**** WARNING KING WHEELS WARNING ***

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Re: **** WARNING KING WHEELS WARNING ***

Postby dute on Wed, 07 Dec 2011 4:08 +0000

Now after reading all this thread I know how some of you feel,

not to long ago when I was looking for a set of steel rims for my mud tyres, I found on ebay a cheap set of rims and (boy was that the wrong thing ot do) some very cheap no name brand. took them back real quick. with a full refund.

So now I have a set of 16x8 king rims in black that I run my mud tyres on, I got them a few months ago and was advised by the tyres dealer that there was a very bad batch of rims on the market back in 2009, I had all my rims checked before fitting my new Silverstones, And from what I seen they were all very round and balanced.

The dealer even went as far to put it in writing that If I was not happy he would give me full refund so about 2000k later (note: these are not my every day drive tyres) I'm very happy. . . . 8-)
FCCW

inside Dute's black hole

"Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill"
dute

Postby lplat3s on Thu, 08 Dec 2011 10:22 +0000

haha dynamic and king's are made by the same factory. so you can bag them both equally!!! and if your running mud tyres well sad part of life is there designed for off road use not for the road. the list is long for uneven wear and not one sole reason. and lets face it the new hilux in petrol or deisel goes like a rocket so u corner faster accelerate harder brake harder etc uneven wear is a new issue for tyre manufactures have a tough time ahead..
Limited knowledge is far more dangerous, then no knowledge at all!!
lplat3s

Postby dans hilux on Thu, 08 Dec 2011 1:37 +0000

Now why didnt i see this thread before i went out and got the king rims??? (search,search,search..... :lol: )
I have the 15x7 kings rims, strangely the have a mind of their own, at 100kph some days their fine, others they shake like hell. Hit 120kph its all smooth from there.
Due for new rubbers soon.....AND RIMS!!!! :lol: :lol:
I dont speak fluent in idiot.......Speak slowly and clearly!!!
dans hilux

Postby lplat3s on Thu, 08 Dec 2011 2:11 +0000

dans hilux wrote:Now why didnt i see this thread before i went out and got the king rims??? (search,search,search..... :lol: )
I have the 15x7 kings rims, strangely the have a mind of their own, at 100kph some days their fine, others they shake like hell. Hit 120kph its all smooth from there.

Mate if your rims are out of round they will shake all the time!!!

sounds like your tyres, if there low in tread or just really old could be the tread lifting get checked sooner then later.
Limited knowledge is far more dangerous, then no knowledge at all!!
lplat3s

Postby dans hilux on Fri, 09 Dec 2011 2:30 +0000

lplat3s wrote:
dans hilux wrote:Now why didnt i see this thread before i went out and got the king rims??? (search,search,search..... :lol: )

Mate if your rims are out of round they will shake all the time!!!

sounds like your tyres, if there low in tread or just really old could be the tread lifting get checked sooner then later.

Good year wranglers dura tracs- tyres have approximately 50% tread left,all round even wear. Running 36psi in the front and 38psi in the rears. Extra in the rears for lugging around tradesman trailer.
I dont speak fluent in idiot.......Speak slowly and clearly!!!
dans hilux

Postby justfishn1 on Tue, 22 Jan 2013 7:09 +0000

Been a while since posting on here but I too have had all sorts of dramas with kings. This time with alloys. Had them originally fitted to some kuhmo sat in 265/75 16 which were getting ready for replacement so thought that might be why the vibration. Anyway after 1 month went back to dealer who advised it was the tyres. I was after some bfg at and after a huge wrap from the dealer was advised the cooper st maxx was the way to go. He gave me a great price so I went with that option. After driving out I hit the freeway and thought all of my wheel nuts were loose. Took it back the next day and stated about the vibration. Was told they would look at it the following day but would need the car for the whole day.
Was told was fixed, they also new I was going to Broome in 3 days time. Took it out and no difference. Took it back next day as they were closed. They got cooper to come out as they stated it was the tyres. Cooper gave me a new spare. I thought it was strange as the kuhmo a did it as well. As soon as I mentioned this they got on the defensive stating it could not be the wheels etc etc. anyway another 2 days of trying to get it fixed which included putting truck balancing bags in the tyres we did the trip, chewed the tyres on the outsides of the tyres. Took it back and they said it was down to tyre pressures to which I advised em that I hadn't touched them as we only did black top driving. 6 months later still no result and coming to a stage where the tyres will need to be replaced in the next 20k due to uneven wear. I even had my front struts and springs replaced just to see if that was a problem. Even with konis it is still the same. I now would only ever recommend Aussie made alloys and steel wheels.
It's the old saying if it seems to good to be true, it probably is.
justfishn1

Postby Hellbound on Tue, 22 Jan 2013 8:42 +0000

Far out, youd think in the year 2013 that wheel manufacturers could make something perfectly round - seems not, what the hell!
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Postby timbo844 on Sat, 06 Jul 2013 11:46 +0000

Hey guys just reading this post after it was suggested that I do a search on it.
I bought maxis all terrain tyres 245/70/16 with 16x8 king wheels. Between 80kph and 120kph I am getting bad horrible vibrations through the car. vibrations come through accellerator, the seat and through the gearbox and gearstick. I have put originals back on and it goes away. Are these the exact issues that you have all had. I note that this thread started some time ago. I have been offered a road tyre but after reading this thread I think its the wheels. I tried two stock wheels on front and back keeping 2 x king wheels on the vehicle all the time and the vibration stayed. Vibration went away with stock rims and tyres.

