throttle not working sometimes .Need advice Please.?

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

throttle not working sometimes .Need advice Please.?

Postby pops56 on Mon, 09 Dec 2013 7:15 +0000

Our Hilux 2013 auto td with 1200 km on it has a problem that toyota say is not there :x .
I can understand where they are coming from as it has not done it to them on the day they had the car where they drove it around town for 10km .
They say there is no fualt codes .
BUT The throttle still does not work sometimes.
It Mostly happens when half way around a corner , It has done it when going left or right turns ,slow,fast,cold or hot the throttle is just not there at all for a few seconds maybe up to around 3 to 4 seconds and then it comes back on and starts working again.
No lights come on motor does not stall ,there is just no response to the throtle at all .It has done it around 9 times so far in the few weeks we have owned it .
Makes for a very unsafe car to drive as you never know when it is going to happen.

Has anyone else had the same problem ?
I realy need this fixed asap.
Sorry if this has been asked before but i have tried to search here and on the web and have not found anything that is close to what is going on with our car.
Thanking you Ian
pops56

Re: throttle not working sometimes .Need advice Please.?

Postby mitch_893 on Mon, 09 Dec 2013 8:46 +0000

Well beside the possibility of being an actual issue with the pedal assembly or wiring/ecu, it could be the stability control causing you grief. Saying that it happens when going around corners, if a wheel slips slightly, it usually cuts all power for a short time. But in most cars with vsc, the yellow lights will flash when vsc is assisting. But I've never driven a hilux with vsc so can't confirm.
06' D4D dual cab SR
Build thread

Cheers!
mitch_893

Postby pops56 on Mon, 09 Dec 2013 10:26 +0000

Thank you for your reply.
I am in the same boat:)
I too have never driven a hilux with vsc before this one .I have seen the yellow light flash when I drove on a dirt road last week.The light doesn't come on when the throttle does not respond.but that does make sense to me.I will ask the toyota dealer for his response
thank you
edit Sorry
I just realized I have posted my question in the wrong section. Now I have to work out How I delete this post
Grand kids are right . silly old fart :)
pops56

Postby Rocket55 on Mon, 09 Dec 2013 3:40 +0000

Check the electrical plug on the base of the accelerator pedal. Give it a wiggle (technical term) and make sure it is securely plugged in. Mine did it once, found the plug was not 100% in (I must have knocked it kicking my thongs off, or sliding the mat around or something) anyway checked the plug and never had an issue again.
Cheers Rod
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Bitumen ...... another waste of public funds
Rocket55

Postby boxhead55 on Mon, 09 Dec 2013 4:40 +0000

Been issues with the rail pressure Relieafe valve. This will cause your issue but normally throws a large fuel leak code.
boxhead55

Postby dicko1982 on Mon, 09 Dec 2013 8:05 +0000

Hi,
I have the same ongoing problem with my 2012 SR5 has been happening since it bought it new and now with 20,000kms on it i am still having the issue, but everytime i take it back to the dealer they tell me there is nothing wrong with it as it doesnt happen when they drive it around the block, nearly caused me to have an accident earlier this week as i was making a turn with oncoming traffic approaching and the car just went dead for about 2-3 seconds.

Please let me know if you have any luck with finding a solution to this problem. I have never seen any lights flash up on the dash while this happens so have no idea what the problem is.

Thanks.
dicko1982

Postby boxhead55 on Mon, 09 Dec 2013 8:38 +0000

The other thing it could be is shit covering the fuel pick up in the fuel cell unit in the fuel tank. Causing a momentary loss of fuel.
boxhead55

Postby pops56 on Mon, 09 Dec 2013 9:15 +0000

Rocket55 wrote:Check the electrical plug on the base of the accelerator pedal.

Thank you.
I checked the plug it looked to be ok.I did give it a wiggle:).
My concern is how tight the wires were going to the plug from the side of the car body.It took some time to free some of the sideways tension the wires had on the plug.The new mats were fitted last week it will be great if that is all it was.
Hi Dicko 1982 .That is also my top concern with this problem.As the wife was saying that every drive she does now she has it in her mind whether it will catch her out when going across the traffic. Something you do near every drive .
I will drive her to work and spend some time driving the car tomorrow.
Thank you all for your advice.
pops56

Postby pops56 on Tue, 10 Dec 2013 4:56 +0000

Mmm in a 30km drive around town today it did it 5 times.
It is going back to the dealer tomorrow.
I told dealer today we refuse to drive it any more until it is fixed.
pops56

Postby mattwhite on Tue, 10 Dec 2013 6:47 +0000

boxhead55 wrote:The other thing it could be is shit covering the fuel pick up in the fuel cell unit in the fuel tank. Causing a momentary loss of fuel.

