Toyota Techstream + mini-VCI kit: Intro & HOW-TO

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Re: Toyota Techstream + mini-VCI kit: Intro & HOW-TO

Postby tonymtber on Fri, 23 May 2014 1:34 +0000

Thanks Rory...I was hoping you wouldnt say that.

I use the laptop for work so it will be a pain changing the OS back to 32bit.
Might see if I can find a solution or look for a cheap 32bit laptop.
tonymtber

Postby rory18 on Fri, 23 May 2014 2:28 +0000

I have couple spare dells if you're in Perth.

But I have seen on another forum people claiming to make it work on 64, but for the life of me I couldn't work it out.
rory18
Platinum Subscriber

Postby boxhead55 on Fri, 23 May 2014 2:53 +0000

The current version works in a 64 bit system.
The issue is all the china disks are old versions and are not compatible.
boxhead55

Postby tonymtber on Fri, 23 May 2014 6:20 +0000

I have version 8.30.023 & still no go after a lot of stuffing around. Not worth the effort on a work laptop when for $50 I can get a good used on as a dedicated diagnostics tool.
tonymtber

Postby andy666 on Fri, 23 May 2014 7:41 +0000

I also tried all the tricks people suggested on other forums about editing registry files, etc, to get it to work on windows 8. None of it worked.
The problem is that techstream will run on 64bit windows, but the drivers for the cable will only run on 32bit.

The easiest thing is to just run a virtual machine (like VirtualBox ) and install windows XP on that. It sounds difficult, but its actually really easy to setup and use. If you are confident enough to format a computer, then you will have no trouble installing a virtual machine. The virtual machine just runs as a window on the desktop, not like running dual operating systems.
You don't even need a copy of windows XP, as you can download a virtual drive with it installed direct from Microsoft. You just need to be running a legit copy of windows 8 as it does an authentication check before letting you download.

Here is a link that outlines everything. This is what I have been doing and techstream runs great through the virtual machine.

Note: If you are running the virtual machine on a laptop you will need a USB mouse, as the virtual windows XP doesn't like the touchpad
666 High Idle Kits to suit 05+ hilux Available Here
My Build Thread.
andy666

Postby boxhead55 on Fri, 23 May 2014 8:54 +0000

That's is where I guess the mongoose vim is good as it will run in either 32 or 64 bit.
I am running it no drama on a touch screen with windows 8.1

The drivers for the OTC vim which is the Toyota recommended vim works in either 32 or 64 bit systems as well.

I agree with the vm tho. Have to use this so I can us all my old programs and gadgets I have like oscilloscopes and bora scopes works a treat.
boxhead55

Postby tonymtber on Fri, 06 Jun 2014 10:06 +0000

OK, with a cheap $50 mini laptop I've finally got this working ....I think.

My vehicle is a 2008 Diesel Manual.

When connecting Techstream, I dont get an option for 2008 vehicles...just all years before & after.
So I selected a 2009 year & proceeded to select the engine type but only 1 option comes up...2TR-FE engine.

Still managed to get the VIN updated etc & that all works fine.

Did a road test mainly to see what the fuel system is doing as mine now has 141000 on the clock.

At idle

Inj 1 -0.4
Inj 2 -0.7
Inj 3 -0.4
Inj 4 +0.9

Fuel Pressure 32120

Looking at the figures during the road test, I gather that its normal for the fuel pressure to increase with the load? (mine shows a max figure of 115430)
tonymtber

Postby rory18 on Fri, 06 Jun 2014 11:12 +0000

try and change your region to Europe should hopefully give you the 1kd option
rory18
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tonymtber on Fri, 06 Jun 2014 12:28 +0000

rory18 wrote:try and change your region to Europe should hopefully give you the 1kd option

Thanks Rory, thats got it sorted.
tonymtber

Postby tonymtber on Fri, 06 Jun 2014 12:32 +0000

tonymtber wrote:At idle

Inj 1 -0.4
Inj 2 -0.7
Inj 3 -0.4
Inj 4 +0.9

Fuel Pressure 32120

Now that I've got the correct engine selected the figures have changed as follows:

1. -0.2
2. -0.7
3. +0.6
4. 0

Fuel Pressure 33640.

I did notice when I started recording the data that the injector values changed slightly....is that normal?
tonymtber

Postby Luxi46 on Fri, 06 Jun 2014 10:12 +0000

Hey Tony, your feedback values are within spec. They are never static, but the chinese cables are slower in refreshing the data though, so it might be that. No relation between the change and you hitting the record button if that's what you're wondering ;). The fuel pressure appears within spec, but what you're interested in is the amount of fluctuations in either direction. Too high a fluctuation could indicate suction control valve problems.

Glad you got it working otherwise. I've been following the feedback regarding 64-bit installation of the drivers for the cable lately, and there was a promising solution a few posts back, but it looks like it isn't working for everyone. As such, I won't update the walk-through with these instructions until I've found a working solution.
Cheers,
Marvin
Luxi46
Platinum Subscriber

Postby andy666 on Sat, 07 Jun 2014 7:01 +0000

Run a virtual machine on a 64bit system. Don't be scared, it's very easy to setup and use.
Here is a link that outlines everything.
666 High Idle Kits to suit 05+ hilux Available Here
My Build Thread.
andy666

Postby tonymtber on Sat, 07 Jun 2014 7:40 +0000

Thanks Luxi.

