better than OEM that's cool (pardon the pun)

Only problem I see with no cowl is the engine room air temp may reduce the cooling efficiency because the bonnet scoop directs pure cold air through the intercooler whilst no cowl may diffuse the cool air with hot engine air.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Brondonnnn on Fri, 22 Sep 2017 4:20 +0000

Gipsy wrote:Why WA, no hills there! ;)

The website says water to air intercooler so I'm confused, but if it works better than OEM that's cool (pardon the pun)

Only problem I see with no cowl is the engine room air temp may reduce the cooling efficiency because the bonnet scoop directs pure cold air through the intercooler whilst no cowl may diffuse the cool air with hot engine air.

Yeah I must admit we don't really have any hills here like you guys do haha. The biggest drop in EGT's I noticed though was when I removed my CAT and muffler however this is abit of a grey area.

I too was confused with the website until it was pointed out to me it says water cooled EGR "type" [emoji28] my old one was leaking so either way I needed a new one and this has done the job well. I'll refit the cowl and see how my intake temps go over the next week
Brondonnnn
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mrmal on Sat, 23 Dec 2017 6:46 +0000

Upgrading an Intercooler mounted over a 100 degree engine....... Sounds redundant when heat rises and soaks in...
Mrmal

Postby Gipsy on Sun, 24 Dec 2017 5:18 +0000

Mrmal wrote:Upgrading an Intercooler mounted over a 100 degree engine....... Sounds redundant when heat rises and soaks in...

True if you're standing still, but when driving there is a positive cool airflow through the bonnet scoop and over the intercooler. Heatsoak is a problem in traffic and off-road but at those speeds the benefit of intercooler is minimal at best. The front mount intercooler with a fan is the best way if you need low speed intercooler.
Gipsy

Postby Brondonnnn on Sun, 24 Dec 2017 1:39 +0000

True if you're standing still, but when driving there is a positive cool airflow through the bonnet scoop and over the intercooler. Heatsoak is a problem in traffic and off-road but at those speeds the benefit of intercooler is minimal at best. The front mount intercooler with a fan is the best way if you need low speed intercooler.[/quote]

X2

At the end of the day there is pros and cons to having both. The top mount suits my needs so I’ll stick to it
Brondonnnn
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Gipsy on Sun, 24 Dec 2017 2:40 +0000

Me too :D
Gipsy

Postby bee08t on Sat, 31 Mar 2018 5:27 +0000

Has anyone else got any more info or reviews on the Legendex big boy intercooler, I'm very keen to get one just trying to justify the cost, FMIC is not an option for me, after lots of research I found this one forefrontindustries.com.au top mount intercooler upgrade for d4d 1kd, so I rang the guy to find out a bit more info then what's on his web site he told me that its made in China but full testing done in Australia, 22% bigger than stock, some high flow bars in it that flows 30% more, lowers egt's by 30 degrees and no boost pressure loss across the intercooler, this all sounds pretty good to me for $350. Anyone on here got one on these fitted that can back up these numbers?
bee08t

Postby AC1981 on Mon, 13 Sep 2021 6:11 +0000

bee08t wrote:Has anyone else got any more info or reviews on the Legendex big boy intercooler, I'm very keen to get one just trying to justify the cost, FMIC is not an option for me, after lots of research I found this one forefrontindustries.com.au top mount intercooler upgrade for d4d 1kd, so I rang the guy to find out a bit more info then what's on his web site he told me that its made in China but full testing done in Australia, 22% bigger than stock, some high flow bars in it that flows 30% more, lowers egt's by 30 degrees and no boost pressure loss across the intercooler, this all sounds pretty good to me for $350. Anyone on here got one on these fitted that can back up these numbers?

???
AC1981

Postby Gipsy on Tue, 14 Sep 2021 6:18 +0000

Without spending lots of dollars on dyno testing before and after I doubt anyone has the data. Logic tells me if the intercooler is more efficient the temps could (and I emphasise could) go down but if there's no benefit why spend the money? Reduced egt is not likely just by fitting one of these alone, the main aim is to increase airflow and cooling which in theory produces more power but I can't see lower egt's. In conjunction with a bigger turbo and increased boost it would work. It will only marginally help with cooling but with potential loss of boost pressure. Any benefit will be cancelled out by a heavier right foot I think. If you want lower egt's fit a bigger exhaust and dump pipe. That will trump a bigger intercooler instantly and increased airflow equals increases in power/torque. The cheap way is exhaust, it gets more expensive and more difficult from there! Without increase airflow out, the intercooler would be very minimal in its effect but added to the exhaust, then there's a benefit.
Gipsy

Previous

Return to Engines