Do you actually use your Hi Lift Jack?

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Do you actually use your Hi Lift Jack?

Postby Diegothecat on Sun, 21 Jun 2009 6:25 +0000

Iv been tossing up getting one, but cant rally think of a time that i would need one.

So the question is when do you really use one?
Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Re: Do you actually use your Hi Lift Jack?

Postby rodw on Sun, 21 Jun 2009 6:45 +0000

Diego

I am pretty much in the same camp. They can be handy every now and again, but probably not worth carrying the weight. You can use them as a hand winch and there is a video showing how to do this on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSPbDwnUC-M so maybe there is a case as it gives you a jack and a hand winch. You can also use them for break beads on a tyre but there are other ways.

With a good base plate, you can always use an ordinary jack, just it might take more time and you might get dirtier in muddy conditions.

I have never seen one actually used in a vehicle recovery.
rodw

Postby Alby on Sun, 21 Jun 2009 7:17 +0000

I have one............never used it, also have a bottle type hydraulic jack that is a lot more compact and better than the factory supplied jack.
I would think that the Hilift would be handy if you were sitting in an awkward position that would require a lot of packing to get the bottle type jacks to work
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby cr1pp5 on Sun, 21 Jun 2009 7:24 +0000

i used mine for removing fence posts once....have nver used it on the car yet, as I havent really got the car out, but I don't have another jack and I got the high lift for only $60....The other thing to remember is, a lot of people don't have correct lifting points for the high lift hence why they slip out a lot, but as Rod said, they can double up as a hand winch too
R.I.P. The Bogan Truck 14/11/2007 - 08/05/2010
cr1pp5

Postby Marshwa on Sun, 21 Jun 2009 7:52 +0000

if i had sliders i would buy one quick smart. BUt don't see much point for one without them or a bullbar with the correct tabs for it
Marshwa

Postby olcoolone on Sun, 21 Jun 2009 8:08 +0000

Used ours on the last trip we did after plugging a tyre 3 times that we drove on for 600 kilometers we thought we better replace it as the next leg was from Alice Springs to Adelaide.

They are a must if off roading but if you only run on good roads you could get away with out it.

The extra lift and being able to winch is the benefits of a hilift.

There are many tricks you can do with a hilift if you become stuck.

You have to have the right mounts on your Hilux to be able to use a Hilift, you cn't use it on a standard 4x4 Hilux.

One other thing is make a jacking plate to use with any type of jack, all it is is a 300mm square 6mm alloy plate that you put under a scissor or bottle jack to give a better base for jacking.
olcoolone

Postby Bull on Sun, 21 Jun 2009 8:33 +0000

I use mine all the time. Changing flat tyres this time of year (dry season) but great for lifting tyres up to put bog mats or rails under. Wouldn't drive out of the shed without one. Every Toyota I own (9) bar the 100 series has one permanently mounted to it somewhere.
Bull

Postby 9W6VX on Mon, 22 Jun 2009 12:14 +0000

Moving to general discussion.
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby Diegothecat on Mon, 22 Jun 2009 3:52 +0000

Sweet thanks guys just ordered mine, and i even get 15 coppies of 4x4 action included, Not a bad deal i think, ill just have to make up some custom hanginig brackets so i can install it in the tray behind the cab.

Thanks for the help once again.

Ben
Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Postby Richard on Mon, 22 Jun 2009 11:04 +0000

Mine sat in the box room for 18 months until this happened a few weeks ago. Not even a winch could move it.

A combination of a High Lift Jack, chainsaw for wood packing and 3 attempts at snatching finally got it.

(Have to admit though we had to come back into town to get the jack after a six hour wait for a lift the next day).

Richard
Richard

Postby rodw on Tue, 23 Jun 2009 12:13 +0000

Geez Richard, When you get bogged, you certainly do it properly. Good to see you had "cold" supplies on hand for that 6 hour wait mate!
rodw

Postby tasibrett on Tue, 23 Jun 2009 6:41 +0000

Don't forget to get yourself a" Lift Mate" to go with your jack. I have the old tube over the axle type for my Landcruiser and it has been used heaps.
My wife say's I am not completely useless, I can serve as a bad example for others
tasibrett

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 23 Jun 2009 7:09 +0000

The boys I go offroading with occasionally, last time they went out they had a new bloke join them in a mint condition jackaroo that he had just spend 5 grand on fixing and restoring things.....This guys attitude was the right one for offroading and he refusd to take any advice from other blokes there that had done this one particular track......he had all terrains where muddies were needed and after a couple of warnings not to attempt this one steep track, he had a go.....didnt get too far started sliding backwards with wheels turning forwards and ended up rolling it on its side.....

How does this relate to using a hi Lift jack?

they used it with tree trunk protectors and chain/straps to flip him back on his right side up.

