MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR - HELP

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR - HELP

Postby Rich on Tue, 01 Feb 2011 6:51 +0000

Well, in my bid to correct my poor fuel economy (about 430 Kms per 55 L of diesel), I took my car to Toyota today who checked it with their diagnostic machine. There were no error codes, but they said the Mass Air flow sensor might not be working properly.

I have recently cleaned the MAF sensor thanks to another thread on here, but it didn't make any difference. Toyota inspected it yesterday and said it was clean. My Air filter is also clean.

Apparently, Toyota standards say you are suppose to get .35 Gm/Sec passing the MAF sensor, and mine was getting as low as .26Gm/sec. So less air passing than what is the standard. This means less fuel and the car can be sluggish (I think).

I'm not totally sure what this means and Toyota are doing their best to find out more for me (they are pretty good here in TVL) but just thought I would ask in case anyone knows or has experience with these MAF sensor figures...

Not sure if I should spend over $300 to replace it or not.

Does anyone know about this?

Rich.
Rich

Re: MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR - HELP

Postby bill_i_am on Tue, 01 Feb 2011 6:57 +0000

Double Post???
I might be slow, but I'm rough.......
bill_i_am

Postby 9W6VX on Tue, 01 Feb 2011 9:35 +0000

Yeah, double post.

Why create another same post when the original can be moved?
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby Rich on Tue, 01 Feb 2011 9:39 +0000

BILL I am & Brendon,

I have PM'd Dave and ask him to remove the thread I incorrectly posted to the Pre 2005 hilux area in a tired state by accident last night.

Also, if you read the other thread, it says that I made a mistake and posted it there by accident, and asked Dave to remove it in the thread. I thought that explained it well enough....

This was all written in the other thread, which you both have obviosly seen if you are aware of the double post.

Hopefully now you both understand...

So anyway, my MAF sensor could be faulty.....
Rich

Postby Drew on Tue, 01 Feb 2011 9:58 +0000

Could be the maf sensor if its reading incorrectly, or it may be reading correctly but there is a restriction in the system... i found a rag sucked into the intake on a car oneday !!!! check the intake system, also check the filter again for your self. If you are nearby some one with the same ute, try their air filter, if still the same try their maf sensor. You will soon know if its the problem and worth replacing.
Im not stuck..... Im thinking
Drew

Postby Rich on Tue, 01 Feb 2011 10:07 +0000

Thanks Drew for your help mate,
Unfortunately I do not have anyone with a Diesel who I could borrow a MAF sensor from.
I did check the air filter and Toyota checked it as well, as well as the intake after the filter and nothing has passed through. I might replace the filter anyway, even though it looks clean.

I have a snorkel, so hard to check that and unlikely anything is in there.

The only explanation that with less air, it is mixing less fuel and I am needing to give it more acceleration and using more fuel overall...I don't know how likely that is.

Normally I drive pretty conservatively.

Rich.
Rich

Postby smaca on Tue, 01 Feb 2011 1:03 +0000

Hi Rich,

Don't spend $300 on Toyota replacing the MAf sensor. You can do it yourself and it only takes a few minutes. I have a contact at Toyota in Thailand and can get you any parts at half the price. They are all genuine parts.

Cheers
smaca

Postby Rich on Tue, 01 Feb 2011 1:22 +0000

Thanks Mate, I'll send you a PM.
Rich

Postby steveb on Tue, 01 Feb 2011 2:14 +0000

Rich,
May be worth giving some consideration to Intake/EGR blockage. I previously made a post in relation to what I found when I pulled the intake apart on my truck. Page 4 http://newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=524 This may cause the low airflow reading at your MAF Sensor.

Thanks
Steve
steveb

Postby Rich on Tue, 01 Feb 2011 4:23 +0000

Hi Steve, I just had a read of that thread - WOW!

That has got to help getting all the stuff out.

I don't think I could do that myself though - what mechanical skill level is required?

Mine only has 66,000 Kms. It's 5 years old though.
Rich

Postby steveb on Tue, 01 Feb 2011 4:46 +0000

Hi Rich,
In relation to mechanical skill required it probably going to depend on how far you want to go with it. After pulling mine apart I believe that you just get away with pulling the Throttle body, EGR and bend that connects to the intake manifold. The majority of crud in the manifold was near inlet and around the No.4 piston port. I believe that if you had someting similar to a bottle brush (brush on a wire) you would be able to loosen most of it and suck it out with a vacuum cleaner. This is provided that the soot is not soaked in oil as Axeten found when he did his. The soot in mine fell away easily. The EGR valve was the thing that was really blocked.

