Toyota Techstream + mini-VCI kit: Intro & HOW-TO

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Postby Luxi46 on Fri, 21 Dec 2012 4:02 +0000

Allright guys,
As I’ve been having problems with the EGR on my 2007 D4D Lux recently, and I refused to bring it to the dealer..cough ..stealer..cough, I looked for ways to repair or at least diagnose it myself. In my search, I came across this diagnostics kit that I would like to share with everyone. I already mentioned this in a thread here, but I thought a dedicated thread would be more appropriate. I’d like to apologize to those members on here whom I’ve kept waiting for this, life tends to get in the way of things :oops: . I have some spare time now, so here goes..

What is it and what can I do with it?

Techstream software is used by dealers all over for diagnostics and reprogramming of Toyota, Lexus and Scion cars from 1996 - onwards.

Official sales flyer:
https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfoPor ... rtinfo.pdf

Techstream demo (skip the hardware part):
https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfoPor ... erDemo.htm

The kit I’m talking about will cost only a fraction of the dealer setup at $35-$50. For that price, you get a Chinese copy of the more expensive Mongoose cable seen in the flyer above, and an unlocked copy of Techstream software. The cable has a chipset in the OBD plug, that allows the software to communicate with the ECU and plugs in to the DLC3 socket under the steering wheel. To my knowledge, you have the same capabilities as Techstream Lite. Some of the capabilities of this kit:

Diagnostics
- Health check (overall status of the car)
- Live data and also graphing or trending of that output (output from all the sensors on the car including injector flow, temps, mass airflow rate, fuel pressure etc.)
- Trouble codes (reading and clearing of check engine lights)
- Freeze frame data (allowing you to view all paramaters at the time the trouble code is generated)
- ABS & Immobilizer diagnostics
- Resetting or initializing the ECU (pulling the battery cable for an hour and pumping the brake does the same, but doing it with Techstream doesn’t reset the clock or radio memory)
- Active tests (manually activating relays, vacuum valves, swirl valves, turbo stepper motors etc.)

Programming
- Injector compensation code read & input
- Programming keys ***
- ECU reflash ***

***: There is a catch with these, more info in the How-to section

Customize
- Disabling seatbelt beepers (driver & passenger)
- Auto-doorlock interval
- Aircon control

Update 6/11/2013: The "Customize" section does not apply to the Hilux. The Hilux is missing pin #6 & #14 (CAN-bus) on the DLC plug, that is required for customization. At the time I wrote this How-to, I was also testing this cable on a RAV4 where I was able to customize the above settings for seatbelt alarm, door lock etc. I somehow got it mixed up between the two. My apologies for the confusion. I will leave this section up, for reference purposes.

What else do I need to get me started?

- A laptop running either a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows

Update 19/01/2015: It is confirmed that newer versions of this kit (Techstream, cable and drivers) are at long last compatible with 64-bit versions of Windows. Examples of these can be found on page 7 of this thread. So those fossils of 32-bit only laptops can finally be retired now ;) . Thanks to those who have got this working and provided feedback.

Allright, you’ve caught my attention. Now where do I get me one of these kits?

I got mine from UOBD2:
http://uobd2.com/wholesale/mini-vci-for ... -2442.html
There are other options (cheaper and more colorful), but for the sake of uniformity in the event someone needs help with it, it would be handy if we all had the same kit. Not that I can guarantee uniformity though.. I am not in any way affiliated with these guys, just trying to help out, so if you decide to shop elsewhere, no biggie.

HOW-TO

Disclaimer
Be aware that you will be communicating with the ECU from here on out, and that brings with it certain risks. READ: You might stuff your ECU, especially when programming.
I am not responsible for any damage resulting from customizing or programming the ECU and any modifications will be at your own risk.

Right, now that we’ve got that out of the way, let’s get to it.

Modification
There is this locktab on the OBD plug that prevents the cable from being pulled off accidentily once plugged in. Here's what I'm talking about:

Normally the cable should come off with a firm pull, but I think the tab is either too stiff, or it has some manufacturing imperfections. This causes the plug to get stuck and refuses to come off. To solve this, do one of either two things:

- remove the tab completely
- remove some material from the inside of the tab with a utility knife to make it more flexible

Even with the tab removed (as I have done), it is still firmly enough in place that there is no concern of it coming off on its own.

