INSTALLING Centre Console & Bucket Seat

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

INSTALLING Centre Console & Bucket Seat

Postby herm on Thu, 21 May 2009 9:50 +0000

Hey guys

i am buying a Hilux Single Cab SR 4x4 Diesel Manual, and i am looking at installing the centre console and passenger bucket seat.

The SR SingleCab Manuals only come with the passenger bench seat, and i want to install the centre console and passenger bucket seat, just coz i think it will be more practical and look better too

i have found a couple of wreckers that have got the parts, however i am looking for advice/opinion on what its like to actually install the console and passenger bucket seat.

Is it difficult, what approx timeframe would it take to install ???

AND are all holes i require already there hiding under the vinyl ???

do i need to do anything with Mainroad/QLD Transport; as im changing from 3 seat capacity to 2 seat capacity. do i need to tell them, does it cost any money to get the OK from them, is this easy/hard to achieve

thanks in advance lads

also, i am looking at getting a 2inch lift and some new 16inch mags and 31/32 inch tyres.... is there anywhere in brissy that you guys recommend, can they do lift, mags, tyres in one day ??? how much did lift / mags / tyres cost you blokes
herm

Re: INSTALLING Centre Console & Bucket Seat

Postby rick13 on Thu, 21 May 2009 10:59 +0000

Hi Herm,
I have done the same, well the seat at least anyway as I haven't found the right priced console.
The seat takes about 10 mins to put in, all the holes are there. The only trick one is the left hand rear hole is not open.
The nut is under the floor, so I just bolted the seat in via the other 3 the marked the pos and drill a small pilot hole followed by a larger one exposing the nut underneath.
The seat belt that is there is not the same, so at bthe moment I am using the old bench seat one. But that will be upgraded at some stage as well.

Where did you source your console??

And yes you will need to change the seating capacity from 3 to 2 vai a compilance plate.

Rick
rick13

Postby rodw on Thu, 21 May 2009 11:23 +0000

Ring Vehicle standards Branch at QT and see if you need an engineer to certify the seat change or if you can deal directly with them. To get an engineer to certify the mod, I thought it would cost $85 or so which is what Opposite Lock say it costs to get a fuel tank modded. Pretty straight forward from the same model.

Removing the console is easy, unscrew the gear lever knobs, pull out the handbrake cover, stick your hand in there and pull hard. The whole top of the console comes off and then you can get to the bolts that hold the bottom in.

The best place for tyres in Brissy is Fourbys ( www.fourbys.com.au )on Ipswich Road in the Moorooka Magic Mile. They also do suspension lifts and other stuff.

Other places that could do it all for you (tyres and lift) would be On Track 4WD Moss Street, Slacks Creek or Opposte Lock Springwood on the Service Road just to the south of Moss Street. Also TJM and ARB (who only fit their own suspension that sags) at Beaudesert Road, Cooper Plains. Not sure on the north side, but TJM is on the Bruce Highway and ARB near the airport beside the Gateway Motorway.
rodw

Postby herm on Thu, 21 May 2009 2:47 +0000

hey lads,

RODW: cheers for the reply Rod, however i am going to be "Installing" the console, not removing it, however im sure its the same process but in reverse :)

RICK13: what was the part you said about the seatbelt ? .... doesnt the bucket seat simply take the place of the bench, do i need to acquire a new seat belt as well, ???!!! :? can you please elaborate on the whole process, in steps, of fitting the bucket where the bench seat was. Much appreciated.

yeah i am going to check out Fourbys tomoro, should i mention that www.newhilux.net recommends Fourbys and also that im a member here. ive heard some blokes mention that "Ryan" seems to be good to deal with and looks after ya, is this correct.

Also tomoro im going to see the guys at Duratray in morningside, to order me custom alloy tray.

Also, is Fourbys a good place to get mags/tyres (16inch mags & 31/32 tyres) in terms of price / service

Cheers :D
herm

Postby rodw on Thu, 21 May 2009 3:29 +0000

herm wrote:RODW: cheers for the reply Rod, however i am going to be "Installing" the console, not removing it, however im sure its the same process but in reverse :)

No Worries, Just read what I wrote in revere :lol:

herm wrote:yeah i am going to check out Fourbys tomoro, should i mention that http://www.newhilux.net recommends Fourbys and also that im a member here. ive heard some blokes mention that "Ryan" seems to be good to deal with and looks after ya, is this correct.

