**** WARNING KING WHEELS WARNING ***

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

**** WARNING KING WHEELS WARNING ***

Postby Torsion on Wed, 11 Mar 2009 4:35 +0000

Posting this to make other aware of KING WHEELS Australia not taking reponsibilty of their rims "out of round / buckle" .

I have a set of 16x7 Steel King rims purchased new in Feb 2008 fitted with goodyear MTR's on a 2008 Toyota Hilux. For the past 12 months I have persevered with un-even tyre wear and balancing problems - Now I have Had Enough.....
3 out of 4 rims on my truck have been proven to be out of shape / round / buckle.

A king Wheel rim technician (possibly he was a sales rep?) attended the Beaurepairs store where pruchased. All rims and tires were stripped, the rims were rotated on the balancing machine to show any bounce (lat and long). 3 out of the 4 rims were clearly visibly out of round.
According to King Wheels the King Wheels "Acceptable Variance or Tolerance" for movement (out of round) is 4mm.

The AUSTRALIAN STANDARDS for this "Acceptable Variance or Tolerance" for rim movement (lat and long) is 1.5mm.

The Managing Director of King Wheels Australia (he was aware of the matter), will not warrant my rims as;
1. King Wheels is the largest distributor of steel wheels in Australia,
2. They have never had a claim for such a thing in the past,
3. Steel rims are designed to absorb impact and go slightly out of shape,
4. Off Road tyres not good for on road use
5. King Wheels Tolerance Allowance for lat and long movement is 4mm

What a croc of shit.......

KING WHEEL WARRANTY -
12 month paint warranty
LIFETIME STRUCTURAL warranty

The rims on my truck are in as new condition. no marks, no paint off, no impact damage.

Department of fair trading - here I come.
Torsion

Re: **** WARNING KING WHEELS WARNING ***

Postby KTM525EXC on Wed, 11 Mar 2009 4:50 +0000

hey torsion

thats bull s#$t 4mm at 100kph would feel like square wheels lol
good luck with consumer affairs hope all goes well
Troy
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby Quinny34 on Wed, 11 Mar 2009 4:53 +0000

Thats BS.... I definately wont be a getting a set of these...

Have ordered the Dynamic Sunny's in a 16x8...
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby camwill69 on Wed, 11 Mar 2009 5:08 +0000

Pitty their is no e-mail address on their web site as we could all give them a roasting. That is poor service and thanks for advising us of poor service from this supplier.

They sell wheels but have no nuts.

Regards,
Camwill69
camwill69

Postby oldrev on Wed, 11 Mar 2009 5:23 +0000

Torsion,
i have the same size ROH rims that have done nearly 20,000 k's and they are the same as fitted not a problem@ all
ken
oldrev

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 11 Mar 2009 6:58 +0000

Bugger, that aint good at all.

My Dynamic 16x8's havent been a problem at all.... Im rapt so far with them.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby davis.16 on Wed, 11 Mar 2009 7:09 +0000

take it to a current affair they will blow it way out of proportion and ul get a free set of rims to say sorry.....

Just my thought cheers Sam
Yes this is my ute...... No i won't help you move house.
davis.16

Postby Brookster on Wed, 11 Mar 2009 8:04 +0000

It backs up what I was told when I enquired at my local tyrepower about steel versus alloy; the owner of the business (and he knows his stuff) reckons that many steel aftermarket rims aren't worth the punt. He questioned their quality including their roundness (or out-of-roundness), and recommended ROH alloys (made in Australia). I don't do much off-road so I'm not risking the alloys like others might.

I reckon you have a good case. Are the wheels imported? If so it's even worse; an Australian company importing goods that are certified to standards should ensure the items comply or they should be forced to drop the items in question. Standards Australia don't seem to give a toss about enforcing standards; all that seems to have to happen generally is a piece of paper is supplied saying the item complies with AS blah blah. So we get flooded with stuff which we can't be sure of (and often still paying top dollar for it).

Perhaps ring up the NSW roads authority and ask them their opinion and what they could suggest. Play the safety line; potentially dangerous product etc..

Good Luck
IF A MAN TALKS IN THE FOREST AND THERE IS NO WOMAN TO HEAR HIM, IS HE STILL WRONG?
Brookster

Postby Cool95 on Thu, 12 Mar 2009 4:53 +0000

I have Dynamic 16x7, I only use the rims and MTZ's for offroading trips, nothing extreme. I did have a vibration in the steering so had the wheels checked one was out of round, so using it on the spare tyre. The tyre place said it was common with the sunraysia type of steel rim to go out of round, by the way he did not sell me the rims. Figured if I went back to Dynamic they would give the same response as Kings.
Cool95

Postby Torsion on Thu, 12 Mar 2009 8:58 +0000

Appreciate the reply's fella's,
Yeh I'm really pissed at this company and had big verbal's with the highest person in the company the Managing Director, what a knob to deal with..
Yes King Wheels are made oversee's and imported into Australia.
What makes this whole senario worse is the MTR's have now developed scolloping on (suprise suprise) the rims that are out of round.

I'll keeps youse posted on what happens, the've messed with the wrong person.