Installation
The small disc supplied with the cable contained all the necessary to get started. If not, it can be downloaded from UOBD2, on the technical service tab from the sales link.
It is worth mentioning though that the suppliers of this cable used a “kill one bird with 10 stones” approach. Not everything supplied on the disc is necessary, but it’s there in case of installation problems. Contained:

- Drivers for the cable
- Techstream installer
- Crack for Techstream (named either “TISKEY.exe” or “Getpeculiarid.dll”)
- Installation steps.

I won’t discuss every scenario here, because you know how it goes. Procedures with unlocked software change all the time, making installation steps discussed here obsolete pretty fast.

These were the steps I took:
1. Disabled all anti-virus software
2. Installation of latest Java Runtime
3. Installation of Techstream (v7.10.030)
4. Installation of the drivers in the folder named Mini VCI driver.
5. Connected the cable to the USB port
6. That’s all. If all goes well, you should have a new USB device named: “USB Serial Converter”. The driver already seemed to unlock Techstream. No replacing of dll’s, running of cracks or serial numbers.

Cable Connection
Connect the cable to the DLC3 socket under the steering wheel. Just remember to turn the ignition to “ON” (but don’t start the engine**) AFTER connecting the cable. Then startup Techstream with the shortcut on your desktop. The startup screen should look something like this:

**There are certain procedures done within Techstream which require the engine to be started, but this will be clearly stated as seen later on.

Configuration
Before continuing with any diagnostics, first configure Techstream for your region and metric system.

- Region: SETUP\TECHSTREAM CONFIGURATION
- Metric system: USER\USER PREFERENCES\UNIT SELECTION

1. You can skip North America, as the *KD-FTV engine isn’t marketed there. My Lux was imported from the UK, so for this example I'll select Europe.
2. Click next.
3. If everything is filled in(name, repairer type etc.) leave it at that. If not, fill in anything you want, and click OK.

Connect to vehicle
1. On your left hand you’ll see “Connect to vehicle”. Go ahead and click it.
2. After a few seconds you’ll be presented with this screen:

3. From the drop-down menu’s, select the relevant info. In selecting the model year, the first two digits represent the build year, and the last two the month.
4. Choosing between w/VSC and w/o VSC is trickier. Here is what I have been able to discover:
a. Build year 2006-2009: Skid control only (w/o VSC)
b. Build year 2009-onwards: Vehicle stability control (w/ VSC) This is seen through the addition of a Yaw rate sensor.
(Source: Toyodiy.com)

5. If connection is succesful, you’ll be presented with the following screen:

6. All that is left to do, is a safe, low-level test that your cable is read/write capable, and to start familiarizing yourself with Techstream.

a. Read test: On the SYSTEM SELECT tab, go to HEALTH CHECK. This test will probe all the ECU’s for their status and if troublecodes exist. The results will be displayed on the STORED DATA tab.

b. Write test: In the system selection window with a summary of all the ECU’s , double-click on “Engine”. Then on your left hand side, click on “Utility”. You’ll be presented with the following screen:

c. Now we’ll write your 17 character VIN number into the ECU, or edit it if it was already written from factory. Go ahead and double-click on “VIN”. You’ll be presented with the following screen:

d. Just walk through the whole process, and confirm that you have written your VIN number, by exiting and restarting Techstream and looking at this section:

7. That’s it! If all went well, you now have a working diagnostics and programming setup! Now go ahead and pat yourself on the back.

EXAMPLES
Based on requests from fellow members, I’ll list some specific procedures for diagnosing and programming with Techstream. Everything else will work about the same, so procedures listed here will apply to other sections of Techstream as well.

Basic tips before going into full-blown geek mode:
1. As is mandatory with all programming hardware, never disconnect the cable while programming.
2. Disable any screensavers, standby and hibernation modes, and make sure your laptop has enough charge.
3. Before programming and customizing any settings, make notes or take screenshots of your defaults so you know what to revert back to.
4. Start your engine every now and then or you’ll end up with a dead battery. Experience is a b*tch..

