Faint squeak in steering column?

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Faint squeak in steering column?

Postby wildthing on Fri, 01 Apr 2022 7:56 +0000

Hi,
I've noticed a faint squeak which appears to be coming from the steering column - not constant, but occurs when I am turning left or right to a reasonable degree.
Only hear it at low speeds (though maybe engine noise covers it at highway speeds).
Any thoughts, or is my imagination running away with me?
Thanks
wildthing

Re: Faint squeak in steering column?

Postby Rob_Wood on Sun, 03 Apr 2022 12:49 +0000

I used to get a faint echo from the nut holding the wheel, but then after a while someone said I should check out the CV joints. Is yours a 4WD? Maybe check the CVs?
Rob_Wood

Postby Gipsy on Mon, 04 Apr 2022 6:22 +0000

Well Rob that's to be expected... A faint echo from the nut holding the wheel :lol: :lol: ;)
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby wildthing on Mon, 04 Apr 2022 3:13 +0000

Thanks Rob, yes, 4WD. Did check the CVs and removed some dust and grit from our last trip, but maybe further investigation warranted .... though sound seems to be inside the car near the steering wheel column (even if the nut holding the wheel sits perfectly still :lol: )
wildthing

Postby Rob_Wood on Wed, 06 Apr 2022 1:20 +0000

wildthing wrote:Thanks Rob, yes, 4WD. Did check the CVs and removed some dust and grit from our last trip, but maybe further investigation warranted .... though sound seems to be inside the car near the steering wheel column (even if the nut holding the wheel sits perfectly still :lol: )

Although possible, it's unlikely to be the top bearing. More likely some cowling / shrouding plastic might be rubbing on something. I had a kombi years ago and the blinker mechanism shat itself and made noises when turning the wheel. Couldn't get a straight replacement straight away so threw in a two way toggle switch for the blinkers, removing the old mechanism removed the noise and all I had to do was remember to turn the blinkers off every time. Quite annoying after a while. Sometimes even made the nut holding the wheel make grumbling and groaning noises.
:)
Rob_Wood

Return to General Discussion