kun26 - help mounting sports bar and hard lid

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

kun26 - help mounting sports bar and hard lid

Postby BIG BROWN SHARK on Tue, 03 Oct 2023 8:18 +0000

g'day,

New here. Im looking for advice for KUN26 SR5. Replacing a canopy with a factory 3 piece hard and lid sports bar. Couple of issues im having is:

It appears originally the tub liner would be trimmed and a black bar (approx 50x50) is mounted to the front of the tub, where the hinges for the lid are riveted too. Rather than trim the liner, ive used an aluminium fencing rail which attached to the tub the overlal dimensions are the same and i have the lid sitting in place. All good there.

However, i now have 2 issues.

The sports bar mounting point at the front of the tub, is 2x20mm holes wihtout a thread. The mounting holes a little further back have an m8 thread. I reckon theres a plate with nutserts or something im missing between the sports bar and tub. What can i do here?

The second, is the hard lid corner pieces dont cover the front edge of the tub and appear to need trimming.

Is this normal?
BIG BROWN SHARK

Re: kun26 - help mounting sports bar and hard lid

Postby Rob_Wood on Tue, 03 Oct 2023 1:50 +0000

Some pics of the issues would be helpful?
Without pics, all I can suggest is to manufacture your own "cover-up" flaps out of some neoprene sheet rubber (or something like this).
Rob_Wood

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 04 Oct 2023 5:25 +0000

G'day BBS, the liner is the problem... The black bar should be fitted to the front of the tub, trim the liner as it will move the lid further rearwards. This also causes the corner pieces to be further back. Yes you will need some nuts or nut plates for the bar fitments, the nutsert is probably left over from the canopy fitment. I would trim the liner back so I can fit a plate or nuts under the edge of the tub.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby BIG BROWN SHARK on Fri, 06 Oct 2023 8:42 +0000

Gipsy wrote:G'day BBS, the liner is the problem... The black bar should be fitted to the front of the tub, trim the liner as it will move the lid further rearwards. This also causes the corner pieces to be further back. Yes you will need some nuts or nut plates for the bar fitments, the nutsert is probably left over from the canopy fitment. I would trim the liner back so I can fit a plate or nuts under the edge of the tub.

Thanks buddy, as i suspected then. I traditionally ave used fords and their lids are simple and transferable, being theres a tongue mounted to the lid, which slots into a backet with is screwed to the lip at the front of the tub.
BIG BROWN SHARK

Postby Gipsy on Sat, 07 Oct 2023 5:22 +0000

Same deal for the hilux. ;)
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Return to General Discussion