Programming

Injector compensation code read and input
1. In the system selection menu with a summary of all the ECU’s, double-click on “Engine”
2. On your left hand side, click on “Utility”
3. Double-click on “Injector Compensation”
4. You’ll be presented with the following screens to either set or read the compensation codes:

5. Read the codes before servicing injectors, and set the codes for new injectors for each cylinder.
6. What follows after setting the codes, I can’t say, as I don’t have to replace my injectors. Maybe someone who has done this can share their experience.

Key transponder programming
As stated earlier in the intro, there is a catch when programming keys. Currently, Techstream Lite, that this kit is similar to, can only add new keys to an existing group of keys (1 minimal, 4 maximum). It cannot generate and assign new immobiliser codes. This is a security measure obviously. So you must have at least one master key available for Techstream to read the immobiliser code from. Generating new codes is possible with Techstream, but it requires a registration with the US NASTF Vehicle Security Professional Registry and a Seurity Professional subscription.
(Source: https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfoPor ... _nfpb=true)

For this HOW-TO we will only be adding a key, so here goes:
1. In the system selection menu, double-click on “Immobiliser”.
2. On your left hand side, go to “Utility”
3. Double-click on “Transponder Code Registration”
4. You’ll be presented with the following screen:

5. Go through the whole process of inserting the master key, inserting the new key, and programming the transponder.
6. Done. If not succesful, there is a post on here with possible explanations as to why:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10562&hilit=key+programming&start=20#p193690

ECU reflash
In the event an ECU reflash is necessary (calibration), this can also be done with Techstream. However, this procedure too has a few catches. Calibration can take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes to complete, depending on build year and gear installed. Also, although very rare, I have experienced dropped connections with Techstream when invoking “DATA LIST” (live data) on first attempt. The cause is either this version of Techstream (v7.10.030) being unstable when bombarded with the info from all the sensors, or my cable is faulty. I can’t compare cables so I can’t narrow the cause down to one or the other.
Nonetheless, this possible instability combined with the time it takes for a reflash, increases the chances of the procedure “hanging”, leaving you with a stuffed ECU. As this would be a very costly repair (I got quoted $2800 plus labour for a new ECU), I would advise against doing a reflash with Techstream until this gets resolved.

For the curious, an ECU reflash is normally done like this:
1. In the system selection menu, on your left hand side click on “ECU Reprogramming”
2. In the Cal Update tab, select which ECU you would like to reflash. Before clicking on the green arrow in the bottom right corner, make sure you have an active internet connection.
3. After connecting with Toyota servers, any updates found will be listed in the same window.
4. In my case, no updates were found for my Lux. So I couldn’t test it any further.

Diagnostics

Live data & graphing (trending)
1. In the system selection menu, double-click on “Engine”.
2. On your left hand side, click on “Data List”.
3. The presented screen will look like this**:

**If at this point you experience a dropped connection like I did, just click on “Data List” again to reconnect. This happened to me only once in an entire diagnostics session.

4. To graph the output of the sensors, just click on the button on the bottom (say that 3 times in a row) with the red-blue graphs.
5. In this example, I graphed the output of the accelerator sensor:

Active test of EGR vacuum regulating valve (valve beside/beneath the EGR)
1. In the system selection menu, double-click on “Engine”.
2. On your left hand side, click on “Active Test”.
3. In the window that appears, double-click on “Control the EGR System”

4. In the small window that pops up, you can toggle the VSV On or Off. With the engine off, and a relatively quiet environment you should be able to hear the clicking sound the valve makes when toggled.

Well guys, that's about it for now. I hope I've at least covered the essentials of working with Techstream, the rest is up to you to share your experiences and get a discussion going!

