Strange squealing noise

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Strange squealing noise

Postby bluehilux on Fri, 20 May 2022 2:19 +0000

Hi all,

It's been years since I've been on here, and my 2012 Hilux now has about 250k on the clock.

I've got some really weird noise happening, sound like a cross between a bearing and a belt. Like a squeal that starts and stops. It can be on start up or when I drive and comes and goes.

I've taken to Toyota for a service and got them to fit a new serpentine belt and check all the pulleys. It got a bit worse and I doubted them, so I took it into my favorite auto spark because I was worried it might be the AC compressor. He also said all the idlers/alternator/ac were all good, but he said the noise is coming from under the car and stops if you push the exhaust pipe a little.

I've started it up, heard the noise and got down on the drivers side underneath. It was louder there, and when I just bumped the exhaust with the palm of my hand it stopped.

What would I be looking for here?? A hanger, bracket or joint of some sort? This is strange.

Cheers for any advice or help in advance.
bluehilux

Re: Strange squealing noise

Postby Rob_Wood on Fri, 20 May 2022 7:52 +0000

Just go over the whole exhaust thoroughly from manifold to outlet. If there's something obvious you should find it.
Rob_Wood

Postby hiluxxury on Mon, 23 May 2022 6:27 +0000

Could be the inner CV seal on your hub. Spray a light be of lube in there to see if it makes any difference.

There are a few threads here on the problem.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby bluehilux on Thu, 26 May 2022 10:10 +0000

Can't be the CV as it does it while parked and idling. I did have a leaking CV seal done on the passenger side done recently, but the noise was there before and after that. If I bump the exhaust with my hand it will stop, and revving it at idle can make it start.

It does appear to be the exhaust flange in the wheel arch area on the drivers side. The one with 2 compression springs on the bolts.

When I searched a bit I found it was reasonably common in Prado's, and there were a few posts about it on Pradopoint forum. They were spraying it with CRC and it was going away, but that seems a temporary fix.

I've sprayed a bit of thread penetrating oil on the bolts and the flange itself, and was thinking of loosening then torquing the bolts again, but I'm not sure they can be torqued with the spring setup they use. I'm guessing they don't want the spring bottomed out. I'm wondering if nipping both bolts up a quarter turn might help.

**EDIT**

Just to help anyone else out there, I went down to an exhaust shop today and the bloke there knew all about it. Said it's the spring loaded exhaust flange mentioned above and common in the Hilux/Prado D4D. Reckoned it was difficult to fix, but to start with a couple of hardened washers between the bolt and spring to tighten the joint a bit. You can't tighten the bolts anymore, as the bottom out in the female thread and the spring provides the tension. He said that aftermarket exhaust removed that joint altogether, but I'm not doing that.

I found that spraying it with the oil I had stopped it heaps, but I might just order a new gasket and springs and see if I can't get it fixed better.
bluehilux

Postby Gipsy on Thu, 26 May 2022 2:33 +0000

Yes the aftermarket exhaust eliminated that problem, but it appears the spring/washer and flange combination produces the noise you describe as they rub against each other.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby SEJ GLX-R on Fri, 27 May 2022 4:45 +0000

Try some Copper Eze on the bolts, washers and springs. That should shut it up.
SEJ GLX-R

Postby hiluxxury on Fri, 27 May 2022 1:40 +0000

Might be just one of those things you just live with. My old lux has heaps of character.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby Rob_Wood on Fri, 27 May 2022 11:38 +0000

SEJ GLX-R wrote:Try some Copper Eze on the bolts, washers and springs. That should shut it up.

Yeah, might work for a while, just be careful you're not introducing an electrolysis situation into your vehicle.
Rob_Wood

Postby SEJ GLX-R on Sat, 28 May 2022 5:34 +0000

Rob_Wood wrote:Yeah, might work for a while, just be careful you're not introducing an electrolysis situation into your vehicle.

Really?

Please explain how that could happen in this situation.
SEJ GLX-R

Postby Rob_Wood on Sat, 28 May 2022 11:21 +0000

SEJ GLX-R wrote:
Rob_Wood wrote:Yeah, might work for a while, just be careful you're not introducing an electrolysis situation into your vehicle.

Really?

Please explain how that could happen in this situation.

