Replacing timing gear case assembly on toyota 1kd-ftv

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Replacing timing gear case assembly on toyota 1kd-ftv

Postby vornez on Fri, 12 Sep 2014 5:20 +0000

Advice on replacing timing gear case assembly on toyota 1kd-ftv

print screen windows
image hoster
picture hosting

Remove old gasket sealant material from timing gear case and engine surfaces, clean
the surfaces before applying a fresh layer of gasket sealant. A build up of old sealant
causes an excess gap between the cover plate and engine which causes the crankshaft and
camshaft sensors to become mislaligned with their respective crank angle sensor plate.

Cleaning the surfaces and applying a fresh layer of gasket sealant creates a proper seal
between the two surfaces. Remove all traces of oil as this will prevent the sealant from
drying and sealing. Let the sealant dry slightly before tighening the bolts to their
torque specification.

A correctly sealed chamber inside the cover prevents oil leaks. It may also be likely that
creating air tight chambers withing compartments like the gear ass, water pump and oil
sump ensure propper operation of their respective oil & water pump. Most liquid pumps
are effective at pumping liquid, when there is an air leak, they are really bad at removing
an air gap to suck through the liquid they require.

Use quality sealant and create good seals on clean, dry brushed surfaces free from oil dirt and
dust. Sometimes it is appropriate to apply non hardening sealant on the threads of the bolts
before they are inserted, leaks can occur through the bolt holes of many cover plates. Most
cover plates are fragile aluminium, don't overtighten bolts or create uneven surfaces. Some
parts of the engines oil circulation are highly pressurised, a toyota gasket kit must be used
instead.

When reinserting the crankshaft and camshaft sensors, ensure they are cleaned and free from
metal particles they attract, ensure they press properly against the timing gear ass cover
surface they connect to. Use cable ties to reconnect their signal wires, don't overtighten
them so the two wires are squeezed against each other.

In Australia the 1kd-ftv crank angle sensor plate for the crankshaft angle sensor is
about 10 degrees away from its keyway marker. The technical diagrams and sensor plates
on most internet sites seem to be selling sensor plates that are 120 degrees away
from their keyway marker. I don't know why, let me know. Ensure you use the correct crankshaft
plate.

Always use a key on the keyways for the crankshaft balancer and camshaft sprocket pulley.
The 1kd-ftv is an interference engine, so the pistons can collide with the valves when
the timing belt is removed.

Don't leave stray keys inside the gear ass, they are small and fall out easily and will get
caught between two sprockets or will interfere with the operation of the sensor plates.

Always tighten the crankshaft pulley really tight, quite often the keyway section is fractured
on the crankshaft and the pulley cracks.

If you have good attention to detail, sometimes it is better to do the job yourself, when you
take the car in to a mechanic, sometimes the job gets passed on to an apprentice and they
rush through it. Taking the gear cover apart requires delicate care and precision.
vornez

Re: Replacing timing gear case assembly on toyota 1kd-ftv

Postby andy666 on Sat, 13 Sep 2014 4:46 +0000

What exactly is your point?
666 High Idle Kits to suit 05+ hilux Available Here
My Build Thread.
andy666

Postby fourby4diesel on Sat, 13 Sep 2014 5:55 +0000

Thankx on going to effort to show some pics & advise which may help someone.
New DENSO Injectors are the go! New genuine parts.
Cheers, Anth - Technician - 1KD-FTV

Check your injectors about every 10,000k.
WARNING check oil pickup screen is clear
no chips no tune ups - why increase risk of piston cracking?
fourby4diesel

Postby Hellbound on Sat, 13 Sep 2014 8:36 +0000

Cant imagine this would need replacing very often?
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Postby Andy101 on Fri, 25 Aug 2017 5:22 +0000

Hi all new to the forum just like to know if anyone knows of any oil pump issues with the 1KD FTV engine I have a 2007 hilux. On Monday the oil pressure light come on and ther is a buzzing noise from the front of the motor I am suspecting from the oil pump. The oil light has now gone off i have not driven the car since. I will be putting an oil pressure gauge on it tomorrow to inspect what pressure it is running at as the noise is still apparent with the accessories belt removed any help would be appreciated thanks
Andy101

Postby TOYZX on Fri, 25 Aug 2017 1:22 +0000

Hey you checked the oil pick up screen?? Had your injector seats replaced?? Growing issue!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby Gipsy on Fri, 25 Aug 2017 1:59 +0000

Andy don't drive it until you know what it is..... Very expensive if the oil pickup screen is clogged!
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Andy101 on Sun, 27 Aug 2017 3:26 +0000

Thanks for the reply guys. with the oil presure gauge on the car it was only produceing 45psi oil pressure a bit more digging and i found that the oil was like water (only change it about 1oookm ago) and yes the pickup screen was starting to block up. So it looks like i have a leaking injector and blowby.
Cheers Andy
Andy101

Postby TOYZX on Sun, 27 Aug 2017 9:07 +0000

Hopefully you've caught it b4 any damage has been done!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby Andy101 on Wed, 06 Sep 2017 2:54 +0000

Hi again guys had injectors replaced due to oil dillution. Oil light is back on looks like the pump has failed does any one know if the pump can be removed with the engine in the car thanks again Andrew
Andy101

Postby Landmann on Tue, 07 Jul 2020 6:53 +0000

Can some one tell me if i’m doing i right...
About to replace this cover because I destroyed the threads on the timing chain pulley bolt.
The Numbers on the sprockets are not aligned now, should i put them in this position when reassemblin? Or number to number.

And what torque on theese bolt?

Any help is very much apprieciated
Landmann

Return to Engines