Injection Feedback Values

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Re: Injection Feedback Values

Postby Talktheroo on Mon, 04 Nov 2013 7:30 +0000

What were they thinking when they designed the 1VD-FTV, that's my comment, BH.
So yes, I have had the horror of working on that particle engineering mess.
Hmmm, same seats or sheets, same problems with blow by.
The best seats or sheets out there, are the ones that Bailey's supplies with their injectors.
My price always goes up when a customer brings me one of these diesel V8s, to work on. And I know that is the case, with at least, some of the local Toyota Service Centres up here in Brisbane.
1VD, someone is taking the piss out on us, I reckon, BH. LOL, ha, ha.
The 1KD-FTVs are a much more pleasant affair, BH.
As you know, the best configuration for the 1KD-FTV, is found in the 150 Prados. Mainly because of the front mounted intercooler. That's how they all should be, if you know what I mean. Simple.
The Roo.
Passing through country and seeing country are two different things.
Talktheroo

Postby Moiv on Thu, 07 Nov 2013 4:21 +0000

Talktheroo wrote:
mitch_893 wrote:Boxhead, just had mine tested

Injector Cold Hot
1 -2.5 -2.5
2 1.4 1.4
3 0.4 -0.2
4 0.4 0.9

They told me 1 is the worst, but isn't technically out of spec and cylinder 2 is just compensating cylinder 1.
It's a January 06 model. Pretty sure 3 and 4 have already been replaced. Would those above readings affect power and economy? They couldn't really give me a straight answer.
I also read on here that being a pre dlc type, I can't enter the compensation codes into the ecu, but toyota was telling me they can? Because I'm thinking of pulling all injectors out, replacing the washers, cleaning the intake manifold and maybe replacing number 1, possibly 2 aswell.

Oh and I havnt checked my oil pickup yet, but they reckon its a motor out job to remove the sump! Surely you could just drop the diff down?

Mitch, you will probably have those old copper seats or sheets in your vehicle, as well.
It pays to get these out, and put in 4 new coated seats or sheets.
Three rebuilds that I have done, were caused by these old copper seats. They failed, which lead to the blow by problem.
The sump screen became blocked, then starving the engine of lubrication.
It's a very bad situation, seeing the parts that causes this, are only about $14.00.
The best advise I can give you here, is to avoid this situation by installing new injector seats or sheets.
Catch you later, John.

When did they go away from the old style copper seats?
Would my Jan 09 D4D have them?
Moiv

Postby boxhead55 on Thu, 07 Nov 2013 4:37 +0000

No I think not was around 08th 2008. Will find out
boxhead55

Postby junga23 on Sat, 09 Nov 2013 6:06 +0000

Hey roo any chance of an ebay link to software program your talking about. Mose well spend the money on the ebay program rather then give it to toyota. I'm obviously gunna need a special cord too?
Cheers Brendan
junga23

Postby StevenS on Sat, 09 Nov 2013 7:20 +0000

boxhead55 wrote:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2012-MINI-VCI-FOR-TOYOTA-Software-TIS-Techstream-Interface-Cable-OBD2-OBDII-/330727156412?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d00dfeabc

Just a quick query (already ordered it, so I hope it's not the case) but mine is a late 05 model and thus not OBD2. Will this kit still work?
StevenS

Postby boxhead55 on Sun, 10 Nov 2013 4:01 +0000

Yep
boxhead55

Postby mitch_893 on Sun, 10 Nov 2013 6:05 +0000

Anyone know how to make techstream work on windows 7 64bit. Still waiting for it to arrive so havnt tried it yet.
06' D4D dual cab SR
Build thread

Cheers!
mitch_893

Postby boxhead55 on Sun, 10 Nov 2013 6:11 +0000

Should be ok just load it up.
boxhead55

Postby boxhead55 on Sun, 10 Nov 2013 6:11 +0000

I have it on windows 8
boxhead55

Postby Talktheroo on Sun, 10 Nov 2013 6:22 +0000

junga23 wrote:Hey roo any chance of an ebay link to software program your talking about. Mose well spend the money on the ebay program rather then give it to toyota. I'm obviously gunna need a special cord too?
Cheers Brendan