As for me, I'm off to grab a cold one..or a few :D ;)
Last edited by Luxi46 on Mon, 19 Jan 2015 12:45 +0000, edited 6 times in total.
Cheers,
Marvin
Luxi46
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Toyota Techstream + mini-VCI kit: Intro

Postby ozmoose3195 on Fri, 21 Dec 2012 5:37 +0000

Great job. I will follow this one closely.
ozmoose3195

Re: Toyota Techstream + mini-VCI kit: Intro & HOW-TO

Postby Luxi46 on Sat, 22 Dec 2012 7:47 +0000

HOW-TO is up!
Cheers,
Marvin
Luxi46
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Curty on Sun, 10 Feb 2013 4:35 +0000

i wonder if the reflash for the supercharged tacomas is on there that would mak eit heaps easyer for the guys wanting to put the trd superchargers on there cars
Curty

Postby Luxi46 on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 7:27 +0000

In theory that should be possible. You used to be able to just order the calibration files on a cd, not so anymore. Nowadays it's done over the net. If you know someone with a TRD supercharged taco and they have done the reflash themselves through Techstream, you could grab the calibration files off them. They are stored in a special folder. I think you would just have to copy them over to the same folder on your laptop and run through the reflash procedure. I say have a go at it and report back ;)
Cheers,
Marvin
Luxi46
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Curty on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 1:22 +0000

cool does that system have access to the T.I.S ?
Curty

Postby Luxi46 on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 2:15 +0000

Access to TIS directly (US website) is on a subscription basis I'm afraid. But I was able to connect to Toyota Europe within the software to look for an Ecu update for my lux though. Dunno how the US region will fare as far as calibrations are concerned. Couldn't test it as the 1KD Hilux isn't marketed in the states, so it wasn't on the list to select from when trying to connect to the car.
Cheers,
Marvin
Luxi46
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Paul123 on Sun, 01 Sep 2013 7:24 +0000

I recently receive the cable from OBD2, but can't get to work.
I've tried connecting to the Toyota Europe setting, Japan setting ( which only has Hilux Surf ) .
It seems to respond ok but can't retrieve any info from the vehicle.
I'm no expert when it comes to computers but I thought from the detailed instruction above even I could work it out.
Has anyone successfully run this with their Hilux in Australia.
Any help would be appreciated.
Paul
Paul123

Postby Far North Boar on Tue, 03 Sep 2013 6:11 +0000

Paul123

Did you try 'other' ??

Tim
Far North Boar

Postby ScotsMan on Tue, 03 Sep 2013 6:40 +0000

Damn don't suppose there is a tablet version I ditched my laptop a few months ago ?
ScotsMan
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Paul123 on Tue, 03 Sep 2013 9:02 +0000

If ever I needed proof that I'm an idiot.
System does work,
I was paranoid about upsetting anything in the ECU, I had the key turn to acc, once I but the ignition on without starting the engine the system worked well. Now I just need to learn how to use it.

I don't know how many others are using tech stream but it would be great to compiled a list of menus / procedures to be able to use it to its full potential.

Sorry for the false alarm, refer to first sentence.

Paul
Paul123

Postby Swinny on Tue, 03 Sep 2013 11:20 +0000

Bump....
Swinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Gulfstream8 on Tue, 03 Sep 2013 4:55 +0000

Curty wrote:i wonder if the reflash for the supercharged tacomas is on there that would mak eit heaps easyer for the guys wanting to put the trd superchargers on there cars

It only works on a USA ECU as Techstream will not recognise the Australian ECU code to upload the TRD software.

Phil a member on here from way back has already tried this - in the end he imported a Tacoma ECU and re-flashed it with Tacoma TRD software.

An interesting note on the Tacoma TRD software:

Jap who is a member here and owns a pretty smick TRD Hilux reckons his ran very rich but I have seen Phil's Dyno results with the Tacoma TRD software and its almost perfect results.

Maybe a different tune and Toyota Australia made the TRD Hilux tune a little too safe!
Gulfstream8

Postby Jengel on Thu, 07 Nov 2013 1:06 +0000

I have the mini-VCI and tried everything to get it working but no joy. Gave it to a mate who also tried and no joy. Techstream see the VCI and report it's good. Once I connect it to the 'Lux and go through the initializing phase it report VIM fault and cannot get it going. I don't know if my VCI unit is faulty as we tried it on different PC's and different cars :cry:
My shed: http://www.newhilux.net/myshed.php?view=1&id=3832
VK4JHE
You can follow . . . but it might hurt!
Jengel

Postby ng_newbie on Thu, 07 Nov 2013 1:34 +0000

Hey Jengel

You have probably run into the updated version :(

Notice in the original post

Luxi46 wrote:Crack for Techstream (named either “TISKEY.exe” or “Getpeculiarid.dll”)

So if this is not obvious as it was supplied by a China hacker & it is cracked software.

