VSI50 / NCOP to be re-introduced

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Re: VSI50 to be re-introduced

Postby kyle300exc on Tue, 13 Sep 2011 6:34 +0000

I believe its called 'Agenda 21' all part of a United Nations movement to control the worlds population and the sustainability in their opinion of the future of our planet. Whilst this is a long bow to draw on our vehicle modifications I believe this is their or our governments way of restricting our ability to venture into the out doors. Restricting our capability now will eventually lead to us being banned from every point of access into our wilderness via vehicle.
Correct me if Im wrong but before you do google Agenda 21 and have a read.
Dam you Prius drivers I bought a diesel with emissions control what more do you want?
Kyle

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
kyle300exc

Postby lmichie on Tue, 13 Sep 2011 6:43 +0000

Not that I'm a big fan of it but there is more to it than what is being sensationalised.

One of the points about forcing you to join a club is not true. It is an example of showing that there is a reason for having the extra lift and that you know what your doing and are responsible. Just doing a course is pointless as we know that people will just turn up and not pay attention. If you consider that these courses cost around $500 and the membership of most clubs is less than $100 which often includes the same if not better training it puts some perspective on it.

There is also some debate about what is deemed safe. Bearing in mind that the current rules in NSW state that you can only do a suspension lift up to 1/3 of the travel of your suspension. Unless you have 12" of travel to start with, a 4" suspension lift is not legal currently and 18" of travel to do a 6" lift. Under VSI50, that is eliminated so you actualy have more freedom.

There are many misrepresentations sprouted by Shaun such as Club members being allowed full rego when they actually only get 25mm extra and it doesn't say that there will be conditional registration but that there may be restrictions. The document that Shaun is holding actually outlines the reasons behind it etc but he doesn't explain any of that because that would not sell magazines.

Yes there are changes coming but they're not all to our detrement.
Stop laughing and give me a hand with the winch!
lmichie

Postby Browny on Tue, 13 Sep 2011 6:49 +0000

Latest 4WD Action write up on this. See link. They are getting the partition going.
http://enews.emgroup.com.au/4wd/2011/VSI50/index.html
HA HA HA HA BOOM BOOM!!!
Browny

Postby ultimate on Tue, 13 Sep 2011 7:20 +0000

I personally think this issue is being sensationalised and there is no point getting all beat up about it yet. The DRAFT I read today was exactly that...A DRAFT. There is still a long way to go before it is introduced. In saying that, this has never gone away and it never will. The 4WD Industry council (which Ultimate Suspension is a committee member for) and the AAAA have been in constant negotiations with the RTA on this and are making a lot of progress.

A few of the points in the current draft do need to be cleaned up, but it is manageable. The changes to suspension and tyres will actually suit 90% of the population and larger lifts and modifications will still be possible with engineering. Just look at this forum; every member on here running a 2"lift and 31's is currently illegal due to tyre size. Under the new laws you would be automatically covered. The guys with larger tyres will still have a chance to engineer them regardless of what that email said. The RTA is about to launch a new engineering scheme at the end of the month which will put more engineers around the state and make it cheaper and easier for the public to get their vehicles certified.

I think what is scaring people the most is the fact that the RTA is taking action to set down solid laws and enforce them. At the moment there are too many illegally modified vehicles on the road and companies/publications promoting illegal lifts, oversized tyres and things like extended shackles are not helping. It will be difficult and a real wake up call for some; but the enthusiasts who want to do the right thing will still have their chance.

In my opinion; 4wding is not under threat in Australia.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby Naisie on Wed, 14 Sep 2011 10:54 +0000

ultimate wrote:In my opinion; 4wding is not under threat in Australia.

I think 4wding has been under threat for a long time in this country.

With National Parks already closing off so many tracks its only a matter of time til someone takes away the right to modify our own cars or at least add more and more restrictions to the point of ridiculousness.

Don't we all love being told how and where we can spend our hard earned dollars? :shock:
:D ~ Renee ~ :D

BITUMEN - Another waste of taxpayers dollars!
Naisie
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jiggins on Wed, 14 Sep 2011 6:23 +0000

Naisie wrote:
ultimate wrote:In my opinion; 4wding is not under threat in Australia.