do any of you have any further input? any other recent cases of wheels being out of round?
timbo844

Postby Richolux150 on Sun, 07 Jul 2013 8:24 +0000

Hi Guys
I have had big trouble with Toyota service balancing my alloys, they through the lead the first time you get to highway speed.
They appear to stick the weights to dirty rims which obviously doesn't work.
Cheers Richo :ugeek:
Cheers Richo
If cat turds were Gold nuggets, I'd be the richest bloke on the block... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Richolux150

Postby scottsr20 on Sun, 07 Jul 2013 9:00 +0000

I have personally seen a king rim get pushed out of round putting a tyre on. Wish Id taken pics now. A mate was getting some s/hand bfgs put on some new king steelies and one took lots to balance. They figured it was the rim so swapped to another. Checked it for round first(was pretty good) but once the tyre went on-same problem! Took the tyre off and sure enough the rim was about 6mm out of round on the outer lip! If u can do this on the tyre machine how long can it last off road? Mate paid the extra for some roh sunnies and they all balanced fine.
scottsr20

Postby ozo64 on Tue, 25 Mar 2014 5:09 +0000

I had a set of King wheels on my hilux for about 6 weeks. Went back to the seller twice(Jax Quickfit Townsville) as I was getting a shudder through the steering wheel like wheels out of balance. In actual fact they were probably going out of shape (buckling/bending). My second trip back to the seller, the guy I was dealing with said lets get rid of them. I then stated originally I wanted ROH's but they had none in stock (hence the King wheels). They ordered the ROH's, fitted them (a swap over, no cost to me) , Ive had no problems.
ozo64

Postby Torsion on Thu, 27 Mar 2014 7:56 +0000

Wow, I posted this up back in 2009 - 5 years ago.
I still remember my personal phone call to the "man" at King Wheels head office Australia telling me to get stuffed, my problem had nothing to do with King Rims - look at peoples reports……. speaks for itself :o
Torsion

Postby brett.k on Sat, 12 Jul 2014 1:25 +0000

Hi all
Im getting a very similar problem, bought new set of 16x7 dynamics wrapped in General Grabber A/T's. The paint finish on the steel rims was average ( I don't think this is the problem but I thought maybe a good brand of rim would have a better finish). These are really my offroad tyres so when I go away they get put on. Took them for a trip away which was about 600k's, no problem very happy, put em in the shed laying down on a flat timber board then put them back on again in the same position from before. Drove most of the week for work and put up with a steering wheel shudder over 80kph. took them to a place that deals with 4x4 offroad tyres to check balance. They said the rims/tyres were WAY out of balance, about 350gm's, and when I checked the weights I noticed they are in a different spot on the rim. Ok went to go away this weekend with wheels fixed and noticed again after about 80kph they tend to shudder again and even worse on rough bitumen roads. So I didn't go away, not going to put up with shuddering steering wheel. Next week if I get time will take back to tyre shop and see if they can check balance again. Is it my tyres or the rims.
brett.k

Postby Torsion on Sat, 12 Jul 2014 6:01 +0000

The only real way to tell if the rim is out of round - the tyre needs to come off and the rim checked on the balancer - it will than answer your question.
The shit you have to go through with this :evil:
Torsion

Postby 07luxyTD on Sat, 12 Jul 2014 10:14 +0000

Or you can lift the truck up and put a dial indicator on the inside of the rim
"Lucky you weren't cut off by my stihl"

My build thread viewtopic.php?f=41&t=13794
My Landcruiser Build http://www.newlandcruiser.net/phpbb/vie ... 90&start=0
07luxyTD

Postby Dewbs on Sun, 13 Jul 2014 7:06 +0000

I have just glanced through this thread and it has helped me make a firm decision on my next set of rims, I don't think I want to risk a set of steel rims, I think I'll put on a set of prado 120 rims, thanks everyone for sharing your experiences
Dewbs

Postby Dewbs on Sun, 13 Jul 2014 7:06 +0000

I have just glanced through this thread and it has helped me make a firm decision on my next set of rims, I don't think I want to risk a set of steel rims, I think I'll put on a set of prado 120 rims, thanks everyone for sharing your experiences
Dewbs

Postby J.C on Sun, 13 Jul 2014 10:00 +0000

I bought 4 king rims a few years ago. Two had holes in them, only the paint stopped them leaking. Eventually the paint gave way. One was replaced under warranty and the other, I welded up as it was out of warranty. I now have a vibration in one wheel so I may have this problem as well. :x
J.C

Postby brett.k on Sun, 13 Jul 2014 6:15 +0000

I rotated my tyres this morning putting the rears on front and seeing if there was a shudder on the steering, well no shudder so I guess that leaves two tyres that could be out of round. Taking a close look at my rims im figuring only one is at fault so tomorrow will go to tyre shop and get them to check. I wonder how many other people are driving around with any brand rim that is out of round.. I may make it the second spare if it is faulty.
brett.k

Postby Beacon Hill Ben on Mon, 27 Oct 2014 1:39 +0000

I had King wheels on my Prado and I had vibrations at about 80Km/h. Glad I found this tread, not buying Kings again. Also, the local tyre shop in Brookvale that sold me those rims, they don't sell Kings anymore. And another shop told me they don't sell Kings anymore as "they had balancing problems with Kings".

Go figure...
2014 SR Dual-Cab. Rubber mat in the tray and LED interior lights...
Beacon Hill Ben

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion