Hilux V6 with Tacoma Headers and tuned length Y pipe

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Re: Hilux V6 with Tacoma Headers and tuned length Y pipe

Postby Gulfstream8 on Thu, 16 Feb 2017 5:54 +0000

lefty-go wrote:Hi mate you are awesome. I just bought a V6 Hilux xtra cab and thought the original headers looked restrictive. I will be doing everything as close to you as possible. I have throughly enjoyed spending hours reading your info. Thank you so much. Craig

Ha ha Cheers Lefty I have been called a lot of things but not awesome :lol:

You have a great engine there just make sure you service it and use quality oil and a factory oil filter and keep that oil clean like a surgeon when you change the oil. The 1GR-FE will last a long time.

As for the standard headers on the Australian model there not necessarily "Restrictive" - they have been designed to help produce that massive torque just off idle. That is why if you replace them with long tube extractors you will lose low down torque.

Cheers
Gulfstream8

Postby 1GRPSI on Sat, 11 Mar 2017 7:34 +0000

Gulfstream8 wrote:Tacoma 2009-2011 Header with tuned Y pipe onto Hilux, Prado 1GR-FE 4.0 V6

Tacoma exhaust Manifold (Left) next to a lump of metal on the Right!

Just to clarify,

The stock Hilux header is a "dual skin" manifold also.

It's interesting that there were improvements made moving to the Tacoma headers. Goes to show that a few minimal changes can net an improvement.
Was the dyno comparison made with just the header change ? Or was it the whole system ?
1GRPSI

Postby tazmancrash on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 1:00 +0000

Just out of curiosity, what are the tacoma headers like next to a set of after market headers? Are pacemakers better?
tazmancrash

Postby fracturedranga on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 8:46 +0000

tazmancrash wrote:Just out of curiosity, what are the tacoma headers like next to a set of after market headers? Are pacemakers better?

Read the first post in the thread mate
fracturedranga

Postby 1GRPSI on Sun, 26 Mar 2017 9:16 +0000

tazmancrash wrote:Just out of curiosity, what are the tacoma headers like next to a set of after market headers? Are pacemakers better?

It would seem the comparison was std headers "vs" Tacoma headers and a full system.
Not really comparing apples with apples.
If you are naturally aspirated, the Tacoma headers may be sufficient (with a full system).

As mentioned before, the 1GR-FE has a 35mm exhaust port in standard form.
A standard set of Hilux headers have a conical inlet that starts out at 42mm

But tapers back to 36mm, closely matching the exhaust port diameter.

They are also a dual skin design, so no advantage with the Tacoma ones there...

The position of the A/F sensor is debatable between the two. Its that close that it wont make much difference.
If anything, the Hilux position is allowing the gas to mix more completely before being sampled.

I run a set of Monster rides long tube extractors on my supercharged 1GR-FE.

The primaries are 40mm, not a great deal larger, just in more free flowing design.

1GRPSI

Postby 1GRPSI on Sun, 26 Mar 2017 9:33 +0000

Moving down the system we start to see some restrictions...

The Hilux headers have a post CAT diameter of 54mm

No CAT in the long tube headers, and they have a outlet diameter of 54mm

The standard Hilux exhaust system then has reduction to 40mm and a second CAT.

The aftermarket system has a reduction to 51mm (only 3mm) and then goes through a high flow CAT.

The factory headers definitely maximize torque in a useful rev range.
Do your research before you decide on one system or another.....
1GRPSI

Postby Sideways on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 12:11 +0000

Yep, I've got the long tube Hurricanes and their 3" system on my TRD. Wish I'd never put it on :cry:
It DOES produce more up top but drones badly on the highway and has lost torque down low, not to mention the check engine light coming on due to the O2 sensors.......
Has anyone resolved this issue with the O2's? Upon advice from Hurricane, I fitted the 90 degree spacers but to no improvement. The light came back on after a day and of course fuel consumption has increased because of the sensor reading.
I have read somewhere they bypass the signal on the Tacoma's but have yet to find a definitive answer on the Hilux.
Good drivers have dead bugs on the side windows..........
Sideways

