Toyota Techstream + mini-VCI kit: Intro & HOW-TO

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Re: Toyota Techstream + mini-VCI kit: Intro & HOW-TO

Postby StevenS on Fri, 22 Nov 2013 4:12 +0000

Got this in the mail yesterday and working.

For the injector feedback values, are the constantly changing values given in the engine data list the ones you're after?
Mine move only by a few tenths every refresh, and 3 of the 4 injectors are well within spec (+/- 3) but one is right on the +3 mark and sometimes ventures slightly higher. I'm assuming this means that injector is on it's last legs? Car has done 190k so the injectors were to be replaced in a few weeks anyway but it's good to know it was justified.
StevenS

Postby Luxi46 on Sat, 23 Nov 2013 3:45 +0000

Yeah, the changing values are the ones to look at, means the ecu is doing it's thing.
+3 means the ecu is increasing fuel to that injector. It's usually a sign the injector is on it's way out, but is this at cold idle or with a warm engine? Boxhead mentioned somewhere that it is usually the injector in cylinder 3 that goes first for some reason. I was wondering if this is also the case with yours.
Cheers,
Marvin
Luxi46
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Talktheroo on Sat, 23 Nov 2013 2:02 +0000

StevenS wrote:Got this in the mail yesterday and working.

For the injector feedback values, are the constantly changing values given in the engine data list the ones you're after?
Mine move only by a few tenths every refresh, and 3 of the 4 injectors are well within spec (+/- 3) but one is right on the +3 mark and sometimes ventures slightly higher. I'm assuming this means that injector is on it's last legs? Car has done 190k so the injectors were to be replaced in a few weeks anyway but it's good to know it was justified.

It's justified, Steven.
At those kms, that's about the same economics as a 1HD-T series for injectors.
That's pretty good really.
Just go with the Bailey's injectors, mate. Good quality exchange injectors.
The Roo.
Passing through country and seeing country are two different things.
Talktheroo

Postby troppy on Mon, 25 Nov 2013 7:01 +0000

Hi All,
I just got the software and cable today, cleared an EGR error which has been coming up of late( I cleaned out the elbow of the EGR the other day and got a cup of thick black gunk from it. I didn't do the intake manifold yet(still working up the courage). The light still came on afterwards, but at least I can clear it now.

While having a look at the program, I saved the data to a pdf file. The injector values at idle showed up as below; are these in the correct range or other? Am I reading this correctly?
Injection Feedback Value #1 0.3 mm3/st
Injection Feedback Value #2 0.0 mm3/st
Injection Feedback Value #3 2.1 mm3/st
Injection Feedback Value #4 1.4 mm3/st

Thanks
Troppy
troppy

Postby troppy on Mon, 25 Nov 2013 7:05 +0000

Sorry, forgot to add that the error was:
P0400 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Malfunction
troppy

Postby Luxi46 on Mon, 25 Nov 2013 11:26 +0000

Troppy, what year/km's Lux is this? If you have the EGR cooler, I'd suggest giving that a flush with engine degreaser a few times too. It's a shiny stainless steel box with two coolant hoses attached to it. Because the gasses pass through a mesh like a radiator, it catches a lot of the soot and if blocked, it will also throw a P0400 code. With the engine running, have a look at the MAF output. If it's close to 15 gr/sec, even after cleaning the EGR, it could mean that the cooler is blocked.

Regarding the injector values, they appear within spec. Just keep an eye on cylinder 3.
Cheers,
Marvin
Luxi46
Platinum Subscriber

Postby hilder91 on Wed, 27 Nov 2013 1:43 +0000

hey does this work on a windows 8 program
hilder91

Postby troppy on Wed, 27 Nov 2013 3:20 +0000

Thanks Marvin,
Mine is a 2007 with about 139 000 km on the clock. It is an ex mines ute, and I love it except for the amount of oil it uses.
troppy

Postby Luxi46 on Wed, 27 Nov 2013 10:13 +0000

hilder91 wrote:hey does this work on a windows 8 program

The latest Techstream (version 8) installs fine on windows 8, 32-bit and 64-bit. It's the drivers for the cable that won't load on 64-bit systems. A guest installation of 32-bit XP on a virtual machine like the free VirtualBox on windows 8 is a possible way to go. It's a lot more work though, with most of the work being getting your hands on an installation of XP and then installing it. If you manage to get your hands on one and need any pointers getting this properly set-up, PM me.
Cheers,
Marvin
Luxi46
Platinum Subscriber

Postby troppy on Thu, 28 Nov 2013 8:05 +0000

Hi Marvin,
I checked the readout from the other night, at idle the MAF was 18.26 gm/sec; and the MAP was 89kpa.
below is the diag report in whole if folks are interested.

