Hilux V6 with Tacoma Headers and tuned length Y pipe

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Hilux V6 with Tacoma Headers and tuned length Y pipe

Postby Gulfstream8 on Wed, 26 Nov 2014 1:44 +0000

Tacoma 2009-2011 Header with tuned Y pipe onto Hilux, Prado 1GR-FE 4.0 V6

Tacoma exhaust Manifold (Left) next to a lump of metal on the Right!

Below - Tacoma Exhaust manifold onto Hilux 1GR-FE 4.0 LT V6

Tacoma manifold Right Side P/N 17140-0P140 bolts up perfectly!

Tacoma manifold Left Side P/N 17150-0P140 you will also require the Tacoma Manifold stay P/N 17119-0P010

Left side Tacoma Manifold stay P/N 17119-0P010 – bolts up perfectly!

You will also need the Tacoma A/F Sensors - 89467-040 L/H and 89467-04050 R/H - you don't need to but I also replaced the O2 sensors (rear ones) 894565-04340 L/H and 89465-04350

304 Stainless Steel – 2.25” inch into 2.5” with a Bruns Stainless Steel “Tuned” length collector and equal length pipes from manifold with Stainless Steel “V” Bands and all Tig Welded

Burns Stainless Tuned Length Y Pipe 2.25” to 2.5”

Centre Muffler – Borla ProXS 40665 – 2.5” Centre in Offset out

Below Rear Muffler – Borla ProXS 40352 – 2.5” Offset in Offset out

Rear Muffler – most manufactures now place a muffler at the rear for max noise reduction
Below Rear Muffler – Borla ProXS 40352 – 2.5” Offset in Offset out

Results – Below is KW and NW – 10Kw (13.4Hp) Gain plus Massive torque gains at all RPM!
8.2% KW gain and 8.3% NW gain - to put this into prospective that's Aprox 190KW and 410NW at the flywheel

Results – Below is KW and A/F - Still heaps of fuel so will try the TRD Tacoma CAI when I have a chance as it has a larger diameter pipe where MAF Meter sits and its been reported on Tacomas to trim up the fuel and increase HP

Is it worth all this work?
Upping the Torque to 410nw makes a massive difference to drivability and fuel economy but compared to the outright numbers of Supercharging the short answer is no! But it's worth remembering that the TRD Hilux has 453nw so the result is great!

But if your like me and don't want to run a "Piggy Back ECU" you have no other power up options - Philby on Newhilux is the only guy I know smart enough to use factory software on his aftermarket TRD Supercharged SR5 Hilux

After that is it still worth it :lol:
Anyone who has driven the 1GR-FE Hilux Auto will tell you it drives like an expensive car - well I can tell you after installing the Tacoma 2009-2011 Header and Tuned Length exhaust it is on another level - its just so quite and has so much more torque!

It now holds gears much much longer including the same run with 800Kg in the back but on a hotter day!

Its like driving the FJ Cruiser Dual VVTI V6 but in a much lighter chassi

Fuel economy improved enormously! This could be in part to the A/F sensor being positioned closer to the engine for faster processing - but its also due to the massive torque gain!!

Tacoma 2009-2011 Dual Skin Exhaust Manifold advantages
There is a reason why this design is used on the Aurion engine, is350 and the newer 1GR-FE Dual VVTI.
Yes the ticking is GONE and also that horrible restrictive air noise is gone but also the dual skin keeps the exhaust gases much hotter helping the cats work more effectively and also promote gas flow.

Much more environmentally friendly
The location of the A/F sensor closer to the engine enables faster ECU processing helping fuel economy and cleaner emissions. It has also stopped the tendency for the ECU with standard exhausts to "over compensate" with fuel when you floor the pedal or pull away hard from the lights - this has lead to some standard headers melting the cats!

Why did the USA get the better Headers and not Australia
California has some of the worlds toughest pollution rules so Toyota USA had to keep developing the 1GR-FE and as such the 2012+ now has EGR (these will not fit our engine) - plus they were beginning to lose sales to the Nissan Navara 200KW V6 Equivalent - by doing this it would put the Tacoma at 190KW but because its lighter its performance is better.

