Older fuel tank

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Older fuel tank

Postby Cranker on Wed, 28 Mar 2007 7:06 +0000

A mate at work asked my today if i knew anyone that wanted a second fuel tank for their 'Lux. His Hilux would be around 10 years old or less. He mentioned it was a 68 litre tank or close to it.

I didn't get to ask any questions as his phone rang and he took off.

Question is, would an older model secondary tank fit my Hilux? and, what would it take to fit it up and make it work?

I actually thought that when u go a 'long range tank' they rip out your old and put in a bigger one.

Never have asked but...

What do u guys know on the subject?
Cranker

Older fuel tank

Postby Cranker on Thu, 29 Mar 2007 4:06 +0000

Ok, caught up with my mate again today.
He has a fuel tank from a TD Hilux probably '00 or later (think they are all the same) and i was thinking that maybe it would be possible to fit this tank next to the original one and hook up duel tanks.

I could make up brackets to fit it and also could move the exhaust around if needed. I expect i would need to get some extra bits 'n' peices to make it work.

Surely some of you guys have done similar things on your earlier 4B's. Got any advice?

This is a hypothetical question unless it works out to be cheaper to fit a long range tank.
Just thought i would play with the idea as i can get this tank for nix.

So what u reckon?
Cranker

Older fuel tank

Postby TOMUCH on Thu, 29 Mar 2007 10:09 +0000

Cranker, I think that unless you have an engineering workshop, ( or something similar in your garage) you would be better off just getting a longranger.... I have heard of guys fitting up a secondary tank where the spare wheel currently resides... they put the spare either on a carrier or on the roof / tray... as for putting his tank next to yours, I don't think you would have room for the rear propshaft to move if it was beside it... and then again... where would you put the filler neck.... you could link the two tanks via a hose but that would take a while to fill(couple of hours to trickle through) or you could mount an electric pump to transfer the fuel across.. Don't mean to sound negative, but I think it may just be too much mucking around... Good luck with it... let us know if you decide to go ahead and how you go with it... Cheers TOMUCH
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

Older fuel tank

Postby Cranker on Sat, 31 Mar 2007 7:06 +0000

TOMUCH, just so happen to be a boilermaker and able to make any brackets that are needed etc. and across the road from work there is a truck and trailer repair place that can sign off on any work done to make it all legit.

What my mate has done is fitted another tank on the the opposite side and fitted a fuel pump to transfer fuel from that side to the standard tank when empty. He has had to move the exhaust though which i would assume i would have to do. His is a '97 model so there is a bit of difference but hopefully not too much.
Haven't had time to even look under my 'Lux to see if it would fit. Might have time this weekend.

End of the day it would be good to knock up this idea, how much did the long range tank cost for u guys?

Cranker

Older fuel tank

Postby TOMUCH on Sat, 31 Mar 2007 10:21 +0000

Fair enough... I have seen guys with little to no experiance try and tackle jobs like this before with disaterous results....LOL... The longranger was just under $1000.. expensive yes... solid, absolutly... and the exhaust and propshafts clear it with heaps of room... Hey, good luck and keep us informed... pics would be good... Cheers TOMUCH
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

Return to General Discussion