Vehicle Diagnostic Report
1KDFTV
Printed By: Default User(1)
25/11/2013 8:20:57 PM
Data List
Engine
Time/Frame : 56:18:339/1
Parameter Value Unit
Vehicle Speed 0 km/h
Engine Speed 791 rpm
Calculate Load 15.2 %
MAF 18.26 gm/sec
Atmosphere Pressure 100 kPa(abs)
MAP 89 kPa
Coolant Temp 51 C
Intake Air 26 C
Intake Air Temp (Turbo) 28 C
Engine Run Time 297 s
Initial Engine Coolant Temp 29.3 C
Initial Intake Air Temp 35.0 C
Battery Voltage 13.4 V
Alternate Duty Ratio 60 %
Accel Position 0.00 %
Accel Sens. No.1 Volt % 15.6 %
Accel Sens. No.2 Volt % 32.1 %
Actual Throttle Position 82 %
Throttle Close Learning Val. 17.5 deg
Diesel Throttle Learn Status OK
Injection Volume 7.61 mm3/st
Inj. FB Vol. for Idle - 0.73 mm3/st
Inj Vol Feedback Learning 0.9 mm3/st
Injection Feedback Val #1 0.3 mm3/st
Injection Feedback Val #2 0.0 mm3/st
Injection Feedback Val #3 - 2.1 mm3/st
Injection Feedback Val #4 1.4 mm3/st
Pilot 1 Injection Period 435 us
Pilot 2 Injection Period 463 us
Main Injection Period 613 us
After Injection Period 0 us
Pilot 1 Injection Timing - 13.1 deg(CA)
Pilot 2 Injection Timing - 6.1 deg(CA)
Main Injection Timing 3.0 deg(CA)
After Injection Timing 0.0 deg(CA)
Target Common Rail Pressure 34530 kPa(abs)
Fuel Press 32420 kPag
Fuel Temperature 31 C
Target Pump SCV Current 1177.1 mA
Target EGR Position 0.0 %
EGR Lift Sensor Volt % 15.2 %
EGR Close Learn Val. 0.77 V
EGR Close Lrn. Val. 0.77 V
EGR Close Lrn. Status OK
EGR VSV OFF
VN Turbo Command 71 %
Starter Signal OFF
Stop Light Switch OFF
A/C Signal OFF
# Codes(Include History) 0
MIL ON Run Distance 0 km
Running Time from MIL ON 0 min
Time after DTC Cleared 14 min
Distance from DTC Cleared 0 km
Warmup Cycle Cleared DTC 0
TC and TE1 OFF
Swirl Control Valve VSV ON
ACT VSV OFF
troppy

Postby Luxi46 on Thu, 28 Nov 2013 10:59 +0000

Looking at your readings, it's like dejavu for me all over again, more specifically the MAF and MAP readings. Now pay attention to the "Target EGR position" and "EGR lift sensor volt %". The "Target EGR position" is the position the ECU wants the EGR to be in, 0% for fully closed, and about 95% for fully open. "EGR lift sensor volt %" is the actual position of the EGR valve. About 15% is fully closed and 80-86% is fully open. Normally, the target position and EGR lift sensor readings follow each other closely. And the ECU monitors these two readings in conjunction with the MAP and MAF readings. A problem with any of these will throw a code. Under normal conditions, the readings should be:

- EGR lift sensor should be around 60-70% at idle.
- MAF: 5-12 gm/sec
- MAP: 95-105 kPa

If the ECU detects no EGR flow for some time even with an open valve, it will throw a P0400 code and close the EGR valve (Target EGR of 0%). This is consistent with your readings, which leads me to believe that the EGR cooler is blocked, since you've already cleaned the EGR & elbow. One last test you can do to confirm or exclude this is to manually open and close the EGR valve using the Active Test procedure. The active test you want is the "Control the EGR System" test. When toggling this setting on and off at idle, keep an eye on the MAP and MAF readings. If it doesn't change, then you've confirmed that the EGR cooler is blocked, and you can start rolling up those sleeves again.
Last edited by Luxi46 on Thu, 28 Nov 2013 9:35 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Marvin
Luxi46
Platinum Subscriber

