KUN26 Single Cab Hand Brake Cables too Short!

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

KUN26 Single Cab Hand Brake Cables too Short!

Postby sosilboy on Sat, 03 Sep 2022 10:09 +0000

So I've put some heavy duty leaf springs in my single cab, to cope with canopy and roof top tent, only to find that the hand brake cables that run along the leaf packs, to a junction just behind the drivers side of the cab, are under some serious stress. I can only imagine them breaking if I were to go off road. Has anyone found a solution to this? It's mainly the drivers side on, as it's shorter, the passenger one has a bit more play, but I'm not able to get the original mounts in place at all. TIA
sosilboy

Re: KUN26 Single Cab Hand Brake Cables too Short!

Postby Rob_Wood on Sat, 03 Sep 2022 2:45 +0000

sosilboy wrote:So I've put some heavy duty leaf springs in my single cab, to cope with canopy and roof top tent, only to find that the hand brake cables that run along the leaf packs, to a junction just behind the drivers side of the cab, are under some serious stress. I can only imagine them breaking if I were to go off road. Has anyone found a solution to this? It's mainly the drivers side on, as it's shorter, the passenger one has a bit more play, but I'm not able to get the original mounts in place at all. TIA

"Cables that run along the leaf packs" is a statement that concerns me deeply to begin with. Hand brake cable should run along chassis rails & cross members and then across the diff housing to the hubs. If this is not the case I'd be getting someone in the know to offer an opinion at the very least. Once you've got that sorted, then buying a slightly longer cable to cope with changes to suspension etc should be fairly easy. I don't believe it's a common thing, but it should still be quite easy. Just putting extra leaves in the pack should NOT require a longer hand brake cable.
Rob_Wood

Postby sosilboy on Thu, 08 Sep 2022 1:58 +0000

There's is literally a bracket that bolts to the side of the leaf pack. Are you thinking of the same thing I am? I'm not talking about the hydraulic brake lines. I'm talking about the sheetfed cable.
Attaches to the back of the drum with two bolts, runs past the bracket on the leaf pack, to the chassis, then up and over to the actuator.
sosilboy

Postby hiluxxury on Thu, 08 Sep 2022 6:08 +0000

Mate, you are correct - they run along the leaf pack.

You may have to loosen the cable at the junction under the car before the cable goes into the cab (I cant remember where the point to loosen it is).

I dont remember is ever being reported as a problem before.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby Rob_Wood on Thu, 08 Sep 2022 6:22 +0000

The number of fallen branches would have me concerned just driving around the paddock at home with that design. Maybe a few pics would help to alleviate my concerns if it's ok to ask?
Rob_Wood

Return to General Discussion