We did not get them I think due in part to they are more expensive to make and the fact Toyota Australia does not sell many V6's and our pollution laws are not as tough unfortunately for motor vehicles (so Holden and Ford could complete).

Tuned length & correct size pipe work for both Forced Induction & normally aspirated - bigger is not better :lol:

A lot of guys go too big on the pipe work of a naturally aspirated engines or too long on the "Primaries of Headers" and too big on the dump pipe of a Turbo and you lose exhaust velocity which in turn reduces or stops the scavenging effect -- or to put it another way the "Vacuuming Effect" that helps sucks out the cylinder ready for the next combustion cycle. Just as Turbo Charging has a massive effect on an engines performance by forcing air in; your exhaust plays a part in using the spent exhaust gases energy to help "Vacuum" out the other cylinders. You have all seen it - Honda Civics running bigger exhausts than a V8 Super car! You will lose HP and NW!!

The "Back Pressure Myth" or "Your engine has lost KW and NW because it needs cylinder filling via back pressure

The above exhaust system works because a lot of engineering calculations went into getting the pipe work size and length correct for the engine displacement and the RPM range that it operates in. Dont believe the "Myth" that 4 stroke engines require "Back Pressure" or the 1GR-FE needs back pressure for "Cylinder Filling" - this is wrong you need exhaust velocity for "Cylinder Filling" not "Back Pressure" and conversely going too big with pipe work will do the same thing. This is usually said (Back Pressure) by people who have no idea about Air Flow or exhaust systems - some will even try to then sell you a "Piggy Back" ECU to try and gain back your drop in Torque and HP after selling you their exhaust system.

I know this may be hard to believe but manufacturers do spend a lot of time on the exhaust engineering and I can assure you I had to do a lot of work to better the standard performance of the 1GR-FE Exhaust.

Engineering plays a big part in exhaust design and so many get it wrong thinking "Massive Pipes" or "Long Tube Headers".
If you are interested here is an Article on Exhaust Header Theory from Burns Stainless http://www.burnsstainless.com/theory.aspx

The example is there are plenty of 700hp Drag cars running only twin 2.5" pipes!

When you run the "correct size" pipe work and a "Tuned Length" on a V6 or V8 the scavenging effect is almost like supercharging (Ok not really) - But on a 600hp V8 it can be worth more than 30HP!

Just look above at the massive torque gain above - its everywhere!!

Oh and you also do correct size pipes and tuned length for the sound ----- so it doesn't sound like a V6 Crappydoor :lol:

What does it sound like
A lot like a European V6 and this is mainly due to the "Tuned Length" pipe work and Burns Stainless Steel Y Pipe.

The Borla mufflers do exactly what they said they would do "Turn the Volume down but up the Base" - Borla mufflers are world renowned for this and as such the Hilux has a wonderful burble under 2,000 RPM and at 1,500 RPM it could be mistaken for a V8.

The best part and one I did not expect is that its actually much quieter and its difficult to believe as the Borla mufflers are straight through - they do not contain baffles and as such almost have Zero change on the exhaust flow.

The above results are Dyno proven (with Toyota cats in place)
We have tried long tube headers and exhaust (naturally aspirated 1GR-FE) and they have resulted in a significant drop in HP and NW right where you need it most for a very poultry 7HP gain almost at redline - this has also been back up on other forums and also by people in the USA testing Long and Short Tube Extractors and various exhaust systems on the V6 Tacoma - most of these Extractors are the same as here and they are simply re-branded for us. Remember that you spend 99% of the time under 3,000RPM in a 1GR-FE V6 and any loss of KW and NW down low will destroy drive-ability and ruin fuel economy

Please dont believe bogus reports that some people make that long tube extractors will yield 30 + hp gains as this is simply not true on a naturally aspirated 1GR-FE V6 - but results may be different on Supercharged and Turbo engines.

