Does your fuel filter look like this?

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Re: Does your fuel filter look like this?

Postby Putsy on Sun, 15 Jan 2012 9:37 +0000

dave06 wrote:Though He had pleasure informing me that my pre-filter voided all warranty to do with the fuel system.

This realy grindes my gears! I kow when I worked at a dealership in Brisbane for a german car maker (May start with B and end in W ;) ) and we saw pre-filter's on X5's we would even try and get new filters for them and change them as they do make a positive difference with the amount of contamints they catch compared to tthe factory ones. Also we never had any negative effects on the fuel system or any other components.
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6631&p=95887&hilit=Putsy#p95887 My Build... A little small but its not always the size that matters ;)

putsy@newhilux.net
Putsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jap on Sun, 15 Jan 2012 10:30 +0000

It's an easy 'out' for the dealerships.
If I were the dealership manager, I personally wouldn't do it....
But saying that I'm not sure how these places work, the less warranty work they do, the more $$ is actually coming in the door? or do Toyota reimburse dealerships?
The Quickest TRD Hilux in Australia - 13.690 @ 100.56mph
True Bolt-On Power, Performance & Reliability

Traded for:

BT50 D/C 3.2l Auto - TJM Deluxe Bullbar - TJM Rear Step - TJM Canopy - Airtec Snorkel
jap

Postby dave06 on Sun, 15 Jan 2012 10:59 +0000

As far as he was concerned if I was to need warranty on the fuel system he said toyota would blame my pre filter as it puts extra load on the diesel pump that it was not designed to have.
While telling me this I was there having my alternator replaced under warranty & my dual batteries were not a problem ;)
dave06

Postby Squid_87 on Sun, 15 Jan 2012 2:30 +0000

9W6VX wrote:Luke,

Fuel consumption improvement - don't think so.

Power - can't feel it.

How long has it been since you changed your fuel filter?

Brendon,

Haven't done it since I've owned my lux. And I've had her for 40,000km
Cheers,
Luke

08/05 SR single cab, heavy duty steel tray, steel canopy with vinyl sides and mozzie net, Dobinsons 2in lift, ECB big tube alloy bar, Nitestalker 100w spotlights, 55w under tray reverse spotlights, 31x10.5 Maxxis Bighorns on 15x7 Sunraysias
Squid_87

Postby huffypilot on Sun, 15 Jan 2012 4:54 +0000

I replaced mine last weekend after 150 000km of Toyota servicing and it looked like Marks pic but not damaged. There was brown sludge in the bottom of the bowl that had to be scrubbed out . Id bet it has never been replaced till now. Amazing how much power has returned when theres fuel to burn.
huffypilot

Postby bloke&tackle on Mon, 16 Jan 2012 7:21 +0000

jap wrote:It's an easy 'out' for the dealerships.
If I were the dealership manager, I personally wouldn't do it....
But saying that I'm not sure how these places work, the less warranty work they do, the more $$ is actually coming in the door? or do Toyota reimburse dealerships?

Yeah the dealers charge Toyota for warranty work they carry out, but Toyota dictate the hourly rate and it isn't anywhere near what the general public get charged.
Toyota also decide how long a job should take i.e. change out a faulty alternater = maybe 2 hrs.
If it takes the dealer 4 hrs. too bad, Toyota only pay for 2 hrs.
If dealers had to rely solely on warranty work they would go broke, so they don't really like doing it, it's a neccesary evil of being a dealer. Of course being a dealer has other benefits though, like being able to charge ludicrous money for genuine spares.
Regards Chris.

I started life with nothing, and I've still got most of it left
bloke&tackle

Previous

Return to Engines