How much build up will depend on what type of driving you do. The EGR normally only operates at low engine revs and would not normally be operating on highway driving. So if you do a lot of town driving it could be blocked. The type of engine oil that is being used also has a bearing because it seeps past the turbo seals and when conbined with the exhaust from the EGR blocks the manifold.

Should you want to pull the whole thing apart you do need some specialized tools such as a crowfoot spanner to remove the injector pipes. They also have to torqued to 26 ft lbs which requires a tension wrench. To remove the Throttle body and EGR valve you only have remove the intercooler and unbolt some pipes and brackets. Hint if you are going to attempt it take photographs first so you see where everything fits and take your time. The gaskets that hold everything together are steel so if you are careful there is no need to replace them.

At the end of the day it's really what you feel comfortable with. The other option would be to take it to a good local mechanic that you trust and have them do it. They should be able to pull the EGR and throttle body out/clean/ replace in 2-3 hours which wouldn't be to bad price wise.

Thanks
Steve
steveb

Postby Rich on Sat, 05 Feb 2011 6:00 +0000

steveb wrote:Hi Rich,
In relation to mechanical skill required it probably going to depend on how far you want to go with it. After pulling mine apart I believe that you just get away with pulling the Throttle body, EGR and bend that connects to the intake manifold. The majority of crud in the manifold was near inlet and around the No.4 piston port. I believe that if you had someting similar to a bottle brush (brush on a wire) you would be able to loosen most of it and suck it out with a vacuum cleaner. This is provided that the soot is not soaked in oil as Axeten found when he did his. The soot in mine fell away easily. The EGR valve was the thing that was really blocked.

How much build up will depend on what type of driving you do. The EGR normally only operates at low engine revs and would not normally be operating on highway driving. So if you do a lot of town driving it could be blocked. The type of engine oil that is being used also has a bearing because it seeps past the turbo seals and when conbined with the exhaust from the EGR blocks the manifold.

Should you want to pull the whole thing apart you do need some specialized tools such as a crowfoot spanner to remove the injector pipes. They also have to torqued to 26 ft lbs which requires a tension wrench. To remove the Throttle body and EGR valve you only have remove the intercooler and unbolt some pipes and brackets. Hint if you are going to attempt it take photographs first so you see where everything fits and take your time. The gaskets that hold everything together are steel so if you are careful there is no need to replace them.

At the end of the day it's really what you feel comfortable with. The other option would be to take it to a good local mechanic that you trust and have them do it. They should be able to pull the EGR and throttle body out/clean/ replace in 2-3 hours which wouldn't be to bad price wise.

Thanks
Steve

Steve, Thanks for that mate, trust me I do not want to pull it apart any more than I need to! I drive conservatively, low revs mostly, around the city - so that that mean my EGR will probably be blocked?
Are there any pictures anywhere with instructions how to do it?
Also apologies for the delayed response, we have been without electricity after the cyclone and been busy cleaning up trees etc that fell over.
Rich.
Rich

Postby steveb on Sat, 05 Feb 2011 6:42 +0000

Gidday Rich,
I can imagine that you have been busy with the cleanup. The weather just doesn't seem like it is going to give up at the moment.

In relation to pulling the EGR apart I will start another thread with a "How to clean the EGR/Manifold'. I have got a hold of some of the Wynns EGR cleaner and I am going to give mine a blast just clean out the remianing crap. I will do the thread after it get that done. (I'm on holidays at the moment so I have a bit of time up my sleeve

Thanks
Steve
steveb

Postby Rich on Sat, 05 Feb 2011 8:56 +0000

Look forward to it, and your effort to do it appreciated Steve.
Rich

Postby KTM525EXC on Sat, 05 Feb 2011 9:32 +0000

x2 thanks Steve it will be a big help to alot of members

cheers Troy
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby andreimircea on Fri, 21 Oct 2022 7:16 +0000

Hi guys, I know its an old post, but i hope i can find an answer.

So, Hilux 2014 with 240k no code, car runs fine, i do have a snorkel, but my MAF reading start normally, between 8-9gm/sec, and when the engines reaches operating temp it goes up to 16,09gm/sec.

thanks in advance,
andreimircea

Postby clampy on Mon, 24 Jul 2023 8:07 +0000

ah.. nvm wrong thread window! ignore this
The problem with not finishing what i start is
clampy

Return to General Discussion