Hey members.
I am saying to you these two links because a number of people I know have used this company in China. They can still be a pain in the A.
Link : http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Newest-V8- ... 1057238158
Link : http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-MINI-VCI-T ... 232cb4b28d
Note, the instructions for XP 32bit operating system on their Ebay site.
For the sheets or seats. If you have a Hilux from 2005 to 2008, you will probably have those copper buggers in your engine. Even if it's found that you don't, it's always good to install a new set of sheets or seats in those injector ports.
Baileys Group supplies the best seats. They come out of Germany, to Bailey's specifications.
Get onto Matt, and see what he has to say about supplying you, a set of seats.
Baileys, also does pipes, and of cause, injectors.
The Roo.
Talktheroo

Postby UnaTerra on Sun, 01 Dec 2013 9:24 +0000

What's the cost of a set of Bailey's injectors?
UnaTerra

Postby Talktheroo on Mon, 02 Dec 2013 7:43 +0000

UnaTerra wrote:What's the cost of a set of Bailey's injectors?

$1,100.00 when you get your deposit back. It's an exchange service.
The Roo.
Talktheroo

Postby swhilux on Tue, 07 Jan 2014 8:28 +0000

Talktheroo, Hi mate, I'm really interested in your knowledge of these engines. I have a 2010 Auto d4d Hiluxs 4x4 with 85 000ks which you would have read about in the other thread.
It is still under warranty only just. I am paranoid as shit about something going wrong with this engine. Is does have a bit of high pitch rattle that I can hear when I'm driving it around and also at idle. I put a stethescope on the injector lines and the injector closest to the firewall (no 4?) clacks really loudly. Also whith the oil cap removed it does seem to have a bit of blow by.
Can you give me your opinion and a list of things for me to check and/or look out for between now and when it runs out af warranty please? I have it going to toyota for a injector compensation check and pilot learn on fri which was spoken about by yourself and Boxhead. I'm very mechanically minded and work in the trade so I'd love to have a full undersatnding on this engine to hopefull save myself money.
swhilux

Postby Talktheroo on Wed, 08 Jan 2014 9:11 +0000

Two problems with this generation of engines. D4Ds. So yours is the 1KD-FTV in this series.
Blow By and injector malfunction. Sometimes the two are linked as blow by can cause an injector malfunction. No engine oil cooling the bottom half of the injectors in the cylinder port.
Blow By : Blow by is caused by the injector seats failing. This causes the exhaust gases to leak past where the injector nozzle goes through on the cylinder head into the cylinder. In turn a chemical reaction occurs sending the engine oil hard (carbonisation) and then the pieces block the sump screen starving the engine of lubrication.
The fix and maintenance : It's easy. When you drop your engine oil at no more than 7,500km (I recommend 5,000km intervals, not 10,000kms), check your sump screen to make sure that it's clear from carbon.
Also, if you don't think that the injector seats have been changed out at the valve clearance checks, under warranty, change them out to a fresh set.
The Bailey's Group seats are the best, in my opinion. They stick like pooh to a fly's back, mate, to those injector nozzles, and that's what you want.
You replace the seals as part of the service, and actually check your valve clearances with a feeler gauge, not with your ear, the audible check thing that most Toyota Service Centres were doing.
Injector malfunction : Carbon and deposits are the biggest problem here. The best way to avoid problems in this area, is to keep an eye out on those feedback values and the injector volume.
You will need a diagnostic tool for this, or the Techstream software that will run on a 32bit notebook. That's a 32bit operating system. From China, this software and cable is about $35.00 landed.
You do have to be careful who you deal with in China, as some people are having trouble with bad copies and the like.
I just want to say here, that like all injectors, these injectors will wear out. Once it is found that either the injector volume or/and the feedback values are out of range, you should change out your old injectors to a new set of four. I recommend the use of the Baileys' Group for this. It's an exchange service.
Also, try to use diesel fuel that has a cetane value higher than 48. Shell and BP, basically.
The other area of concern, that is also an easy fix, is the EGR system, or more to the point, the oil residue that passes with the gas as it passes through all the EGR components.
The best way to fix this situation, is with a catch can. I do like the Mann Hummel Provent 200, as it's a 100% clean up of the oil residue. It has a filter.
If you need any more information, mate, just PM me, and I will send you my phone number.
The Roo.
Talktheroo