Tell him "Crusher" Rod sent you mate. I might be able to screw a discount out of him next time.

herm wrote:hey lads,
Also, is Fourbys a good place to get mags/tyres (16inch mags & 31/32 tyres) in terms of price / service

Yep, They'll look after you for sure. I have bought 3 sets of rims from Ryano so far.
rodw

Postby herm on Thu, 21 May 2009 3:50 +0000

cheers RODW, i will be sure to mention ya tomoro.

i was just wondering what is the ballpark figure on good 31/32 A/T's and some polished alloy mags 16 Inch

i am going to fourbys tomoro, however i am curious as to how much they will be,

coz the missis wants to know how much theyll cost "" BEFORE "" i head there tomoro :D

IN REGARDS TO THE CONSOLE INTSTALL; are all the holes are there under the vinyl, what size holes/bolts will i need.

cheers
herm

Postby rick13 on Sat, 23 May 2009 1:29 +0000

Hi Herm,

The sealt belt for the bench to bucket seat is different, well mine was anyway.
The bench one is wider on the tongue, I have left the old one and the new one attached to the seat there.
Just means there are two buckles on that side, no real drama.

I haven't done the console yet, but I'm sure all the holes will be there. Just not sure about what brackets are under the console.

Rick
rick13

Postby ssdsibes on Sat, 23 May 2009 6:41 +0000

rick13 wrote:Hi Herm,

The sealt belt for the bench to bucket seat is different, well mine was anyway.
The bench one is wider on the tongue, I have left the old one and the new one attached to the seat there.
Just means there are two buckles on that side, no real drama.

I haven't done the console yet, but I'm sure all the holes will be there. Just not sure about what brackets are under the console.

Rick

Hi

The bloke who owned my car prior had put in a set of bucket seats and a console from an auto. He had an aluminium plate over the hole for the auto, so i made one out of mdf and some vinyl. Mine still has the third set of belts tucked under the seat. There is a pic in my shed. If you can get an auto console it will fit with a little work.

Cheers

Sam
ssdsibes

Postby herm on Sat, 23 May 2009 7:17 +0000

hi Sam,

cheers for the info,

I have a plan to get the following:

a SR 4x4 Manual Console or SR5 4x4 Manual Console (pretty much the same console i think).

That way it should all fit exactly, fingers crossed... :D

THEN, all i need to do is get a passenger bucket seat from SR, SR5 .... which shouldnt be too difficult.

Im looking forward to getting me lux in 2 weeks or so
herm

Postby WinM70 on Tue, 02 Nov 2010 10:21 +0000

I know I'm a little late on this one :D but am thinking of doing the same, the middle bit is useless unless the person intending on sitting there weighs 30kgs! Has anyone else done this mod since? Any hassles? Engineers cert required in NSW?
Thanks in advance,

Lee.
Keeping Australia beautiful, one feral at a time.
WinM70

Postby glide3 on Thu, 22 Sep 2011 2:13 +0000

where are some good wreckers to get a seat from in NSW i cant find any forms hours of searches on google.
and lee if you still want to know you dont need an engineers cert you just need to notify the rta, as the hilux also come out with 2 seats. so its already been engineered.
2007 Hilux SR 4x2
4 way active stereo
19's
JAG IRS (in the works)

For sale:
ECB nudgebar to suit 2005+
Single cab tub lining
glide3

Postby rick13 on Thu, 22 Sep 2011 2:49 +0000

I got my console from a wreckers in melbourne and the seat off ebay. I think ebay had some seats for sale the other week, just keep an eye out.
rick13

Postby Spesh916 on Mon, 30 May 2016 7:29 +0000

I'm a bit late to the party i know but in the experience of the consoles you blokes put in will one from a dual cab fit the single cab?
Spesh916

Postby Hiluxharry on Mon, 14 Jan 2019 5:40 +0000

Hello all, Has anybody done this upgrade, seatbelt & all. I've bought the seat & console & now found out the seatbelt is different. I'm now looking at buying a extra/dual cab seatbelt, but from pics i can see that the extra/dualcab belt bolts to a slide. The single cab one is fixed. Can anybody tell me if the extra/dual cab seatbelt will bolt in ok, or is there another solution please. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hiluxharry

Postby Hiluxharry on Mon, 14 Jan 2019 5:41 +0000

Hello all, Has anybody done this upgrade, seatbelt & all. I've bought the seat & console & now found out the seatbelt is different. I'm now looking at buying a extra/dual cab seatbelt, but from pics i can seethat the extra/dualcab belt bolts to a slide. The single cab one is fixed. Can anybody tell me if the extra/dual cab seatbelt will bolt in ok, or is there another solution please. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hiluxharry

Return to General Discussion