Yeah I did notice that the screen was only updating every few seconds. Wasn't sure if it was just the way techstream works but it sounds like its the cable.

Now that i've got the right engine selected i'll take it for a road test today and record the fuel rail pressures under load.
tonymtber

Postby Luxi46 on Sat, 07 Jun 2014 9:55 +0000

andy666 wrote:Run a virtual machine on a 64bit system. Don't be scared, it's very easy to setup and use.
Here is a link that outlines everything.

Cheers for the tip mate, but I had Techstream purring on a VM from the beginning since I'm on a Mac. Had to, in order to write this How-to :lol:
I was merely pointing out my hesitation to update it with the before mentioned 64-bit install option ;)
Cheers,
Marvin
Luxi46
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tonymtber on Sat, 07 Jun 2014 6:52 +0000

OK did another on road test today at highway speeds & with a bit of load. Starting to get the feel for Techstream now....just need to work out what all the figures mean.

Interestingly the injector readings have changed slightly on this test.

Here's some screen shots of the data. If someone with some more expertise than me can give me some pointers it would be greatly appreciated.....Im interested to know if the fuel pressures are normal or to high.

tonymtber

Postby Luxi46 on Sat, 07 Jun 2014 8:54 +0000

tonymtber wrote:OK did another on road test today at highway speeds & with a bit of load. Starting to get the feel for Techstream now....just need to work out what all the figures mean.

Diagnosis AND taking screenshots while doing 103? :o :o . Don't tell me you were the one behind the wheel, cuz otherwise you win GOLD for multitasking. No award for bad driving safety though :lol:
Now, on to your readings. Injection feedback values are best measured starting from cold right up to operating temp. This way you can see how it progresses. It should also be done while idling and with no load (aircon off, foot off throttle).
For an explanation of what some of the data means, you can either scroll back to page 2 of this thread where I've explained it, or look up the live data analysis thread. In that thread I went into deeper detail what to look for if some values are out of range. You can also post a text printout of your data there (instead of taking screenshots at 103 ;) ). Might I suggest another test run, but with the engine idling for no more then 10 minutes ? Less is better. This is to diagnose the state of your intake.
Cheers,
Marvin
Luxi46
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tonymtber on Sun, 08 Jun 2014 6:56 +0000

Luxi46 wrote:
tonymtber wrote:OK did another on road test today at highway speeds & with a bit of load. Starting to get the feel for Techstream now....just need to work out what all the figures mean.

Diagnosis AND taking screenshots while doing 103? :o :o . Don't tell me you were the one behind the wheel, cuz otherwise you win GOLD for multitasking. No award for bad driving safety though :lol:
Now, on to your readings. Injection feedback values are best measured starting from cold right up to operating temp. This way you can see how it progresses. It should also be done while idling and with no load (aircon off, foot off throttle).
For an explanation of what some of the data means, you can either scroll back to page 2 of this thread where I've explained it, or look up the live data analysis thread. In that thread I went into deeper detail what to look for if some values are out of range. You can also post a text printout of your data there (instead of taking screenshots at 103 ;) ). Might I suggest another test run, but with the engine idling for no more then 10 minutes ? Less is better. This is to diagnose the state of your intake.

Haha...yeah & I was on the phone and drinking a coffee ;)

Na, seriously I just recorded the data on the road test & did a play back/graph last night on the laptop while watching TV...still multitasking though!

Yeah I've printed off your explanation list which is great. Is it possible to keep it as a sticky or document for easy reference on the forum? As the knowledge builds I image that there will be lots more added to it which would make it a great reference doc for everyone.

One question on the fuel rail pressure.....pressure at idle is pretty self explanatory. Is there any max limit on fuel pressure under load?

I just found it interesting looking at the various figures as the revs/load increases.
Certainly lots to learn with this, but its a great tool for under $40.
tonymtber

Postby rory18 on Sun, 08 Jun 2014 8:04 +0000

There should be a active test to check the fuel pressure release valve is working
rory18
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tonymtber on Sun, 08 Jun 2014 9:19 +0000

rory18 wrote:There should be a active test to check the fuel pressure release valve is working

I'll have a look....still finding my way around this.
tonymtber

Postby sammysau on Thu, 19 Jun 2014 5:14 +0000

My 2006 Hilux I believe is the 'early' model, not the 'later' model and I haven't had any success with OBD2. (I can short pins 4 and 13 and check engine light will blink a code if there is one... but no OBD).

After a bit of reading, I think it uses mOBD http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/elec16.pdf

I did find some kits that said they would read it, but around $200... so I might give it a miss rather than take another chance: http://dtdauto.com/Product/Product_diag ... Scan_E.htm

My miniVCI and TIS did 'connect', but it couldn't get any information.

I believe that to be correct, but I could be wrong... would like to be wrong as TIS would be useful for me!
sammysau

PreviousNext

Return to Engines