Hilux Lifespan and Modifications

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Hilux Lifespan and Modifications

Postby Woodman-07 on Wed, 17 Aug 2022 10:46 +0000

Hi All,

Probably a matter of opinion really but wondering what peoples thoughts are on spending money to put on a canopy, bull bar, spot lights and winch on a 2011 Hilux with ~280,000km on it? (Dual cab, 4x4 diesel)

Will be using it to get out on hunting trips and not really in a position to spend a heap on a new/newer vehicle at this stage, but also feels like maybe not the best idea to spend all the money on modifications to a vehicle of that age. It's currently stock.

I guess it's also relevant that I work from home and live regionally so do bugger all ks these days.
Woodman-07

Re: Hilux Lifespan and Modifications

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 17 Aug 2022 2:29 +0000

Hey, try finding second hand parts rather than new. On a vehicle of that era there are plenty of 2nd hand canopies for example. I bought a 2nd hand hard lid in silver planning to paint it white but it looks so good I kept it silver. Saved heaps over the cost of new and even more by not painting it. Bullbars are also easy to get 2nd hand.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Woodman-07 on Wed, 17 Aug 2022 6:00 +0000

Yeah that's true. Kinda obvious but hadn't really considered that path this time round.

With my last Hilux i kept an eye out for second hand ARB canopies for ages but they all seemed to be selling for ~$2k and a new one is $2600 ish so just didn't seem worth the hassle.

The main concern is just that sinking more cash in now means committing to it for a while yet so you'd want it to last and not start costing a shit tone in maintenance as parts start reaching end of life.

But you're right. If I can get second hand parts at good prices, it shouldn't be too bad.
Woodman-07

Postby ptrl1600 on Wed, 17 Aug 2022 6:26 +0000

I was in a similar situation a few years ago, so for me I had to consider a couple of things. I bought second hand because I wouldn’t want to take a new car into some of the areas that I go hunting and fishing in, knowing that it would occasionally receive a few scratches and dents. Of coarse it would be great if a standard Hilux would do and go what and where we wanted it to, but I soon learnt that wasn’t the case, so I had to modify it to the stage where it would. Unfortunately for me I didn’t know when to stop, but I ended up with a very capable car that has no problems getting into some of the more difficult areas.
So I guess the thing to consider is how capable do you need you’re Hilux to be so that you can safely get into the places that you need to go to and enjoy your time there without worrying about how your going to get in and out without doing any damage to the vehicle. For me a heavy duty steel front bar was a must have and a 2” front suspension lift, 32” tyres and a front diff locker was a enough to accomplish the ability to go where I needed to.
Even with 280K on the clock, you should have plenty left if the car was maintained well and provided everything else is in reasonable condition, a few simple mods should dramatically improve the cars capability.
ptrl1600

Postby Gipsy on Thu, 18 Aug 2022 6:37 +0000

280k is only half worn :D you could expect over 500k if you look after it. Many of the upgrades are the worn bits being replaced upmarket. Lots of life in the old girl yet and just consider the extra cost of a new one with scratches down the sides. ;)

Remember... The unbreakable hilux :D
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Woodman-07 on Thu, 18 Aug 2022 9:08 +0000

ptrl1600 wrote: ...Unfortunately for me I didn’t know when to stop...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I think this is a common problem.. I have this problem with fishing gear. Fortunately 'slightly' less expensive than vehicle upgrades. ... well now i'm looking at a hobie PA 360: @ $8k maybe not cheaper..

Gipsy wrote:280k is only half worn :D you could expect over 500k if you look after it. ..

Good to hear someone say that. I read somewhere else around 300 was getting long in the tooth, but that just struck me a little young.

Alright. Well thanks guys. That makes me feel more comfortable dropping a bit of cash on the mods.
Woodman-07

Postby Gipsy on Thu, 18 Aug 2022 12:08 +0000

Even a new crate engine would be much cheaper than buying a new one
Gipsy

Return to General Discussion