How To: Oil Catch Can

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Re: How To: Oil Catch Can

Postby SpinnerDan on Fri, 14 Apr 2017 12:44 +0000

Thanks Roo. Yes it does seem like the way to go due to its simplicity.

I guess my biggest concern (that no one has raised in the threads I've read) is that the stainless filters on the HPD are pretty small. Any blockages or fouling would pressurise the crank case and potentially blow seals. Maybe it's not an issue but I'd like to hear from anyone out there with a HPD catch can (and there are heaps of you it seems) whether you've noticed if the filter holes get gummed up with oily crud? As Roo says, pretty easy to clean but I'd still like to know if it's an issue... it might be the reason some of you don't seem to collect as much oil as others, if the filters are fouled up. It also might mean more regular servicing of the unit is required, rather than just waiting until it fills up with oil.

I'm always gettin' into trouble for overthinking things...
SpinnerDan

Postby KevR on Mon, 17 Apr 2017 8:39 +0000

The holes aren't that small so I don't think it would block up. It's just oil there isn't really any crud. I've only had mine on for 500 km but already have about 5-10 ml collected. My fitting tip is fit the hoses before you mount the unit. I took off the plastic intercooler cover and one of the brackets. If you're doing an egr clean I'd fit it then it would be much easier.
KevR

Postby Viper82 on Wed, 14 Jun 2017 8:25 +0000

I cleaned my catch can on the weekend and i found oil in the inlet pipe that goes to the turbo. So I guess they don't stop every bit of oil coming through. I have the HPD catchcan.
Viper82

Postby TOYZX on Wed, 14 Jun 2017 9:40 +0000

The jdp isn't as efficient as the provent but you probably jist have residual oil in there.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby SpinnerDan on Sat, 29 Jul 2017 10:46 +0000

Got my HPD can... Very stoked with the quality of the can and brackets. I know it's not rocket science to hook it up but since there's no instructions with it I thought I'd ask you guys who have already installed it (my Lux is 2015 3.0 D4D) to avoid any pitfalls.

First, the hose I'll install into the rocker cover plugs directly onto the rocker cover outlet? Or do you keep the existing rubber elbow and use the joiner (that came with the kit) to connect the elbow to the hose of the catch can?
I'm concerned that just plugging the new hose straight into the rocker cover outlet will mean the hose will be hard up against the intercooler pipe and kinked a bit. How have you avoided that?

Second, the return hose from the can that goes to the turbo inlet: do I plug it straight into the turbo inlet, eliminating the original rubber hose piece that connects the steel tube?

I'm just confused about why they included the hose joiner with the kit... where do you use that?

Sorry guys without HPD Cans...this will make no sense - but would appreciate help or photos from anyone who has installed the HPD.
SpinnerDan

Postby scottellis88 on Sun, 06 Aug 2017 9:16 +0000

The joiner is for the longer hose which connects down low to the turbo.
When you remove the existing hard pipe you will see both end you connect to. One on the rocker cover, the other with the joiner to an existing hose at the turbo

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
scottellis88

Postby scottellis88 on Sun, 06 Aug 2017 9:17 +0000

Im at work at the moment but if your still struggling later on i will post photos

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
scottellis88

How To: Oil Catch Can

Postby Critter350 on Sun, 06 Aug 2017 3:48 +0000

I did mine a little different to you Scottellis. 1st hose (bottom out of the can, but don't think it matters) goes to the rocker cover. Was very tight fit so I used the Mrs hair dryer. It does sit against intercooler bracket but is not kinked. Top hose, to the supplied joiner, to the rubber elbow, still connected to the solid riser pipe. I read on here somewhere to do it this way to keep the rubber away from the exhaust. I considered eliminating the elbow and joiner, but sat better like this.

Cheers
Crit
Critter350

Postby Critter350 on Sun, 06 Aug 2017 3:52 +0000

Like that.

Cheers
Crit
Critter350

Postby SpinnerDan on Sun, 06 Aug 2017 7:51 +0000

Hey thanks Scott and Crit for that good advice! My can is still in the box at the moment so your info is invaluable! I didn't even think about setting it up as you have Crit, retaining the steel tube. That seems like a good idea. Either way I go, you've both cleared up my confusion so thanks heaps!
...love the forum, and having access to all this knowledge!
SpinnerDan

Postby apSlain on Mon, 07 Aug 2017 7:10 +0000

SpinnerDan wrote:Hey thanks Scott and Crit for that good advice! My can is still in the box at the moment so your info is invaluable! I didn't even think about setting it up as you have Crit, retaining the steel tube. That seems like a good idea. Either way I go, you've both cleared up my confusion so thanks heaps!
...love the forum, and having access to all this knowledge!

Just to add - could not get any advice out of HPD but a supplier let me know that the optimal install is top outlet to turbo, bottom outlet to rocker cover.