Dis-similar metals and moisture creates electrolysis. "SOME" lubricants have metals in them, like Coppercote, Graphite or Zinc. Using the wrong lube in the wrong place and you get electrolysis reactions.
Rob_Wood

Postby SEJ GLX-R on Sun, 29 May 2022 5:03 +0000

Rob_Wood wrote:Dis-similar metals and moisture creates electrolysis. "SOME" lubricants have metals in them, like Coppercote, Graphite or Zinc. Using the wrong lube in the wrong place and you get electrolysis reactions.

Oh, I see now, thanks.

Do you mean galvanic corrosion?

I doubt the exhaust bolts will retain enough moisture for that to be a problem.

Don’t forget an engine assembly is also made up of a lot of dissimilar metals.

Penrite wrote:APPLICATION

Copper Eze is used to coat flanges, threads, nuts, bolts that are subject to corrosion or seizure etc. prior to assembly, to enable easy disassembly for service or replacement. It is also ideal for exhaust manifold studs, exhaust clamps, turbocharger connections, spark plug threads and in drum and disc brake assemblies. It can stop brake squeaking if applied to the back of disc brake pads and is ideal for disc brake calliper sliding pins.

Copper Eze may be used in all types of industries including corrosive marine and mining environments as well as the petroleum (exploration, refining) industry.

Copper Eze is ideal for boat trailer wheel studs to stop them rusting and seizing. It can be used on external hinges, flanges, screws, nuts & bolts to prevent seizure and corrosion in automotive, marine, industrial, agricultural and general domestic environments.

Copper Eze may be used at all temperatures from sub-zero to 1093°C.
SEJ GLX-R

Postby bluehilux on Sat, 04 Jun 2022 5:01 +0000

I'm just going to order a new gasket, bolts and springs from Toyota. It's certainly not a noise I plan to live with.

In the meantime, spraying it with Inox when cold seems to shut it up for a couple of days.
bluehilux

Postby Gipsy on Sun, 05 Jun 2022 6:42 +0000

"Do you mean galvanic corrosion?"

Galvanic corrosion is an electrochemical process in which one metal corrodes preferentially when it is in electrical contact with another, in the presence of an electrolyte. A similar galvanic reaction is exploited in primary cells to generate a useful electrical voltage to power portable devices. Wikipedia

So yes it is galvanic, normally in the presence of two dissimilar metals, like when a steel beam is 'galvanised' using Zinc in the presence of an electrical current. But that is what 'copper eeze ' is for, to seperate the metals with a lubricant and insulation against the metals.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Rob_Wood on Mon, 06 Jun 2022 6:37 +0000

Gipsy wrote:"Do you mean galvanic corrosion?"

Galvanic corrosion is an electrochemical process in which one metal corrodes preferentially when it is in electrical contact with another, in the presence of an electrolyte. A similar galvanic reaction is exploited in primary cells to generate a useful electrical voltage to power portable devices. Wikipedia

So yes it is galvanic, normally in the presence of two dissimilar metals, like when a steel beam is 'galvanised' using Zinc in the presence of an electrical current. But that is what 'copper eeze ' is for, to seperate the metals with a lubricant and insulation against the metals.

This was 20 something years ago, but was copper the one you don't use in an aluminium boat? I know a block of zinc is used as a sacrifical anode in aluminium boats, but there was a fairly basic and common metal that you shouldn't user in an aluminium boat and I kinda feel it might have been copper? This was why I raise a slight concern over the use of "Copper Eaze". Although there's (usually) no aluminium in an exhaust system. There is plenty of alloy in, around and under a vehicle. Just suggesting "cautious use" and don't go spreading it everywhere.
Rob_Wood

Postby thong on Mon, 01 Aug 2022 2:27 +0000

This noise happens when the exhaust flange gasket gets old. It compresses and wears a bit, and the flanges rub making a squealing noise. No big rush to fix. You have to replace this thick metal/graphite ring gasket plus springs with new toyota parts. You can save a few $ by reusing old bolts. The old ring gasket can be hard to remove and exhaust flange surfaces may need cleanup with wire brush or brass wire wheel in a drill. Bolts are fully tightened down hard on the springs. The spring compression distance is set by the special bolt flange between the bolt shank and the thread. Make sure bolt flanges are seated against the exhaust flange threads. It was about two hours work on my 08 Prado, which I have had since new. Use eye protection for this fun work under the vehicle.
thong

Return to General Discussion