Oh yeh by the way - good old mates over their at 4WD ACTION forum have deleted my same post saying its one sided bad business and they don't condone it.
Well _uck me, isn't that a bitch given KING WHEELS are a paying advertiser with 4WD ACTION!!!!
Torsion

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 12 Mar 2009 10:29 +0000

Id start a post on 4x4 action if I were you on why 4x4 action doesnt allow criticism of their sponsors products if it is in the main interest of fellow 4x4 enthusiasts..... dont back down mate.

Was it sr5_Lux that had the problems with the TJM springs? he posted on 4x4 action too, but because tjm isnt a sponsor of 4x4 action anymore, it seems that this is fine.

fire up little buddy :twisted:

get back on that horse and keep riding!
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Macca on Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:06 +0000

I didn't renew my subscription to mentioned publication because I got so fed up with the endorsment of whoever was advertising that month, it appears they are still doing it.

Honest appraisal and constructive critisism can improve both the product and also the circulation figures of the mag.

On TV, Top Gear is probably the best at that.

Keep the pressure on Torsion, make sure your trucks legal when you take it to consumer affairs, a current affair or RTA :roll: don't want any other hassles.

If A.S. is 1.5 and King is 4.0 they are in for a roasting, if you can get it all in writing they will run and hide when the lot above come knocking.

Sounds like youv'e got your feathers up, good onya.

Macca
Macca

Postby rockman on Thu, 12 Mar 2009 5:04 +0000

I had a set of KINGS .
Couldn't get them to balance after 4 attempts with new Bridgestones .
Unfortunatly , this was after they where paid for .
In the end , i ended up back with my alloys , balanced perfectly 1st time , with the bridgestones on .

I ended up selling them at a loss to move them , no help from Kings at all .

Cheers
"Naked man walking through airport door sideways is going to Bangkok."
rockman

Postby Bull on Fri, 13 Mar 2009 4:46 +0000

This is an appalling situation and has been going on for so long there must be thousands of out-of-shape rims out there. It just goes to show the level of acceptance in the buying public. I've found some steel rims to balance fine and others that never would. Brand doesn't seem to matter although I've never bought Kings new before.
I try to only use alloys now.
Bull

Postby hiluxdan on Sun, 15 Mar 2009 7:49 +0000

Not good to hear about kings or A4WDA.Hope you get somewhere with it.
Check this out, you may, just may be able to sneek an honest comment in here, page 2.
http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/forum/show ... hp?t=44502
Not trying to stir the pot but what happenned to real world tests and all the crap they go on with, sound more like who's paying the bills.
Dan
hiluxdan

Postby Torsion on Sun, 15 Mar 2009 8:47 +0000

Hahahahaha, good one Dan, I'll get on that. :lol: :lol:
Torsion

Postby jiggins on Sun, 15 Mar 2009 9:54 +0000

Its a Shame You did not have this post up 2 weeks ago I've just bought a set of 5 kings in black. I did a run to Stockton Beach From Sydney the weekend after I picked them up. Driving up it felt like the wheels where square when i was over 90 km/h and the shake in the steering wheel felt like it was gonna fall off.

Took them back to the wheel shop and got them re-balanced to which feels great now.

The excuse i was give was the inside weights on the left side had fallen off (which was Bull dust) and had I dropped the pressures.

After Answering yes to dropping the pressure they tried to pin it on me. But when I told them It was worst on the drive up then when I came back he shut up pretty quick.

I'm just hope it was the first fitter and not the wheels. I did take notice there was a lot less weight on the wheels when i got it back the second time round and in different places.

fingers crossed I've got a good set.

cheers

Jiggins
jiggins

My 2005 Dual Cab Hilux Garden Ornament will move again one day. :shock:

Yep... One Day. :roll:

Update: My 2005 Dual Cab Hilux Garden Ornament is back on the road. :shock:
jiggins
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jiggins on Sat, 28 Mar 2009 1:45 +0000

Just Curious I took the lux to another tyre shop this morning as the vibration/shutter is still there and was told to take the wheels back to where i got them from as "they're out of round" but did not say by how much.

Is there anyone else that has had this problem

cheers

James
jiggins

My 2005 Dual Cab Hilux Garden Ornament will move again one day. :shock:

Yep... One Day. :roll:

Update: My 2005 Dual Cab Hilux Garden Ornament is back on the road. :shock:
jiggins
Platinum Subscriber

Postby matt79 on Sat, 28 Mar 2009 3:38 +0000

I've got 16x8 black steel king rims. No problems yet!
matt79

Postby bilko on Sat, 28 Mar 2009 7:56 +0000

I also got a set of 5 about 5 months ago. When i got them covered with MTZs the wheel weights varied from 60gm weights to 150gm(??) I had a slight vibration at around 105km. After 2 weeks it was like i was rapidly waiving to everyone as i drive along. I get all 5 rotated at service, but still never get rid of the vibration in total.

The original fitters said it was generally the tyre that caused the issue.

Now balanced by 2 differnt retailers, same results.

I'll now follow this up vigorusly!

If we all can get solid evidence that their is an issue this will get sorted. As many times as it has been said on this discussion, play the safety card and publicity game. Though be vary careful what statements are made i.e. 4wd action on side of advertiser. If it goes public and it effects any 3rd party they may seek damages. I'm no legal expert, just my 2 cents worth.

I'll keep posted my follow ups
bilko

Next

Return to General Discussion