Postby taresk on Mon, 03 Apr 2017 4:11 +0000

Sideways wrote:Yep, I've got the long tube Hurricanes and their 3" system on my TRD. Wish I'd never put it on :cry:
It DOES produce more up top but drones badly on the highway and has lost torque down low, not to mention the check engine light coming on due to the O2 sensors.......
Has anyone resolved this issue with the O2's? Upon advice from Hurricane, I fitted the 90 degree spacers but to no improvement. The light came back on after a day and of course fuel consumption has increased because of the sensor reading.
I have read somewhere they bypass the signal on the Tacoma's but have yet to find a definitive answer on the Hilux.

That's what always worried me about these systems, because of the early, flat torque curve you tend to be below 3k rpm most of the time, you don't wan't to lose any of the low torque. I'm not sure how they check that either, because it's at part throttle, so it won't be the same as when you're on a dyno with wide open throttle.
taresk

Postby lawnster on Mon, 03 Apr 2017 7:24 +0000

Hi
wondering if any of this will adapt to a 2006 1gfe v6 at all please ?
am very interested in the extra torque/grunt and and better fuel economy.

cheers

Lawnster
lawnster

Postby taresk on Mon, 03 Apr 2017 9:06 +0000

lawnster wrote:Hi
wondering if any of this will adapt to a 2006 1gfe v6 at all please ?
am very interested in the extra torque/grunt and and better fuel economy.

cheers

Lawnster

This was all done on a 1gr-fe Hilux, so if you buy the parts suggested, and find a good exhaust shop to do the equal length merge pipe, you can do the same.
taresk

Postby lawnster on Tue, 25 Apr 2017 10:04 +0000

Sideways wrote:Will be watching this with very keen interest Gulfstream. How soon?

Your timing is good - both mine and a mate's TRD's will be getting Birthdays hopefully in the next few weeks.
TRD CAI's, Hurricane long tube headers and custom exhausts (waiting on a price from our local exhaust guy but may end up with the whole MR system).
Would also be interested to see if adding a snorkel in combo with a CAI has any benefits. My mate's is the show-pony streeter and mine the mud pig so it would be interesting to compare standard vs snorkel .

As most of us would use the CAI as a tuning start point, the next logical step is the exhaust - 2.5" for NA and 3" seems to be recommended for S/C but I'm concerned that may be too big - not providing enough back pressure?
We've found this with some of our rally cars over the years - gone a little bigger and lost power/torque.
The last thing you want is to lose power down low just for a little high end gain - it's not as if they're spending hours at 5 grand around a race track....

Cheers,

S
Hi would any of this adapt to the 2006 1Grfe engine here in Australia please ?

Cheers

Lawnster
lawnster

Postby lawnster on Tue, 25 Apr 2017 10:22 +0000

lawnster wrote:
Sideways wrote:Will be watching this with very keen interest Gulfstream. How soon?

Your timing is good - both mine and a mate's TRD's will be getting Birthdays hopefully in the next few weeks.
TRD CAI's, Hurricane long tube headers and custom exhausts (waiting on a price from our local exhaust guy but may end up with the whole MR system).
Would also be interested to see if adding a snorkel in combo with a CAI has any benefits. My mate's is the show-pony streeter and mine the mud pig so it would be interesting to compare standard vs snorkel .

As most of us would use the CAI as a tuning start point, the next logical step is the exhaust - 2.5" for NA and 3" seems to be recommended for S/C but I'm concerned that may be too big - not providing enough back pressure?
We've found this with some of our rally cars over the years - gone a little bigger and lost power/torque.
The last thing you want is to lose power down low just for a little high end gain - it's not as if they're spending hours at 5 grand around a race track....

Cheers,

S
Hi would any of this adapt to the 2006 1Grfe engine here in Australia please ?