Thank You
Advan Performance Centre for the use of their Dyno and Peters care with my Hilux
Best Exhaust - Thank You Mike for the advice on the Borla Mufflers
Burns Stainless Steel
Dallas Toyota
Performance Metalcraft - Leon's work was as good as my Aircraft Welder
And Philby for technical assistance and also having to hear me talk about supercharging it for the last 6 years :lol:
Last edited by Gulfstream8 on Wed, 27 Jul 2016 10:59 +0000, edited 39 times in total.
Gulfstream8

Re: Hilux V6 with Tacoma Headers and tuned length Y pipe

Postby 10 luxxxx on Wed, 26 Nov 2014 2:17 +0000

Love your work mate
How much all that worth.
10 luxxxx

Postby jakelux on Wed, 26 Nov 2014 2:38 +0000

Is this your bus Gulfstream?
The headers look good, nice and fat, but would be a very tight fit..!
Rear muffler hangs a bit low for offroad use.
The proof would be in the fitment (which looks like it works well) and the cost.
Any issues with oxy and air flow sensors..?
whos making it?
jakelux

Postby Gulfstream8 on Wed, 26 Nov 2014 3:50 +0000

10 luxxxx wrote:Love your work mate
How much all that worth.

Ha ha - well it was worth it if you like things done well and done right.

While my Tacoma Headers are new you can get the Tacoma Headers from USA wreckers very cheap - or you can jump on the Tacoma forums and you will find new ones for sale that guys are selling or giving away because their putting on extractors - if they only knew!
Last edited by Gulfstream8 on Thu, 27 Nov 2014 5:38 +0000, edited 4 times in total.
Gulfstream8

Postby Gulfstream8 on Wed, 26 Nov 2014 4:03 +0000

jakelux wrote:Is this your bus Gulfstream?
The headers look good, nice and fat, but would be a very tight fit..!
Rear muffler hangs a bit low for offroad use.
The proof would be in the fitment (which looks like it works well) and the cost.
Any issues with oxy and air flow sensors..?
whos making it?

Yep its my old girl

Headers fit perfectly - only one spot its gets close (20mm) but the engine torque turns away from it - I have tested it on corrugation and it does not come close at all.

Rear Muffler sits higher than spare tyre and rear pipe sits higher than original - its so so quite you could leave it off

Cost - I designed it myself with some help from a lot of people - its was a custom installation so not cheap

No issues with Fuel or ECU as I always Dyno run and test plus I had a Innovate test kit wired up for weeks
The power and torque gains are with cats - so no issues with check lights! In fact emissions are now cleaner!

Its custom - although URD in the states are doing something similar now

Last edited by Gulfstream8 on Wed, 26 Nov 2014 6:33 +0000, edited 5 times in total.
Gulfstream8

Postby Chappy78 on Wed, 26 Nov 2014 4:12 +0000

Keen on how much aswell will it be a self fit kit
Chappy78

Postby Gulfstream8 on Thu, 27 Nov 2014 3:37 +0000

Chappy78 wrote:Keen on how much aswell will it be a self fit kit

Sorry Chappy78 this is a custom job designed by myself with the help of some very intelligent people.

I posted it up to help the small number of us on here with what I think is a remarkable engine the 1GR-FE :twisted:
That is why I have provided Part Numbers and photos of everything you will need to modernize this engine yourself not for me to make money.

What I can do is if there is enough of you who are interested I will see if my fabricator will build some?

The other option you have is URD in the USA has only just released a "Tuned Length" exhaust for the Tacoma 1GR-FE But you will still need the Tacoma 2009-2011 exhaust manifolds otherwise the URD system will not bolt up.
Gulfstream8

Postby jakelux on Thu, 27 Nov 2014 3:43 +0000

Good work Mate :mrgreen:
jakelux

Postby Ben80 on Thu, 27 Nov 2014 5:00 +0000

Hey Gulfstream do you know if the aus delivered fj or 150 prado uses this manifold design?
Ben80

Postby Gulfstream8 on Thu, 27 Nov 2014 5:28 +0000

Ben80 wrote:Hey Gulfstream do you know if the aus delivered fj or 150 prado uses this manifold design?