The software developer may have updated the software so this crack no longer works !!!

NG
In the market for

- Lokkas & someone to help me install it :)
- 24v Rattle gun - https://dewalt.com.au/products/dcf899hn ... -bare-unit
- 24v Freezer
- 24v Air Conditioner
- 24v Battery Pack - ozBATs.com
ng_newbie

Postby Talktheroo on Thu, 07 Nov 2013 2:35 +0000

Good thread. Unfortunately, I didn't know about this one. It's hard to follow everything on a forum.
Forums tend to roll over on threads, all the time.
It's good to see a informative thread come back.
I think a lot more people are ready to embrace the Techstream software now, especially the ones from China because of the price.
The Roo.
Passing through country and seeing country are two different things.
Talktheroo

Postby jap on Thu, 07 Nov 2013 6:37 +0000

Gulfstream8 wrote:It only works on a USA ECU as Techstream will not recognise the Australian ECU code to upload the TRD software.

Phil a member on here from way back has already tried this - in the end he imported a Tacoma ECU and re-flashed it with Tacoma TRD software.

An interesting note on the Tacoma TRD software:

Jap who is a member here and owns a pretty smick TRD Hilux reckons his ran very rich but I have seen Phil's Dyno results with the Tacoma TRD software and its almost perfect results.

Maybe a different tune and Toyota Australia made the TRD Hilux tune a little too safe!

I'm guessing the TRD Hiluxes were tuned as such to keep combustion temps down in hot climates.
At idle/cruise/light load it was fine but when the boot was in, it was quite rich.
Now on 11psi it sits in the 12:1 zone
The Quickest TRD Hilux in Australia - 13.690 @ 100.56mph
True Bolt-On Power, Performance & Reliability

Traded for:

BT50 D/C 3.2l Auto - TJM Deluxe Bullbar - TJM Rear Step - TJM Canopy - Airtec Snorkel
jap

Postby boxhead55 on Fri, 08 Nov 2013 3:11 +0000

Trd hilux will run A little rich. That's because of the race tune they run.
But they also had an issue cracking the air fuel ratio sensor on the left back. ( first sensor in the exhaust pipe.)This told the computer it was running lean. So the computer keeps bumping up the fuel. But in reality it was running rich.

They also melted cats. This will also cause a rich sensation as the exhaust gas can not get out quick enough.
boxhead55

Postby Talktheroo on Sun, 10 Nov 2013 8:57 +0000

boxhead55 wrote:Trd hilux will run A little rich. That's because of the race tune they run.
But they also had an issue cracking the air fuel ratio sensor on the left back. ( first sensor in the exhaust pipe.)This told the computer it was running lean. So the computer keeps bumping up the fuel. But in reality it was running rich.

They also melted cats. This will also cause a rich sensation as the exhaust gas can not get out quick enough.

Awesome knowledge right there. I don't think I have ever said that to another member before either.
Mate, it's good to have you on this forum, and this is a good forum because of members like you.
Sounds like a suck, but it's just the truth.
The Roo.
Passing through country and seeing country are two different things.
Talktheroo

Postby Philby on Wed, 13 Nov 2013 1:06 +0000

boxhead55 wrote:Trd hilux will run A little rich. That's because of the race tune they run.

As I run a reflashed Tacoma ECU which is legal in 48 states and after spending the last month in California which has the toughest emission requirements, it is possible that TRD Australia have increased the fuelling as our restraints on exhaust gas emission may not be as stringent as in the states. Speaking with the local lads, to get around the emission test they register their vehicle in a county which is to far away from a emission test center or register the vehicle in Nevada. California is now getting concerned that they will not be able to meet the 2050 green gas requirements.
Philby

Next

Return to Engines