I think 4wding has been under threat for a long time in this country.

With National Parks already closing off so many tracks its only a matter of time til someone takes away the right to modify our own cars or at least add more and more restrictions to the point of ridiculousness.

Don't we all love being told how and where we can spend our hard earned dollars? :shock:

Slightly off topic but lets face it they have already told us what we can use in our homes being our lighting in the way of energy saving light globes and before you sell your house you have to have smoke detectors installed. While I did think this is a good thing as thay save live its another invasion in the home.
jiggins

My 2005 Dual Cab Hilux Garden Ornament will move again one day. :shock:

Yep... One Day. :roll:

Update: My 2005 Dual Cab Hilux Garden Ornament is back on the road. :shock:
jiggins
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Batomba on Tue, 20 Sep 2011 6:23 +0000

Not sure if this link has already been posted. Putting it up anyway.

http://takeaction.4wdaction.com.au/

Basically some info on here and video's with a email template to send off that goes as follows.

Dear minister

We wish to bring the following to your attention about VSI 50.

We point out when Andrew Stoner was the shadow minister for roads he was very supportive towards the 4WD community and anti-VSI 50. In 2011 Andrew Stoner ensured us that if the Liberals and Nationals were elected into government they would not let the RTA secretively push VSI 50 through parliament.

We wish you to be fully acquainted with our argument.

We take issue with the blanket ban of fitment of tyres more than 50mm larger than standard diameter. I accept the fact that tyres more than 50mm larger than standard diameter alter a vehicle’s handling characteristics, but believe that if I wish to fit these tyres, I should be given the chance to prove the vehicle is as safe as any on the roads. Within the confines of VSI50’s stated 150mm total maximum headlight height increase, I also ask you to scrap the maximum allowable tyre diameter increase altogether.

We also object to being forced into joining a 4WD club to be eligible for unconditional registration of a vehicle lifted more than 75mm over standard height. How does being a 4WD member help improve the safety of my 4WD on the road? This therefore doesn’t appear to be a safety related policy.

I urge you to address the following issues;

- Make known your plans for the implementation of VSI50
- Raise the maximum engineerable tyre size limit
- Scrap the conditional registration clauses and,
- Do not discriminate against non-4WD club members by issuing conditional registration for 4WDs lifted over 75mm.

Regards,
Batomba

Postby kyle300exc on Tue, 20 Sep 2011 7:37 +0000

I know a few will disagree but I am for people either belonging to a 4wd club or atleast participating in an approved training course and completing it (possibly stating that on our Drivers License). Too many times you see people doing stupid things in their vehicle off road which can be either dangerous or give the rest of us a bad rap by the general public.
Ive witnessed for example someone attempting a recovery via a tow ball. 90% of the time you may get away with it but we have just recently lost a life due to this.
I am a member of a 4wd club and have done Basic and Intermediate courses and I think it was worth my while.
I can appreciate people in remote areas having difficulty with that and I suppose some allowances should be made.
Kyle

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
kyle300exc

Postby ultimate on Tue, 20 Sep 2011 7:47 +0000

x2. Well said Kyle
The Team at
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby Batomba on Tue, 20 Sep 2011 7:57 +0000

kyle300exc wrote:I know a few will disagree but I am for people either belonging to a 4wd club or atleast participating in an approved training course and completing it (possibly stating that on our Drivers License). Too many times you see people doing stupid things in their vehicle off road which can be either dangerous or give the rest of us a bad rap by the general public.
Ive witnessed for example someone attempting a recovery via a tow ball. 90% of the time you may get away with it but we have just recently lost a life due to this.
I am a member of a 4wd club and have done Basic and Intermediate courses and I think it was worth my while.
I can appreciate people in remote areas having difficulty with that and I suppose some allowances should be made.

x2

I plan on doing a course. I am totally new to the 4x4 scene, and am first to admit i know absolutely nothing. So I think a good starting point would be to do a course. And i don't see that there is anything wrong with being with a club if its by choice and not forced though.

