BLUE SMOKE??

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

BLUE SMOKE??

Postby jpecs on Tue, 05 Jul 2011 8:14 +0000

good day fellow hiluxers. for yall that dont know me my name is jon paul from Trinidad and Tobago. i have the 2.5lt (:() turbo hilux and its the 2009 model. i have it for a little more than 2 years with 33490 kms on the clock now and recently (say a month) its been blue smoking quite a bit in the mornings when i start up and would run blue smoke for 5 minutes. now i did some research and found out it was burning oil and could be caused by many different things. now im writing here cuz i know there are many knowledgable people on here and i would seriously appreciate any help as to why my truck is doing this? i checked the oil level and it was over the max but not too much and i thought that was the problem. so yesterday i took my car to service and told them about the problem and they cleaned my injectors, changed my filters, did a diesel flush and clean and i thought my problems were over :roll:... find out this morning my truck is still blue smoking but not nearly as much as it was before :(
needless to say how pissed i am cuz i feel it can be pretty expensive to repair (hoping not tho). but anyways what do you guys think could be my problem? keep in my mind it only has 33000kms on the clock :/...

thanks in advanced,
jp
jpecs

Re: BLUE SMOKE??

Postby Swinny on Tue, 05 Jul 2011 9:02 +0000

hay mate could be internal,
-Worn valve guides or seals
- Wear in power assemblies ( cylinders, piston rings, ring grooves)
- Cylinder glaze
- Piston ring sticking
- Incorrect grade of oil ( oil too thin, and migrating past the rings)
- Fuel dilution in the oil (oil thinned out with diesel)

At cold start, blue smoke is often evident, and can reflect reduced oil control, due to fouling deposits around piston rings or cylinder glaze (which is actually carbon deposited in the machined cylinder crosshatching. These tiny grooves actually hold a film of oil, which in turn completes the seal between the combustion chamber and the oil wetted crankcase). Blue smoke should not be evident at any time, but it is worth noting, that engines with good sound compression can actually burn quite a lot of oil without evidence of blue smoke. Good compression allows oil to burn cleanly, as part of the fuel. It is not good though.

have you been idling the lux for a period of time..??
Swinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jpecs on Tue, 05 Jul 2011 10:12 +0000

thanks swinny, when in the mornings and the engine is cold i usually let it idol for a while before driving so i can get the oil to flow around the engines. i have a question tho. i find it hard to believe that at 33,000kms my engine is already worn :S...i only service it at the firm and they say they use NP oil and i dont drive my truck so hard and when i do i let it idle before i turn it off so i really dont want to know that my engine has already worn parts in it :shock:
jpecs

Postby stuckindmud on Wed, 06 Jul 2011 10:46 +0000

Hey JP, I`m also from Trinidad. Do you have oil leaks visable from the Turbo?
In addition to what Swinny said, it could also be a bad seal onthe turbo dumping oil in the exhaust manifold.

How long was the engine running with the sump overfilled?

Blue smoke usually means you`re burning lube oil. Black smoke - overfuel or choked intake, and i`ve heard of white smoke being attributed to water in the fuel, but never seen this myself.

BTW - TTTL is a truely a Stealership.. Bleh!!! Is this going to be a warranty repair by them?
stuckindmud

Postby Steve9R on Wed, 06 Jul 2011 11:22 +0000

I agree with all the above.. if you've overfilled your oil then thats whats caused your smoke issue..

What is happening is the crankshaft is now hitting the surface of the oil in the pan and splashing excessive oil on the cylinder walls and it will produce smoke.

it might take a while to clean itself all off the piston walls / other components now that it is back to its correct level..... so long as the rings / valve stem guides etc havent deteriorated of course..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby Philby on Wed, 06 Jul 2011 6:33 +0000

Another point to consider with a high sump oil level, the oil from the turbo cannot drain so it will push past the rear seal into the turbine housing and give you blue smoke.
Philby

Postby Swinny on Wed, 06 Jul 2011 9:52 +0000

true true and if your drain line from the turbo is block will cause it to go the the seal, some turbo's have a small filter on the inlet side on top of the turbo.
regards swinny
Swinny
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jpecs on Thu, 07 Jul 2011 6:39 +0000

thanks a lot guys..i was running that oil level at say roughly 28,000kms and changed it at 33000kms...i know i should service every 5000kms but toyota kept cancelling my appointments for whatever reason so i was forced to wait it out. it didnt start to blue smoke up until 32000-33000kms tho. that was when i noticed it atleast :? ...stuckindmud nice to see someone from Trini here man!! 8-) we should arrange a run sometime if ya interested. one thing to do you know if toyota uses castrol or np because someone told me they use NP and charge castrol prices...if so im not gonna go by them again!!

steve im hoping it cleans itself out and stops the blue smoke? it has calmed down A LOT since i got it back tho so im hoping thats the end of it
jpecs

Postby channy on Thu, 07 Jul 2011 10:33 +0000

A relatively cheap leak-down test may help you diagnose your problem.
channy

Postby blownlux on Thu, 07 Jul 2011 7:37 +0000

i would get your valve stem seals done , from experiance if it blows smoke as soon as u start and goes away after a min or so thats valve stem seals, if it blows smoke under heavy acceleration thats rings or turbo.
if turbo is leaking into exhaust this will not blow smoke as soon as you start it but will start after a few min when the exhaust is hot, i would expect valve stem seals at those km, not rings. with those km turbo could beon its way out but does not sound like it
blownlux

Postby jpecs on Fri, 08 Jul 2011 1:14 +0000

thanks a lot blownlux. would check the valve stem seals asap...hopefully it isnt expensive to fix and what not
jpecs

Postby stuckindmud on Sat, 03 Oct 2020 2:02 +0000

jpecs wrote: ...stuckindmud nice to see someone from Trini here man!! 8-) we should arrange a run sometime if ya interested. one thing to do you know if toyota uses castrol or np because someone told me they use NP and charge castrol prices...if so im not gonna go by them again!!

jpecs, as far as i know they use castrol. i have beeen on the amsoil train since i bought my first SR5 , and now with my newd4d. IMHO the engine idles smoother with the amsoil and i have had excellent results with my other lux (1KZ) , but thats prob in my mind as there is no measured evidence.

Honestly TTYL`s service has deteriorated since they started with the new model lux. before you could have services outside and carried in the van for them to check and stamp and warranty was fine, now i guess because of the volume, they have changed that policy.

I usually make runs with the dieselboys from tuner, but let me know what you guys up to and we can link.
Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat, 03 Oct 2020 2:02 +0000.
stuckindmud

Return to Engines