VSI50 / NCOP to be re-introduced

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

VSI50 / NCOP to be re-introduced

Postby Hilux Max on Fri, 08 Oct 2010 5:41 +0000

Hot off the press care of the 4WD Action crew -

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/news/43106-don%E2%80%99t-let-government-ban-4wding

It’s time to stand up for our rights as the Government is about to re-introduce VSI 50.

We are sure that you all remember the furore that was caused last year when the then Minister for Roads, Mr Michael Daly tried to introduce a new law that effectively banned the lifting of 4WD’s in the state of NSW. That law was known as VSI 50. Due to a huge outcry from the readers of 4WD Action, Mr Daly had no choice other than to back down and put VSI 50 on hold.

Well, believe it or not, this Government has once again been sneaking around behind our backs and they are poised to implement this law this month!

It’s time for us as 4WDer’s to once again stand up and be counted, before it’s too late. We need to send a strong and clear message to this Government that says we will not be willing to accept VSI 50 in any way, shape, or form. This Government has created VSI 50 for no real reason, and it is based upon no real evidence or research that can clearly show that lifted 4WD’s contribute to deaths or injuries on our roads.
So how can you play your part?

Don’t stand back and think that someone else will do this. Each and every one of us needs to play our part if we are going to send a clear message to this Government. Don’t let the politicians ruin our way of life, and don’t let them take away your freedom as an Australian to enjoy your chosen recreation. Send in your letter today, and please CC 4WD Action on your email to the Minister.

Simply copy our letter below and add your own personal details then click this link to send it to the Roads Minister.

minister@borger.minister.nsw.gov.au

Dear current Roads Minister,

Last year your Government tried to introduce a regulation banning responsible 4WD owners from modifying the height of their vehicles.

Although this regulation targeted street hoons, it had severe consequences for the 4WD community and we fiercely opposed it.

Since then, we've faced almost 18 months of uncertainty as your Government has held closed-door meetings and refused to provide us with any updates on the new rules.

We want this uncertainty to end now.

I urge you to publicly rule out any change to the vehicle height regulations in NSW.

I also request that you make an announcement in this vein well before the State election in March 2011, because I will be keenly interested to see what all major parties offer on this issue, and this issue will be strongly influencing my vote.

Kind regards,

Your name

why are they so desperate to pass these laws? crazy :evil: :x
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Re: VSI50 to be re-introduced

Postby troyco on Fri, 08 Oct 2010 7:47 +0000

We all should be on board here.
I am done- hope we can make a difference again
troyco
troyco

Postby wyworrie on Fri, 08 Oct 2010 7:47 +0000

Done
wyworrie

Postby Skog07 on Fri, 08 Oct 2010 7:57 +0000

There is a similar thread over on newtriton with a very interesting response from the flip side of VSI 50.... Lowering a vehicle.. I did find it a very interesting read. Will Pm the poster and ask if I can copy paste his thread onto here..
For those who are members on newtrition here is the thread here.
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopi ... =18&t=6422
Cheers
Skog
Skog07

Postby Viper82 on Fri, 08 Oct 2010 8:04 +0000

wyworrie wrote:Done

X2
Viper82

Postby Oz Bruiser on Fri, 08 Oct 2010 8:14 +0000

Skog07 wrote:There is a similar thread over on newtriton with a very interesting response from the flip side of VSI 50.... Lowering a vehicle.. I did find it a very interesting read. Will Pm the poster and ask if I can copy paste his thread onto here..
For those who are members on newtrition here is the thread here.
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopi ... =18&t=6422
Cheers
Skog

Intresting read Skog. The draft of the VSI50 that was published via a link in here i thinki a couple of weeks ago makes alot of sense with what the guy(Kegsy) has to say about Mini Trucks. in the last part of that vsi document i remembered reading about the lifting of vehicles that aloud them to raise and lower factory ride height and at the time wondered how it effected our community as not many 4wd apart from Land Rovers/ Range rovers have that ability ofthe top of my head.
Oz Bruiser

Postby Kegsy_triton on Fri, 08 Oct 2010 8:40 +0000

G'Day guys,

As you may have guessed, Im the "Kegsy" from the Triton forums.