Postby troppy on Thu, 28 Nov 2013 1:40 +0000

Thanks for that, I'll have a look tonight. Did you have much of a problem with oil use? I seem to go through at least 600ml per tank of diesel!
troppy

Postby hilder91 on Thu, 28 Nov 2013 2:34 +0000

also ur number 3 injector seems to be on its way out even thou -+3.0mm3 is out of spec
hilder91

Postby troppy on Thu, 28 Nov 2013 3:38 +0000

Thanks,
I'll be keeping an eye on it now I can get the readings whenever I need to.
troppy

Postby troppy on Sat, 07 Dec 2013 8:04 +0000

Hi All,
Well last weekend, I but the bullet and pulled of the Heat Exchanger and Intake Manifold to clean them after doing the EGR the week before. After giving it all a good clean and re-assembled(no bolts left over ) she started first key turn. Hooking up to the software again to clear the old error, not a whimper since :D I'll put up the test results first after the clean so you can compare with the pre-clean.

What I noticed while it was all apart was how dirty and built up inside the head it was. Has anyone had any experience with removing the head to give it a good clean, and replace the valve stem oil seals at the same time. Hopefully, this should stop the excessive oil usage which has contributed to the buildup.

I'll post some photo's once I can figure out how to do it.

Cheers

Vehicle Diagnostic Report
1KDFTV
MR0FZ22G901153378
Printed By: Default User(1)
1/12/2013 3:01:08 PM
Data List
Engine(1 of 2)
Time/Frame : 57:17:672/2
Parameter Value Unit
Vehicle Speed 0 km/h
Engine Speed 752 rpm
Calculate Load 16.4 %
MAF 7.93 gm/sec
Atmosphere Pressure 100 kPa(abs)
MAP 95 kPa
Coolant Temp 67 C
Intake Air 34 C
Intake Air Temp (Turbo) 36 C
Engine Run Time 254 s
Initial Engine Coolant Temp 55.6 C
Initial Intake Air Temp 36.8 C
Battery Voltage 13.5 V
Alternate Duty Ratio 49 %
Accel Position 0.00 %
Accel Sens. No.1 Volt % 15.6 %
Accel Sens. No.2 Volt % 32.1 %
Actual Throttle Position 85 %
Throttle Close Learning Val. 17.4 deg
Diesel Throttle Learn Status OK
Injection Volume 8.43 mm3/st
Inj. FB Vol. for Idle 1.88 mm3/st
Inj Vol Feedback Learning 0.0 mm3/st
Injection Feedback Val #1 0.6 mm3/st
Injection Feedback Val #2 0.0 mm3/st
Injection Feedback Val #3 -1.5 mm3/st
Injection Feedback Val #4 0.4 mm3/st
Pilot 1 Injection Period 428 us
Pilot 2 Injection Period 429 us
Main Injection Period 670 us
After Injection Period 0 us
Pilot 1 Injection Timing -19.6 deg
(CA)
Pilot 2 Injection Timing -12.9 deg
(CA)
Main Injection Timing 3.0 deg
(CA)
After Injection Timing 0.0 deg
(CA)
Target Common Rail Pressure 35270 kPa(abs)
Fuel Press 31510 kPag
Fuel Temperature 40 C
Target Pump SCV Current 1199.2 mA
Target EGR Position 40.3 %
EGR Lift Sensor Volt % 49.2 %
EGR Close Learn Val. 0.79 V
EGR Close Lrn. Val. 0.79 V
EGR Close Lrn. Status OK
EGR VSV OFF
VN Turbo Command 90 %
Starter Signal OFF
Stop Light Switch OFF
A/C Signal OFF
# Codes(Include History) 0
MIL ON Run Distance 0 km
Running Time from MIL ON 0 min
Time after DTC Cleared 11 min
Distance from DTC Cleared 0 km
Warmup Cycle Cleared DTC 0
TC and TE1 OFF
Swirl Control Valve VSV ON
ACT VSV OFF
troppy

Postby Luxi46 on Sun, 08 Dec 2013 2:19 +0000

Hey troppy, good to hear you got it sorted out. Your output is looking great.
Another member on here started a thread for analysis of Techstream readings, so it'd be a good idea to post your before and after output there too. Also, there is a dedicated thread for cleaning the EGR system with lots of pics, so be sure to post your own experiences there too. That way, we can reserve this thread for help with Techstream setup and basic use ;)

Links:
How to clean the D4D intake & EGR system
Techstream live data analysis
Cheers,
Marvin
Luxi46
Platinum Subscriber

Reference Values?