I have been a member of aussie elises and lotus club of victoria. And completed 2 courses with john bowe. Was a good experience and showed me what the car was capable of. Even though the only reason I did this was because I was required by my insurance company due to me being under 25 at the time, and them not insuring anyone under 25.
Batomba

Postby ultimate on Tue, 20 Sep 2011 8:03 +0000

I think the 4WD club and training conditions are being taken out of context. The RTA wanted to ban big lifts altogether and it was 4WD NSW and ACT who were able to negotiate a compromise where bigger lifts will be allowed if the owners go through a club and get the right training. It appears to me that there is a movement attacking the compromise which could end badly. The RTA didn't have to agree with it and can pull the condition out all together banning bigger lifts. The condition is only for lifts over 75mm and doesn't affect the majority of road users.
The Team at
ultimate

Postby EASTCOAST on Tue, 20 Sep 2011 8:52 +0000

All it comes down to is MONEY....................Like everything.....

If the laws made it easy to lift your 4x4 to a resonable height and make it legal we all would be driving legal utes that suited our needs...But instead it costs $800 to $1500 to get a 4 inch lift and tyres engineered.

I would really like someone to show how a stock hilux handles better than one with the same set up as mine in wet or dry conditions.....In my opinion you carn't because it dos'nt
******If you can ignore it its not a real problem******
EASTCOAST

Postby ultimate on Tue, 20 Sep 2011 9:25 +0000

The problem is the amount of modification required to run any suspension lift over 50mm (remember this legislation covers every vehicle on the road). There is no way you can say all 4" kits are safe on every vehicle as not all of the kits include the necessary parts to correct all of the steering, brake and drive line components. We have seen some frightening mods and so has the RTA. Unfortunately a few ruin it for all and the fact that people aren't following current legislation has pushed the RTA into bringing out new laws and enforcing them. It will hurt companies like us a lot but it is something we have to adapt to.
The Team at
ultimate

Postby jarrad2314 on Wed, 21 Sep 2011 5:07 +0000

What the government fails to understand is that this would severely hurt many Australian businesses, which they apparently try to support. I'm not convinced though :|
jarrad2314

Postby Ken Mad on Tue, 11 Oct 2011 12:05 +0000

done ;)
Ken Mad

Postby PluckA76 on Wed, 26 Oct 2011 10:16 +0000

I think Australia has become a nanny state, just look at the current pathetic firearms laws that was implemented. A knee jerk reaction to 1 tragic event by little Johnny.

I think we are lucky we have had some say and consultation on this one. When it is finally signed off as mentioned it should cover most lifts and tyres increases or the option of of you getting it engineered.

I am skeptic though as I have to come back to the firearms laws which are really a living document where they seem to be able to modify specifics at will.
HE WHO DIES WITH MOST TOYS WINS
PluckA76

Postby Chancha_Blanca on Thu, 24 Nov 2011 5:41 +0000

Anyone have any updates?
Without Trucks, Australia Stops, Without Hilux, the World Stops!
Chancha_Blanca

Postby lmichie on Thu, 24 Nov 2011 6:03 +0000

Seems the RTA have been playing games with the reps for 4WDers as well as Hot Rodders etc. NSW 4WD association is working with CAMS to get a unified front. There is a "meet the pollies" day in planning but I don't have any more details at the moment.
lmichie

Postby kyle300exc on Thu, 24 Nov 2011 6:05 +0000

Been informed by a reliable source that will probably post here very soon that we have about 12- 18 months before the RTA are going to have every detailed measurment on vehicle standard supension, enabling police to measure a car and more or less instantly compare that to the exceptable standard. Dont think theyve finalised it yet but wasnt sounding good as to the allowable modification. :twisted:
Im just going to enjoy it while I have it (mods I mean)
Kyle

kyle300exc

Postby lmichie on Thu, 24 Nov 2011 6:12 +0000

Already been collecting it for a while.

http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/pls/wwws/pubrvcs.view_app_details?sCertID=33886&sMakeModel=TOYOTA+HILUX+150+SER

http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/perl/33886_849109_RVD_15Jun2009084705.cmd

The changes are not retrospective so if you get it engineered before it comes in, it doesn't matter.
lmichie

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion