Tyre Replacement Help - One tyre only???

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Tyre Replacement Help - One tyre only???

Postby Skrewdriver on Sat, 23 Apr 2022 1:08 +0000

Hello,

I would like to get peoples opinions on a predicament I am in.

I was recently driving back from Wagga Wagga back to Newcastle, and the wheel bearing failed on the RHF of my 2012 SR5. It collapsed, in the process, it took out the CV shaft, brakes, ABS sensor and damaged the tyre, which now needs replacing.

My question is, as far as the tyre goes, which of the following should I do, or what you do if you were in my situation:

Replace the one tyre? The other tyres are about 7 months old, of the top of my head I do not remember exactly at what kilometers they were replaced?
Buy two new tyres and then have an odd wearing set of tyres?
Cut my loses, put a fresh set of A/T rubber on, and tyre and sell the three existing tyres that are OK for cheap to try and recover some cash?
Any sensible advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Peter
"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
George Santayana

E-Mail: pbialasinski@bigpond.com
Phone: (0407) 237723
Skrewdriver

Re: Tyre Replacement Help - One tyre only???

Postby Gipsy on Sat, 23 Apr 2022 2:57 +0000

Peter, sorry to hear your problems but I would just replace the damaged tyre with a new one and save your dollars.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Rob_Wood on Sat, 23 Apr 2022 7:01 +0000

I travelled to Mudgee and back a few years ago and did three flats on the trip. I just bought second hand tyres at whatever local tyre joint I could find to get me home. Once home I bought a full set of more reliable rubber from a known and trusted supplier. I should also point out however that I "hate with a passion" the impost of being hit for 4 tyres at one time. I'd really like to stagger my tyres purchases so that I buy 2 tyres one year and the other 2 on an alternate year. Soften the blow so to speak.
Where are you located? If they're 15" or 16" then I might be interested in 2 of them of you chose to go down that path. :) :) :)

<Edit> Just noticed "Weston". Kempsey here, not out of the realms of possibility if there's good tread on them. Send me a PM if you're interested.
Rob_Wood

Postby dave g on Sat, 23 Apr 2022 11:01 +0000

I would put on 2 tyres and put the good one on the spare
dave g

Postby bob14hilux on Wed, 27 Apr 2022 5:33 +0000

I would just replace the one tyre.

As far as uneven wear that you mentioned, you wouldn't even think twice about replacing a half worn punctured tyre with the unused spare. I don't think the difference is enough to be a concern.
Bob

Build thread viewtopic.php?f=41&t=23413

If beer and women are not the answer then you are asking the wrong question
bob14hilux

Return to General Discussion