I did give permission to Skog to post up my post from newtriton, so Im sure he will. Thought I'd come over here and see what you blokes think of it (VSI 50). There has been massive threads on the minitruck forums about VSI 50 for nearly a couple of years now. Unfortunately most of it is dribble and incoherent crap by 17 year olds wearing flat brim baseball caps :lol:

IMO the way VSI 50 is written if it should come into action, will not have a major impact on the 4wd community. But a cause for concern nevertheless.

I've seen the latest draft, as I assume most of you. Its quite carefully written from the way I see it on this side of the fence.

Pretty much Mini Trucks are going to get hammered and 4wds will need to be engineered if its over a 50mm lift? No big deal for the 4wd community as far as being allowed to lift your truck, but it will now cost a little bit more and a few more hoops to jump through.

The latest VSI 50 is a great improvement over the last draft. The previous draft had everyone pretty much up the creek without a paddle. The new draft, IMO leaves the door open just enough for the 4wd guys to sneak through (I hope).

But the hot-rodders are still in trouble as well, but they will hopefully get around in ICV and hotrod rego.
Kegsy_triton

Postby Skog07 on Fri, 08 Oct 2010 9:01 +0000

I have permission from Kegsey to post this up.
VSI 50 is a touchy one for me...

I realise why this has happened, probably a LOT more than a lot of people on here.

Pretty much minitruckers have caused this problem. I know, I am one. And I truly apologise for the damage our community has done. Most of us in the MT community do the right thing, but sadly a lot of us didn't and it has reflected badly on us as a whole.

VSI 50 isn't IMO really written to stop 4WDrivers, I truely believe you/us (the 4WD community) are caught in the middle of a fight between the gov' and minitruckers.

VSI 50 doesn't really impact on hoons like the skyline boys etc. They have no need, nor cannot lower their cars any further than what VSI 50 regulates. They are fine.

The way VSI 50 is written is to completely close every loop hole against the minitrucking community. As a result 4wd's get caught up in the web.

The main problem with the minitrucks is the notch in the chassis (specifically listed in VSI 50) which allows extra suspension travel. Combined with airbag suspension these utes can lower onto the ground and still in some cases lift 4 inches ABOVE stock height.

This is where the 4wd guys cop it. Because some of these minitrucks can lower onto the ground and lift above stock height both ends of the spectrum have to be covered by VSI 50.

Ok, so just make a 4wd exemption. Too easy? Its not.

A lot of the vehicles minitruckers modify are 4wd based chassis'. 4 runners and 100series landcruisers are re-bodied onto different chassis' to allow lowering. Some of the newer commercial utes share a common chassis between 2wd and 4x4 etc.

Ok ban the chassis notch, leave everything else alone. Minitrucks can't excessively lower and 4wdrivers are happy... It won't work. Minitrucker's will build complete new chassis' for their utes to avoid the notch and re-body them, install a falcon ute rear chassis section or install a new rear clip on the chassis (which is now the common practice).

There is literally 100's loop holes in the laws unless they use VSI 50. But then we have ICV...

Of course this is all my opinion, but I think Im not too far off the mark.

Just as some background knowledge, under current laws these minitrucks can be engineered and be fully road legal. I know, I currently have a fully engineered minitruck that can do all the things I've listed above. I've spent a lot of time and effort engineering this truck to be 100% road legal under the current law, if VSI 50 comes in I'll have a $40K paper weight, and its a 1986 vehicle. So you can see the dollars I've spent on the engineering side.

However, airbagged / notched minitrucks must run bumpstops at a fail height which stops the chassis touching the ground. There has been a MASSIVE push for these bumpstops to be ran at all times whilst on public roads from within the minitruck community for quite a few years now. And most guys abide by this rule as to preserve our way of life.

However there are plenty of people who do not, most being P platers which also doesn't help. When bumpstops are ran as per engineering / RTA requirements, these vehicles are very safe and are 100% legal.

At shows we do get under the trucks and remove the bumpstops to get the cars on the ground for the look. This also is photo documented and doesn't help the cause either as its all over the internet. A lot of minitruck show organisers are now inspecting show cars for bumpstops before permitting vehicles to re-enter the public road system.