I've never seen it but is there no code for low fuel pressure?
mattwhite

Postby boxhead55 on Tue, 10 Dec 2013 7:01 +0000

No not the fuel pressure supply to the suction control valve there is no code

but there is for others and engine light will come on

low fuel rail pressure

P0087
Fuel Rail / System Pressure - Too Low

- Open or short in fuel pressure sensor circuit
- Fuel pressure sensor
- ECM

or

P0093

Fuel System Leak Detected - Large Leak

- Fuel line between supply pump and common rail
- Fuel line between common rail and injector
- Supply pump
- Common rail
- Injector (P1238 is set simultaneously)
- Pressure discharge valve
- Open or short in EDU circuit (P0200 is set simultaneously)
- Open or short in injector circuit (P0200 and P1238 are set simultaneously)
- EDU (P0200 is set simultaneously)
- ECM

some problem symptoms for you

posable cause of Engine stalls soon after starting

Engine difficult to start or stalling

Fuel filter

Injector

ECM power source circuit

ECM

Supply pump

Fuel pressure sensor

Diesel throttle body

Air mixed into fuel pipe

Immobiliser system activated
boxhead55

Postby pops56 on Fri, 13 Dec 2013 10:30 +0000

Quick update .Dealer had the car for two days ,could not fault it .
Today i drove him around in the car and it still did not do it .
I got home and when i was leaving to go back into town it did it twice in 200 mts. :?
I give up .
All we can do now is hope whatever is going on will either clear up or the car will stop altogether .
Toyota dealer has been great .
Cheers Ian
pops56

Postby dicko1982 on Wed, 18 Jun 2014 11:21 +0000

Mine is going back into the dealer tomorrow again as i almost had another accident on the weekend pulling out into an intersection towing my caravan, as i tried to accelerate across the intersection i lost all power for about 2 seconds which caused all sorts of issues. i'm at a loss in finding out what is wrong with it been back to the dealers 3 times now plus all services they have been over it, it has never flashed up any error codes or the traction light come on during the times of lost power. The only common thing with all the power losses is that it only happens when accelerating from standing still, within 20-50m the loss happens.. pumping the accelerator or trying to push the pedal through the firewall to avoid oncoming traffic doesn't work either! I will update my post after yet another toyota dealer looks at it tomorrow. cheers for the input on this issue guys much appreciated.
dicko1982

Postby Cavlux on Thu, 19 Jun 2014 10:44 +0000

Mine does this too. Not all the time and only when going around corners from a standing start. At first I thought I was imagining it. Then I thought perhaps it was just my foot pressure coming off a little - I have a sprint booster so am conscious of not giving it heaps around corners. Then I thought it may be the throttle hitting the top of the deep rubber mat stopping it going forward. I find when I feel this occurring now I end up giving it some more power than it would really like to. It kicks back into power then I have to back off quickly which is all potentially unsafe. No error codes etc so I will be following this thread with interest to see if there is anything that can be done. I will bring it up next time I take it in for a service. Cheers for the thread. Shane
Cavlux

Postby Deelux on Wed, 10 Feb 2016 12:21 +0000

Has anyone got the answer for this?
I have a early 2006 model and it does it everytime I take off from a complete stop.
Deelux

Postby fracturedranga on Wed, 10 Feb 2016 6:10 +0000

Maybe buy a bluetooth ob2 adapter and download the torque app, you can then log throttle position and rail pressure and such and will have something to show the service guys?
fracturedranga

Postby martynvella on Wed, 10 Feb 2016 10:15 +0000

Hey ranga, does the torque app show fault codes and description and let you turn off the check engine light yet? I got an early version and it doesn't, but was playing with a mates fusion app with the same dongle and it does.
martynvella

Postby fracturedranga on Wed, 10 Feb 2016 10:19 +0000

Yep, reads and resets codes, the descriptions are general ob2 ones though and not Toyota specific so some are a bit off. I just google the code number. I've paid for the full version years ago I'm not sure if the free version is the same
fracturedranga

Postby petti1788 on Mon, 14 Sep 2020 5:24 +0000

Did we ever find the cause of this problem?
petti1788

Postby Chil on Wed, 16 Sep 2020 4:58 +0000

I have a similar problem but on a 2019 model Petrol. It’s like a loss in power or miss fire when you first put on the gas. Toyota had it 3 times trying to fix the issue. 2 months in total in the shop. They gave it back to me saying they fixed it and was working well for about 5 days then it’s ugly head came back. It’s really annoying as it makes me not want to drive this car. Toyota are now saying it’s could be the way the car is but not taking that as an answer. I have not had a good run with Toyota which is really disappointing. Looks like it’s back to Mitsubishi Lol
Chil

Next

Return to Engines