Diesle Power Chip installed- Dyno Results

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Postby Norm C on Fri, 02 Mar 2007 8:13 +0000

I had a Diesel Power chip installed today. Not a DP Chip, a different one. Made in Germany and imported / marketed in Australia by Diesel Tuning on the Gold Coast, just down the road from me.

Cost $990 including GST.

We took the Hilux for a drive before I made the decision to buy. Made a very noticable difference above about 2000 to 2,200 RPM. Didn't seem as much below.

During our discussion, he offered to have a Dyno done at his expense (I had some sweetners to generate this offer). There was a Dyno shop next door to him, so he probably gets a good rate any way.

The results are posted in my profile. Had trouble uploadinig a scan of the printed results, so I've loaded a photo of the screen from the Dyno machine.

22.5% improvement in power from 89 KW to 109 KW. I get to the previous max of 89 KW at 2700 RPM now, instead of the previous 3550 RPM. Much more usable power.

The dyno really highlights the need to get the D4D reving if you need power.
At 1800 RPM, before chip, I only had about 44 KW.

I'm very happy so far. Just got to decide whether I lash out another $1,000 for a 2 3/4 inch mandrel exhaust from Beaudesert Exhausts.

If I do, I'll see if I can get another dyno done to see what it does.

Link to Diesel Tuning, where I got the chip.
http://www.users.bigpond.com/dieseltunning/index.htm
Norm C

Postby hound on Sat, 03 Mar 2007 2:12 +0000

How did you go on fuel after the chip and did it make any difference when your take off on a hill in first(2wd)?
hound

Postby Norm C on Sat, 03 Mar 2007 3:30 +0000

Don't know about fuel yet as I just got it done. The supplier of this and most other chips claim that fuel usage goes down. Others I have spoken to with different chips installed say that got a slight improvement or no change.

Only time will tell.

In terms of starting off, if under heavy load, I still have to get it some boot and get it up to 2,000 RPM. But once I do that, it makes a difference.

Major change is in response at higher revs, above about 2200.
Norm C

Postby Doug67 on Sat, 03 Mar 2007 6:56 +0000

Power will not help change the gearing prob, if auto it would help.
Doug67

Postby Norm C on Sat, 03 Mar 2007 7:44 +0000

Doug, it helps to the extent that at 1800 RPM, I now have 52KW rather than 42 KW. And my power curve continues up at a steeper angle and for much longer than before.

There is not much that can transfer this power down say to 1200 RPM.

The exhaust should give me a further boost low down, but only time will tell.

Trading the Hilux on one of the new 76 Series 4.5 litre TD V8s should help. But that's not an option for a couple of years at least.

Once the exhaust is done, I think that will be about it for major mods on this vehicle.
Norm C

Postby Doug67 on Sun, 04 Mar 2007 8:17 +0000

Just means more power to slip the clutch. Agree once off the mark the power helps.
Doug67

Postby Norm C on Sun, 04 Mar 2007 9:53 +0000

Does this mean you have a different and better solution Doug?
Norm C

Postby Doug67 on Mon, 05 Mar 2007 7:44 +0000

Not yet
I've been moving house over the last week sliping the clutch as I'm backing up my rather large trailer. A couple of times I put it in low range and was heaps better, the driveway was straight but the windup in the transmission was thier so I'm not doing that anymore. I'm in the market for a new clutch, just getting ready, I can see itr coming. just done the 60K service, I bought the vehicle with 32K. Is there another diff ratio we can put in? and would that mean we would need to change the front and rear? This problem is very noticeable with 33" tyres.
Doug67

Postby TOMUCH on Mon, 05 Mar 2007 7:13 +0000

Doug67, you will definately have to change both, front and rear... a better solution is maybe a change in transfer gears. You should put some research into that...a much cheaper option and would give you a better ratios in high and low if you go that option...Give Marks 4WD adapters a call...03 9702 7366
Cheers
TOMUCH
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

Postby Doug67 on Tue, 06 Mar 2007 8:31 +0000

Yes good idea but other things to do first, I'm bet somone with more money than me will do that first.
Doug67

Postby DrewXT on Thu, 08 Mar 2007 9:42 +0000

Norm,

before you "lash out" for a Beaudesert system, have a chat with Kerry at TaipanXP... His systems are EuroIV compliant (he replaces the cat as well as the other exhaust components)... Beaudeserts will supply a cat under duress... DOTARS require a cat be installed to be compliant, as there is one in the system presented for compliancing!

here's an article on the TaipanXP product... :-)

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_108231/article.html

When I spoke with both companies, TaipanXP pointed out that Beaudesert don't comply with EPA requirements. Beaudesert were only interested in bagging the TaipanXP product...