Postby Talktheroo on Wed, 08 Jan 2014 9:11 +0000

Double post. Haven't done that for a while.
The Roo.
Talktheroo

Postby swhilux on Mon, 24 Feb 2014 10:04 +0000

Talktheroo wrote:Two problems with this generation of engines. D4Ds. So yours is the 1KD-FTV in this series.
Blow By and injector malfunction. Sometimes the two are linked as blow by can cause an injector malfunction. No engine oil cooling the bottom half of the injectors in the cylinder port.
Blow By : Blow by is caused by the injector seats failing. This causes the exhaust gases to leak past where the injector nozzle goes through on the cylinder head into the cylinder. In turn a chemical reaction occurs sending the engine oil hard (carbonisation) and then the pieces block the sump screen starving the engine of lubrication.
The fix and maintenance : It's easy. When you drop your engine oil at no more than 7,500km (I recommend 5,000km intervals, not 10,000kms), check your sump screen to make sure that it's clear from carbon.
Also, if you don't think that the injector seats have been changed out at the valve clearance checks, under warranty, change them out to a fresh set.
The Bailey's Group seats are the best, in my opinion. They stick like pooh to a fly's back, mate, to those injector nozzles, and that's what you want.
You replace the seals as part of the service, and actually check your valve clearances with a feeler gauge, not with your ear, the audible check thing that most Toyota Service Centres were doing.
Injector malfunction : Carbon and deposits are the biggest problem here. The best way to avoid problems in this area, is to keep an eye out on those feedback values and the injector volume.
You will need a diagnostic tool for this, or the Techstream software that will run on a 32bit notebook. That's a 32bit operating system. From China, this software and cable is about $35.00 landed.
You do have to be careful who you deal with in China, as some people are having trouble with bad copies and the like.
I just want to say here, that like all injectors, these injectors will wear out. Once it is found that either the injector volume or/and the feedback values are out of range, you should change out your old injectors to a new set of four. I recommend the use of the Baileys' Group for this. It's an exchange service.
Also, try to use diesel fuel that has a cetane value higher than 48. Shell and BP, basically.
The other area of concern, that is also an easy fix, is the EGR system, or more to the point, the oil residue that passes with the gas as it passes through all the EGR components.
The best way to fix this situation, is with a catch can. I do like the Mann Hummel Provent 200, as it's a 100% clean up of the oil residue. It has a filter.
If you need any more information, mate, just PM me, and I will send you my phone number.
The Roo.

Hi Roo
I had the injector feedback values tested and they were in spec. I didn't need the pilot learn as apparently mine does it it's self. Not sure if that's correct but it's a 2010. It still has an easily heard high pitch rattle that can be heard at idle(hot or cold) and through the rev range but most noticible from about 1700 to 2200 rpm. It is defiantly resonating from the injectors/injector lines. Holding a metal object on No.4 amplifies it with out needing a stethoscope to hear it. It is annoying as it can be heard above the stereo when towing under load. Toyota didn't seem to think there was a problem but I imagine the probably had an apprentice service it last as it was not done properly. Any ideas mate?
swhilux

Postby boxhead55 on Tue, 25 Feb 2014 3:07 +0000

FYI it won't do the pilot learn by itself. Well it will if your drive a certain way for a
Curtain time to certain revs.
And NO ONE WILL EVER DO THAT.

So March back down there and get it done.
boxhead55

Postby boxhead55 on Tue, 25 Feb 2014 3:10 +0000

Make sure the dealer master tech works on the car and then ask for pre figures.
For
Injector feed back values
Injection feedback for idle figures
And injection timing

And then the post figures

For the same.
boxhead55

Postby boxhead55 on Tue, 25 Feb 2014 3:13 +0000

But in saying that the dsl knock is at its worst at those reves. But should be quieter at idle.
Did you get the screen shot of your check?

I supply one pre and post.

I feel that if the customers specifically asked for the learn to the done it is the least I can do and they have a hard copy of what happened.
boxhead55

PreviousNext

Return to Engines