I realise by writing this Im probably going to have a few enemies or flamings now on this site, but I've got thick skin and I actually think us minitruckers do owe 4wd owners a massive appology. Its just weird I've got a foot in each camp.

I can only hope for both camps VSI 50 doesn't come into power, or at least if it does, the 4wdrivers escape its contents. As a minitrucker, we made our bed we should lay in it.

Greg.

Thanks Kegsy for permission to post this up on the newhilux site..You have no fear of flamings here. These laws actualy effect a bigger audience than the 4wd drive scene..
Cheers
Mark
PS.. You beat me to it.. haha.
Skog07

VSI50 to be re-introduced

Postby stringer on Sat, 09 Oct 2010 1:38 +0000

I've done it, don't live in NSW but I can see this easily becoming into effect in other states if it's not stomped on now.
I think we all should stand up on this one
stringer

Postby Sr5luxy on Sun, 10 Oct 2010 6:52 +0000

stringer wrote:I've done it, don't live in NSW but I can see this easily becoming into effect in other states if it's not stomped on now.
I think we all should stand up on this one

x2
Sr5luxy

Postby djyates on Mon, 11 Oct 2010 12:43 +0000

Question for any legal boffins on this site, if (or when) VSI 50 comes into effect will any vehicle registered outside of NSW be required to meet the standards to travel on our roads( eg. travelling from Vic. to Q'land. via NSW)? I have read elsewhere that it will be a requirement to meet VSI 50 to drive on NSW roads regardless of where you reside. The revised draft is a bit more forgiving than the original, but could cause grief nonetheless. As long as your truck meets the current laws, you should not be affected. You will just have to keep it for good!
Last edited by djyates on Mon, 11 Oct 2010 12:55 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
djyates

Postby Hilux Max on Mon, 11 Oct 2010 12:49 +0000

bugger...means Ill have to drive through South Australia, Northern territory to get to brisbane!

long drive. :shock:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Kegsy_triton on Mon, 11 Oct 2010 1:39 +0000

djyates wrote:Question for any legal boffins on this site, if (or when) VSI 50 comes into effect will any vehicle registered outside of NSW be required to meet the standards to travel on our roads( eg. travelling from Vic. to Q'land. via NSW)? I have read elsewhere that it will be a requirement to meet VSI 50 to drive on NSW roads regardless of where you reside. The revised draft is a bit more forgiving than the original, but could cause grief nonetheless. As long as your truck meets the current laws, you should not be affected. You will just have to keep it for good!

By law, if your car is registered and complies to the regs in the state in which it is registered, It is deemed safe to drive in any state or territory in Australia.

So if you reside outside of NSW, you do not have to comply with NSW's additional laws. IE VSI 50.

However, the coppers only know their states / territories rules, so you may have a "friendly" encounter with the cops depending on what mood they are in. But you will still be in the clear.
Kegsy_triton

Postby Steve9R on Mon, 11 Oct 2010 2:30 +0000

Very interesting read Kegsy...thanks for your input. it puts a different light on the issue!

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby clarkii on Wed, 13 Oct 2010 3:31 +0000

Done
clarkii

Postby wholehog on Wed, 13 Oct 2010 4:21 +0000

me to
wholehog

Postby wat700 on Thu, 14 Oct 2010 7:19 +0000

Ticked that box!
wat700

Postby Chancha_Blanca on Thu, 14 Oct 2010 7:33 +0000

FYI

http://www.directory.nsw.gov.au/showminister.asp?id={09EEC72F-0381-498E-BCDF-DE7CF521676C}
Without Trucks, Australia Stops, Without Hilux, the World Stops!
Chancha_Blanca

Postby trymypride on Mon, 18 Oct 2010 12:29 +0000

I just "sold" my hilux to my dad - Interstate.... :lol:
trymypride

Postby ScotsMan on Sat, 23 Oct 2010 7:01 +0000

there is a vsi-50 interview on the 4wd action home page interviewing Andrew Stoner
ScotsMan
Platinum Subscriber

Next

Return to General Discussion