Dunno, but I research before I buy... :roll:
DrewXT

Postby mischief on Thu, 08 Mar 2007 7:48 +0000

interesting, i do like the exaust from Taipan, wonder how much it'll cost to ship to WA?
mischief

Postby Norm C on Thu, 08 Mar 2007 9:31 +0000

Drewski, I'm familiar with Tiapan. I spoke to them and had a quote. Also know a couple of people with their system who are happy. Yes, they have a good system, but it was about $400 more than Beaudesert Exhausts.

Tiapan and Beaudesert are both experienced successful businesses with good reputations. They both clearly have a good product.

Although technically perhaps (and I'm not certain on this) I should have a cat converter, all tests I have read about on the new generation common rail diesels suggest that one of the edvantages of them is that they meet EuroIV requirements without a cat. Don't know, but what I have read. If true, I'd have thought this is the main objective.

Interesting what you say about Beaudesert bagging Tiapan. I found the same at Tiapan. Even after my discussion and e-mails with them I had a phone call. One of their guys had seen a post I put on the ExploreOz forum about the chip I had put in and that I was thinking about a Beaudesert Exhaust. The purpose of his call was to tell me I had it all wrong. He first bagged the chip and said the one they sell is the only one to get. He then bagged Beaudesert Exhausts.
This is obviously a common trait in this industry. Not a selling style I support, from any company.

In any case, I now have a 2 3/4 inch mandrel bent Beaudesert fitted. Got it done on Tuesday. Haven't had a dyno done yet, but the feel is that I have a lot more power at lower revs than before. Happy so far.

Hope to get a dyno done in the next few days. But as I'm not paying for it, I have to fit in with the schedule of the workshop.

Like you I research before I buy. The fact that we came to slightly different conclusions doesn't mean much. Bit like Nissan v Toyota; Waeco v Engel debates.

Norm C

Postby Tonym on Thu, 08 Mar 2007 9:43 +0000

Does the new system sound any different to the standard and is the tail pipe longer? Its typical of most small business with similar product bagging each other in this country.
Tonym

Postby Norm C on Thu, 08 Mar 2007 9:59 +0000

Tony, I haven't really noticed a change in sound (but have not taken much notice). But my wife mentioned last night that she reckons it now sounds 'less like a diesel'.

If you mean does the tail pipe protrude out the back further, I don't think so, but it does now slightly bend down at the end. Possibly reduces ground clearance by a small amount (10mm or less).
Norm C

Postby TOMUCH on Fri, 09 Mar 2007 9:02 +0000

Would be very keen to see the Dyno figures... Am researching the same thing myself.... If you don't mind me asking, what was the cost for the Beaudesert Exhaust?
TOMUCH
TOMUCH

Postby Tonym on Fri, 09 Mar 2007 6:38 +0000

I was wondering if you get any blackening of your back bumper with the new tail pipe thats why I asked. I have not got my car yet but will be putting one of these systems on when I do. Its due on the 21st Mar.
Tonym

Postby Norm C on Sun, 11 Mar 2007 6:23 +0000

The cost was $895, plus $120 fitting. You can fit yourself, but since I'm in the area (Gold COast) I had them fit it.
If you are not in the area, they ship anywhere in Aust.

Tony, I have removed my rear Step (too low for my needs), so no blackening. But the slight turn down at the end would pretty much solve this I think.

Tomuch, I don't know if I'll be getting the dyno done now. As it was to be a 'freebee', I had to fit in with the workshop work schedule. He has been flat out for the past few days.
I'm heading off on a trip to the Gulf (fishing) in a few days and will probably load the boat up today or tomorrow. Once the boat is on, I can't fit in the workshop.
If I don't load up today, I'll call in the morning and see if he can fit me in. If not, I don't think it will be done.

The feel is that I have even more power than with the chip alone and that the big difference is low down.
Tony, you also asked about the sound. I went round the back for a listen yesterday at idle. Up close it has a much deeper 'throb'. A bit more like a V8 petrol that a diesel, from the exhaust, providing you can shut out the diesel sound coming from the motor up front.
Norm C

Postby TOMUCH on Thu, 12 Apr 2007 5:27 +0000

Guys, I ordered and received my new Tiapan 3 inch mandrel bent exhaust system today.. took about an hour to knock out the old system and fit the new one... was very easy job, made easier due to having a vehicle hoist... Cost was $1350 delivered to Darwin... struck a deal with the supplier.. I must say the exhaust system fitted like a factory one.. sounds good and is much more responsive down low. Can hear the Turbo spool up clearly with the windows down...Exhaust note is lower and more definate... will have to get it out and try it in the bush.. the pipe work tucks up nice and high... if you are going to do the job yourself... go out and buy three new nuts for the turbo dump mount.. these do not come in the kit, you are supposed to use the old ones.... these little buggers were a pain in the ass to remove and I ended up rounding one of them slightly... I replaced it with a standard nut... will be replacing them soon.. that my personal preference... I figure if I'm gunna spend all that cash .. I should at least do the job professionally... will send some pics soon... Cheers TOMUCH
TOMUCH

Return to General Discussion