I saw the recovery on video, wasnt there in person.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Skog07 on Wed, 24 Jun 2009 6:48 +0000

I actually bought a 60inch 3500kg hilift jack of ebay yesterday. Used it to jack up the plant trailer tonight it lifted it with ease... Fully loaded, excavator and all the attachments.. Impressed..
Used it on the towbar and it lifts the back of the car without any worries. Will have to weld on some lift points later on.
One thing I did want to ask.
Has anyone used a hilift on the ARB bar??? I know the TJM bar has special holes to accept the jack was wondering if the ARB bar holes can be used or a special coupling must be bought??
Was also looking at cutting about 4 inches of the post so it would fit into the tray under the canopy and out of the weather can anyone think of a reason not to do this????
Cheers
Skog
Skog07

Postby cr1pp5 on Wed, 24 Jun 2009 7:50 +0000

if you cut it, you would only lose ya height...SWL shouldnt be affected
R.I.P. The Bogan Truck 14/11/2007 - 08/05/2010
cr1pp5

Postby olcoolone on Wed, 24 Jun 2009 9:05 +0000

Skog, most ARB bullbars have a square hole on each side to attatch a Hilift jack to, the ones that don't have a hole you can buy a removable mount that attatches to the recovery points welded into the bullbar.

The other thing to get is a tyre lift that straps to a tyre mounted to the vehicle so you can lift that wheel only and place stuff under if you become stuck.

It pays to buy a plastic base to help steady the jack or to use in sand.
olcoolone

Postby Skog07 on Wed, 24 Jun 2009 9:27 +0000

Thanks Cripps and Olcoolone.
Yeah might have to cut the jack down to fit comfortably inside the canopy. 4 inches should do the trick. And can hang it off the Rhino rack supports inside the canopy... and keep the C of G down lower....
Had another crazy idea of fitting another swingaway to the LH side and incorporate a jerry can holder much like the Kaymar bars.... Anyway getting back on topic will see how the hilift performs on the bullbar and will see how it also performs on the ARB side rails......
Cheers
Skog.
Skog07

Postby Bull on Thu, 25 Jun 2009 8:38 +0000

What you can do with the "upswept" bumper like on an ARB 'bar is to jack from the round rail above it.
If you look at the pic of the 75 series above you will see what I mean. I do it all the time.
Bull

Postby Gennal on Mon, 22 Oct 2018 5:07 +0000

This is seemingly an old thread, but I'll add my two cents.
I'd carry a Hi-lift Jack & 'normal' winch recovery kit https://mechanicguides.com/best-farm-jacks/ plus a winch extn strap before I'd carry a hand winch & that bloody great lump of winch cable roll!! But a Patrol door is NOT the place to mount it for more than a few weeks. You can swap the brackets to hang it off the INside of your roof rack; or just slide the lift head off the bar, pull the handle out of the lift head, & stash the disassembled parts somewhere easily accessible in the back of the vehicle, or under the middle row of seats (if there's nothing else there & you can readily get it all out if you do get stuck)

For those not in the know, - Hi-lifts aren't meant to be used for tyre changing (altho you might need to use one to lift you vehicle high enough to put a proper 'tyre changing jack' under the vehicle! ;) ) Buuut, you can buy relatively cheap attachments to fit your wheels so you can lift one at a time to pack under it to regain traction; others that fit your bull bar to lift that end; your tow bar receiver hitch will work up the back; & good rock rails or sliders will let you lift one side - giving you places at all 4 corners (wheels) to lift as well as each side & up front & back - meaning you'd have enough lift points to remedy any one bogged or traction less wheel, lift one side to regain traction or un-bog, or move the front or back sideways about 1metre to get out of deep ruts, or even turn the vehicle in its own length (lotta hard work tho!!) So they are phenomenally versatile recovery & 'get moving' aids! And then with the correct attachments you've also got a powerful clamp, a spreader, a bead breaker, a jack, a brace, AND if you want to make winching in any direction with a Hi-lift easier than it already is with just the basic winch recovery kit & a couple of correctly sized shackles, there's even a kit for that!!

You only need to use your Hi-lift for one really stuck or desperate recovery & it pays you back for lugging it around all the rest of the time when you didn't need it!! If you had an electric winch fitted, you wouldn't pull it off the bull bar just cos you haven't used it yet would you? Or not bother taking a snatch strap & shackles along on a wintertime Hi Country trip just cos you didn't get stuck last time? A Hi-lift jack is extremely versatile as a recovery tool and valuable 'insurance' that can help you in sooo many ways it's not funny! So why wouldn't you take your Hi-lift jack along? After all, it's the single most versatile recovery tool you'll ever own, & even if you don't need to use it too often, it's far better insurance than most of the other crap that people do take along!! They don't take much room & they can be hard work, but they'll keep working and work well when most other stuff has either given up the ghost or wouldn't help anyway!
Gennal

Next

Return to General Discussion