Postby DeadlyBeast on Sun, 08 Dec 2013 2:36 +0000

Only used and eBay copy of TechStream a couple times - now when I try to enter password and hit the 'Evaluate' button it is greyed out preventing the program to open....I may have to reinstall.
Anyway - with more people using T.S there is bound to be a few users with little or no mechanical background making the data look somewhat meaningless.
Can anyone provide some reference values with an explanation (where applicable) what to expect when the reference values are are exceeded or not met.

Reading other posts from those in the know all I could find is the below references:
Thanks to BH, Luxi and the Roo for all information shared so far!

Injection Feedback +/- 3
EGR lift sensor should be around 60-70% at idle.
MAF: 5-12 gm/sec
MAP: 95-105 kPa

Only another 50 odd values to decipher ;)
If these values are already in TechStream in some area please tell me where! :lol:
DeadlyBeast

Re: Reference Values?

Postby Luxi46 on Tue, 10 Dec 2013 10:13 +0000

DeadlyBeast wrote:Only used and eBay copy of TechStream a couple times - now when I try to enter password and hit the 'Evaluate' button it is greyed out preventing the program to open....I may have to reinstall.

What version of Techstream are you using? Reinstalling might not help, as the evaluation timer is locked to your clock, but give it a go anyway. The version I use doesn't need a password everytime, the driver that came with the cable already unlocked/activated it. PM me if you're still having issues, as I can't post links to software here. Silly house rules :D ...

DeadlyBeast wrote:Can anyone provide some reference values with an explanation (where applicable) what to expect when the reference values are are exceeded or not met. If these values are already in TechStream in some area please tell me where!

The reference values or explanations for all the readings are not included, 'cause, after all, Techstream wasn't intended for us DIY-folk, but for technicians in the know. I'll be digging through this site and my notes, to see what I can come up with for ya! ;) . Keep an eye on the live data analysis thread, I'll post them there.
Cheers,
Marvin
Luxi46
Platinum Subscriber

Techstream live data explained

Postby Luxi46 on Thu, 12 Dec 2013 5:49 +0000

I've already posted this in the live data analysis thread, but because it's also relevant to this thread, I thought I'd post it here too, but without the out of range troubleshooting part. I hope it's ok with the mods.

Cheers,
Marvin

EXPLANATIONS & REFERENCE VALUES

Engine speed
Engine revolutions. Same as the instrument rev counter, only this reading is digital.

Reference: Idle - around 750 RPM, WOT - 4600 RPM

Calculate load
Indication of the amount of load in terms of airflow generated by the engine (not torque or horsepower) during idle, when towing, travelling uphill, accelleration etc. It is not measured by a dedicated sensor, but rather calculated using various parameters. The output is in percentage from the peak airflow. How it is calculated exactly is different for each manufacturer but it might include readings from the MAF, MAP, engine speed, throttle position or intake air temp and pressure sensors.

Reference: Idle - around 16%, WOT - 95% and above (peak airflow)

MAF
MAF or mass airflow is the amount of air being sucked (technical term, honest :P ) into engine measured just after the airfilter. The output is in grams per second.

Reference: 5-12 gm/sec (Idle)

Atmosphere pressure (abs)
As the term implies, it is the absolute atmospheric pressure in kiloPascals, measured at ground level. Changes with outside temperature and altitude. Pressure drops by 1 kPa for every 100m rise in altitude. The opposite for drop in altitude.

MAP
Manifold absolute pressure is the pressure measured inside the manifold just before the EGR where the feed for the sensor is located. The ECU uses these readings to determine EGR flow among others. The output is in kiloPascals.

Reference: 95-105 kPa (Idle)

Initial intake air temp
Snapshot of the intake air temperature at the exact moment of engine start. Measured by the sensor incorporated in the MAF meter.

Reference: whatever the temp is at engine start.

Intake air
Temperature of the air past the air filter, measured by sensor inside the MAF meter. Output in degrees Celsius

Intake air temp (turbo)
Temperature of the air entering the intake manifold (also intercooler air temp), as measured by the sensor at the intercooler outlet. Not to be confused with the intake air temp sensor housed inside the MAF, which is used for different purposes.