I also retained the steel piping (think the kit comes with all the pieces for it). However, my elbow hose developed a rip through it after awhile (here and here). A bloke at Repco managed to locate a similar hose from Gates suited to a 89-'90 Commodore VN that was much sturdier than the stock hose, or Toyota's replacement is something like $15. Something to keep in mind if you suffer a similar fate.
Check out Slain's Overlander, a perpetual work-in-progress.
apSlain

Postby Ironbark on Wed, 09 Aug 2017 11:38 +0000

apSlain wrote:Just to add - could not get any advice out of HPD but a supplier let me know that the optimal install is top outlet to turbo, bottom outlet to rocker cover

Interesting. I just imported one to the UK from HPD and their picture shows the rocker cover pipe going into the top or the can, bottom to turbo. ie the other way round. There were no instructions... just the picture.

Now I know I'm upside down on the World compared to you, but I don't think that's it :lol:
Ironbark

Postby scottellis88 on Thu, 10 Aug 2017 7:22 +0000

Yeah Ironbark that's where I referenced mine to. I was a bit disappointed to the lack of instructions but once I looked at the pictures I soon worked it out.
Also I followed other guides on the internet for other catch cans that is where is got the info to remove the hard pipe from and use the connector piece to join my hose to the turbo.
scottellis88

Postby apSlain on Thu, 10 Aug 2017 7:52 +0000

Ironbark wrote:Interesting. I just imported one to the UK from HPD and their picture shows the rocker cover pipe going into the top or the can, bottom to turbo. ie the other way round. There were no instructions... just the picture.

scottellis88 wrote:Yeah Ironbark that's where I referenced mine to. I was a bit disappointed to the lack of instructions but once I looked at the pictures I soon worked it out.

Yeah, I gave HPD a call and whoever I got said the instructions are with the box...followed up and didn't get anything from them. The image for variant one (early model N70s) shows it the other way 'round. I have too much time on my hands so I scoured all the other vehicle install pictures and noticed very few had it that way around.

However, it also doesn't make much of a difference - the oil only has an extra inch to travel which would be negligible in loss/gain. If you haven't installed it yet, definitely do it the optimal way but the sub-optimal won't do any harm e.g. I installed it as per the images provided and haven't changed the routing.
Check out Slain's Overlander, a perpetual work-in-progress.
apSlain

Postby Ironbark on Thu, 10 Aug 2017 7:55 +0000

Thanks Scott, but what I don't get is that the picture supplied with the kit by HPD shows the rocker cover outlet pipe going to the catch can top inlet, and the lower outlet on the can going to the turbo.

That's how I've done it, but after reading this, it seems it should be the other way round.

That means the picture from HPD is wrong?
Ironbark

Postby Ironbark on Thu, 10 Aug 2017 8:13 +0000

apSlain wrote:The image for variant one (early model N70s) shows it the other way 'round. I have too much time on my hands so I scoured all the other vehicle install pictures and noticed very few had it that way around.

Thanks apSlain. Yes, that's what I've got and installed exactly like on their pictures for type 1. Now looking at their other vairiants and can see they are the opposite.

Will have a proper look in the morning and see if I have enough slack to connect the other way.
Ironbark

Postby Critter350 on Thu, 10 Aug 2017 12:48 +0000

I spent 10 minutes looking at the insides of the can and decided it didn't make a damn difference. I think if it did matter, they'd give more detailed instruction. The can is not exactly thrown together, I love the machine work.

Cheers
Crit
Critter350

Postby Gipsy on Fri, 11 Aug 2017 12:16 +0000

I guess the only thing to consider is if the oil level is allowed to get too high it will be blown into the lower point and into the turbo intake if you use the bottom one to connect. Logic tells me the top one is for the rocker cover vent.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby SpinnerDan on Sun, 13 Aug 2017 2:09 +0000

So I've installed the HPD Catch Can today, considering all the advice from the forum and aware of all the discussion around which hose goes where. Mine's a 2015 3.0 D4D (so a "type 3" install according to HPD). I'll be buggered if i could get the rocker cover hose to the bottom inlet of the Can without it kinking around the intercooler pipe. I rotated the Can in various positions and if I had the bottom inlet rotated to about the 10 o'clock position I could feed the pipe to the rocker cover without kinking but then the top swivel outlet on the Can covered up the dipstick.... If i rotated that to different positions then the hose was bent at funny angles and rubbing on things.

Long story... in the end I switched the hoses. Rocker cover to top of the Can; Bottom outlet to the turbo. It fit super neatly this way, no kinking or rubbing and the most direct route. There's no valves in this Can so as Crit says, it shouldn't make any difference - except if you let the Can fill up too much (but that'd cause issues regardless). I know it's not the optimal position but I'm far happier with the routing so I'll see how it goes. :|
Thanks guys for the advice... I'd still be scratching my head without it.
SpinnerDan

Postby Critter350 on Mon, 14 Aug 2017 12:27 +0000

This is from 3700 kmImage

Cheers
Crit
Critter350

PreviousNext

Return to Engines