The dual skin and better flowing and scavenging design is the same but it has a different bolt pattern.

This is due to that the Aus Fj and 150 Prado run the Dual VVTi 1GR-FE and the head is bigger.

Short answer is the 2009-2011 Tacoma header are the only ones that will fit the Aus 1GR-FE Hilux
Gulfstream8

Postby Daynger on Thu, 27 Nov 2014 5:53 +0000

Do you perchance have a video of the noise it now makes?
Also, thanks, great work.
Daynger

Postby Gulfstream8 on Thu, 27 Nov 2014 7:47 +0000

Daynger wrote:Do you perchance have a video of the noise it now makes?
Also, thanks, great work.

At the moment I only have the Dyno Videos and have not had a chance to record on the open road.

I will upload the Dyno Video to YouTube when I get a chance but as I used Two very good quality mufflers the Dyno cooling fan almost makes more noise :lol:
Gulfstream8

Postby ashh on Fri, 28 Nov 2014 5:18 +0000

My 4.0L V6 lux is primarily a load carrying work horse, but I have noticed an increase in power by just installing a snorkel to get cooler air in, and swapping out the stock rear muffler with a 6inch straight through resonater. Especially on hard acceleration it's definitely noticeable. Sounds pretty mean with the resi too lol...
Not bad for under $300 worth of mods.
ashh

Postby Gulfstream8 on Mon, 08 Dec 2014 7:27 +0000

Hilux V6 with Tuned Length Y pipe and Tacoma Headers - Update

Simply amazing!

Torque
lifting the Torque to 410nw is perfect for this Chassis - I use my Hilux as a workhorse and regularly have around 800Kg in the back and with the extra torque at all RPM it drives so effortlessly - you never have to see the other side of 2,200RPm including Hi-way driving.

Its an absolute shame Toyota did not put the Diesel Prado 410NW D4D in the Hilux and not the 340NW D4D!

Sound
Please don't let people tell you that you cannot make a V6 sound ok - Alpha Romeo was able to do it (Worlds best sound V6) and since installing the Tuned Length system and Borla mufflers I have been driving with the windows down and no music as it sounds so much better than the asthmatic standard exhaust!

I will admit that running 2 very high quality mufflers its very very quite and might be too quite for some people but I prefer to be too quite than be too loud :lol:

Fuel Economy
Massive improvement - around town and also on the Hi-way including unloaded and loaded.

This can be attributed to the Tacoma Headers and the A/F sensor being closer to the engine for faster ECU processing and also to the massive jump in Torque throughout the entire RPM range.
Gulfstream8

Postby Tradewind on Sun, 22 Mar 2015 8:16 +0000

Good work, you have done well with the combo you put together. I found the monster Rides 2.5" exhaust system and headers very good for NA, would have to look up dyno sheets again but it was something around the 28Hp gain.

Don't ever overlook the intake, there is a massive restriction there just outside the inner guard, where the extension connects to the cool air area. Its very small hole for a 4.0 to breath through.
Hilux V6 4.0 - 2006 with Supercharger. 256rwkw/320kw engine - 575Nm Torque
Tradewind

Postby cuzo4x4 on Mon, 23 Mar 2015 5:41 +0000

Awsome job.
If I have anything Good to Say it will be Above.
My Shed: cuzo's Build
Pssst, if anyone asks, I was here between 10pm and 3am last night.

Shawn
07 SR5 Dual Cab
cuzo4x4

Postby czechdave on Thu, 26 Mar 2015 6:24 +0000

Tradewind wrote:Don't ever overlook the intake, there is a massive restriction there just outside the inner guard, where the extension connects to the cool air area. Its very small hole for a 4.0 to breath through.

Hi mate,

I am just trying to picture which area you are talking about in this quote..?
Would having a snorkel eliminate this issue?