Cheers

Lawnster
Yep sorry got that last reply cheers
would you be able to provide a guestimate including o2 sensors and fuel sensors and brackets as well please
cheers
just to get an idea before chewing off more than i can handle

Lawnster
lawnster

Postby Sideways on Fri, 05 May 2017 12:11 +0000

The entire 3" system including ceramic coated headers was around $1600 from memory. Do yourself a BIG favour and buy some Tacoma manifolds from the US and have a system built for that - you'll be much happier with the result!
Good drivers have dead bugs on the side windows..........
Sideways

Postby lawnster on Sat, 12 Aug 2017 12:25 +0000

Hey all , have purchased the genuine exhaust manifolds for a Tacoma 2009 v6 1gfe ( from wrecking )as well as the air fuel sensors and stay bracket
Will do some fuel / kilometre testing before I fit all these , to have something to compare with.

If any of you are interested in Gulfstreams blog I have the original photos before they got photobucketed
I may possibly resubmit his blog with photos also , if Gulf Stream doesn't mind either.
I also have the Cai trd blog an photos also.
lawnster

Postby foundry_man on Wed, 25 Oct 2017 4:20 +0000

lawnster wrote:Hey all , have purchased the genuine exhaust manifolds for a Tacoma 2009 v6 1gfe ( from wrecking )as well as the air fuel sensors and stay bracket
Will do some fuel / kilometre testing before I fit all these , to have something to compare with.

If any of you are interested in Gulfstreams blog I have the original photos before they got photobucketed
I may possibly resubmit his blog with photos also , if Gulf Stream doesn't mind either.
I also have the Cai trd blog an photos also.

where did you source the tacoma headers from?
came back to re read these threads and get crackin on my hilux again.

hopefully you get the go ahead to repost the photos!
should have bought a 6 stud
foundry_man

Postby tazmancrash on Tue, 31 Oct 2017 12:39 +0000

How much did you pay for the headers & do you have a link to where you got them from?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
tazmancrash

Postby jakelux on Tue, 07 Nov 2017 12:35 +0000

From memory i think he made them custom.
There are some compatible from the states and Monster rides used to make them also...
I don't think you would get much change from $2000..
jakelux

Postby Gulfstream8 on Thu, 12 Jul 2018 5:29 +0000

Hello Guys

The headers need to come from a 2009 to 2011 Tacoma as per the fist page of this article says. If you read through it, I have provided all the information you will need to know to install this system - including how to purchase them.

You can either purchase band new Tacoma headers from a USA dearlership (including Hawaii which means you can bring them home in your suitcase) or get them from wreaking yards.

Cheers

Gulfstream8
Gulfstream8

Postby robe0455 on Sun, 29 Mar 2020 1:25 +0000

Gulfstream8 wrote:Tacoma 2009-2011 Header with tuned Y pipe onto Hilux, Prado 1GR-FE 4.0 V6
The above exhaust system works because a lot of engineering calculations went into getting the pipe work size and length correct for the engine displacement and the RPM range that it operates in.

Just wondering with regard to this, whether the calculations would be different for a 2014 FJ? Obviously the newer Dual VVTI engine. Also assuming that the exhaust manifolds would be the same as your upgraded units? Have you retained the rear cats or have they been replaced with the y-pipe?

Trying to piece together the best way to go, and your post has been the most insightful I have seen with regard to the 1GR.

Cheers!
robe0455

Postby Gulfstream8 on Wed, 19 Aug 2020 8:08 +0000

robe0455 wrote:
The above exhaust system works because a lot of engineering calculations went into getting the pipe work size and length correct for the engine displacement and the RPM range that it operates in.

Just wondering with regard to this, whether the calculations would be different for a 2014 FJ? Obviously the newer Dual VVTI engine. Also assuming that the exhaust manifolds would be the same as your upgraded units? Have you retained the rear cats or have they been replaced with the y-pipe?

Trying to piece together the best way to go, and your post has been the most insightful I have seen with regard to the 1GR.

Cheers!

Hello

The FJ already has the better exhaust manifolds, so please keep them! For others reading this - the Dual VVTi manifolds will not fit the standard 1GR! Getting back to the FJ - as it's still a 4.0lt with similar powerbands you can copy my exhaust installation for better results! BTW standard cats are in place! Also to achieve maximum results out of the exhaust you will need the TRD CAI

Cheers

Gulfstream8
Gulfstream8

PreviousNext

Return to Engines