Initial engine coolant temp
Snapshot of the coolant temperature measured at engine start. The sensor is located just above the waterpump. Output is in degrees Celsius.

Reference: whatever the coolant temp is at engine start

Coolant temp
Actual coolant temperature with the engine running. Sensor is located just above waterpump. Engine is considered warm when coolant temp is upwards of 86 deg C.

Battery voltage
Voltage of either the battery or the charging system (alternator), depending on wether the engine is running or not. Output in Volts.

Reference: Engine off - around 12 Volts (battery), Engine on - around 13.5 Volts (charging)

Accelerator position
Position of the accelator pedal, calculated in percentages.

Reference: Idle - 0%, WOT - just under 100%

Actual throttle position
Position of the throttle valve (butterfly) in the intake manifold. Aids in smooth engine shut-off and rate of EGR. Output in %

Reference: Engine off - 0%, Idle - around 80% (open)

Throttle close learning val.
The position in which the throttle valve is considered closed by the ECU. Output in degrees (I guess, from the vertical axis of the sensor)

Reference: 17.2 - 17.5 degrees

Injection volume
The total amount of fuel being injected into the cylinders. Output is in cubic millimeters per stroke.

Reference: 5-12 mm3/st (Idle)

Injection Feedback value
The amount of compensation or correction of fuel being injected into cylinders 1 to 4. A positive value indicates fuel is being added, and a negative value means fuel is being reduced. Output is in cubic millimeters per stroke.

Reference: +/- 3 mm3/st (Idle)

Pilot 1 & 2 injection period
Duration of the pilot injection. The 1KD-FTV engine features a pilot injection sequence which is smaller in volume and shorter than the main injection. It's purpose is to reduce engine noise or knock. Apparently, there are 2 pilot injections. Output in microseconds

Target common rail pressure
Fuel pressure in the common rail that the ECU is aiming for. Output in kiloPascal (absolute).

Fuel press
Actual common rail fuel pressure. Output in kiloPascal (gauge).

Reference: 30.000-40.000 kPag

Fuel temperature
Temperature of the fuel entering the fuel pump. Output in degrees Celsius.

Target pump SCV current
Target electrical current in the suction control valve. The suction control valve is part of the fuel pump. It regulates the amount of fuel being fed to the plungers in the fuel pump. Output in milliamps.

Target EGR position
Position of the EGR valve as demanded by the ECU. Output in percentage.

Reference: 0-95%

EGR lift sensor volt %
Actual position of the EGR valve, as measured by the sensor on top of the valve. Fully closed at full acceleration, fully open at throttle lift-off. Anything in between during cruising speeds and idle. Having only worked on my own car so far, I assumed that this reading was fixed at around 60-70% at idle, but now that I've seen readings from other members I know otherwise.

Reference: Fully closed - Around 15%, fully open - 80-86%

EGR VSV
State of the EGR vacuum switching valve, which is used to open and close the EGR valve. Located on the side of the EGR (brown if I'm not mistaken).

VN Turbo command
Opening of the turbo variable vanes. At low rpm the vanes are partially closed for better boost at lower RPM's and they open up as the engine speed climbs. Closing vanes are indicated by an increasing percentage, and the percentage decreases with the vanes opening up.

# codes (include history)
The number of diagnostic trouble codes that are currently present

MIL ON run distance
Distance travelled since the check engine light first came on.

Running time from MIL ON
Time elapsed since the check engine light first came on

Time after DTC cleared
Time elapsed after clearing all trouble codes.

Distance from DTC cleared
Distance travelled since clearing all trouble codes

Swirl control valve VSV
State of the vacuum switching valve that opens and closes the swirl control valve, used to improve air/fuel mixing.
ON= closed swirl control valve
OFF= open siwrl control valve

A/T Oil Temp from ECT
Automatic transmission oil temperature. Output in degrees Celsius

SPD (NO)
Transmission input shaft speed. Output in rpm's

ECT Lock-up
State of the torque converter lock-up mechanism. Lock-up improves fuel economy at highway speeds.

Reference: OFF - below 80 km/h, ON - 80 km/h and above

Last edited by Luxi46 on Fri, 13 Dec 2013 2:45 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Luxi46
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DeadlyBeast on Thu, 12 Dec 2013 2:07 +0000

Great work Marvin

The version Techstream I have is 8.20.019. Will have a crack at reinstalling
DeadlyBeast

PreviousNext

Return to Engines