Dave.
czechdave

Postby Gulfstream8 on Thu, 26 Mar 2015 7:56 +0000

czechdave wrote:
Tradewind wrote:Don't ever overlook the intake, there is a massive restriction there just outside the inner guard, where the extension connects to the cool air area. Its very small hole for a 4.0 to breath through.

Hi mate,

I am just trying to picture which area you are talking about in this quote..?
Would having a snorkel eliminate this issue?

Dave.

Hello Dave

Its inside the mudguard and from what I understand this part is removed when you install a Snorkel - but in any case on a "normally aspirated" 1GR-FE it made absolutely no difference to KW or NW when we removed it and tested on a Dyno. But I have no doubt it could become restrictive on a Forced Induction engine - ie Turbo/Supercharged.

FYI - Some snorkel designs are reported to be restrictive (Denso say their Toyota snorkel is the least restrictive) but I have no Dyno proof of this.

Cheers
Gulfstream8
Gulfstream8

Postby Gulfstream8 on Sat, 28 Mar 2015 1:26 +0000

Hello 1GR-FE Hilux V6 lovers!

As mentioned earlier above I will be Dyno testing the TRD Tacoma CAI (Cold Air Intake) very soon on my Hilux.

I have already Dyno tested the standard Hilux air filter by removing various components ----- but please note this was on a normally aspirated 1GR-FE engine ie no turbo or supercharger! Below results may not be applicable if otherwise

1: Removal of inner guard air inlet (this component actually looks restrictive) ---- no improvement
2: Removal of rubber pipe to guard inlet --- no improvement
3: Replacement of "New" standard filter with K&N --- no improvement
4: Removal of Filter and filter cover --- lost a small amount of power.

So I will be starting a new thread once I have completed Dyno testing so as not to confuse this thread.

Why TRD CAI?
Well Toyota is claiming 18hp gain (I think this is a little ---- well :lol:) but I have tried a lot of other aftermarket items and nothing has come close to the claims made by these aftermarket manufactures (some you actually lose power or torque or both) and after trying the Toyota Tacoma headers (which actually work --- more power and more torque at all RPM) I feel Toyota would not risk too much exaggeration with the TRD CAI :? TRD actually does full testing and R&D

Also having done an enormous amount of research it looks like TRD is gaining power from this CAI not so much from the air box itself but the bigger pipe where the Air Flow meter sits - thus tricking the ECU into thinking the vehicle is not under as much load therefore you get a cleaner Fuel mixture and more power ---- if you look above at my Dyno results you will see how rich this engine gets under WOT. Also the TRD CAI is 50 States legal and contains a "Carbon Trap" which means unlike "Pod Filters" your vehicle will be 100% legal here in Australia!

Below TRD Tcaoma CAI - it's almost identical to the air box found on the 200kw Dual VVTi 1GR-FE V6 in the FJ Cruiser and Prado ------ in fact it takes the same Toyota filter P/N 17801-38051

TRD CAI on Supercharged Tacoma

TRD CAI on Normally Aspirated Tacoma
Gulfstream8

Postby Sideways on Wed, 01 Apr 2015 4:55 +0000

Will be watching this with very keen interest Gulfstream. How soon?

Your timing is good - both mine and a mate's TRD's will be getting Birthdays hopefully in the next few weeks.
TRD CAI's, Hurricane long tube headers and custom exhausts (waiting on a price from our local exhaust guy but may end up with the whole MR system).
Would also be interested to see if adding a snorkel in combo with a CAI has any benefits. My mate's is the show-pony streeter and mine the mud pig so it would be interesting to compare standard vs snorkel .

As most of us would use the CAI as a tuning start point, the next logical step is the exhaust - 2.5" for NA and 3" seems to be recommended for S/C but I'm concerned that may be too big - not providing enough back pressure?
We've found this with some of our rally cars over the years - gone a little bigger and lost power/torque.
The last thing you want is to lose power down low just for a little high end gain - it's not as if they're spending hours at 5 grand around a race track....

Cheers,

S
Good drivers have dead bugs on the side windows..........
Sideways

Next

Return to Engines