08 D4D left indicators + Hazards not working - please help

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

08 D4D left indicators + Hazards not working - please help

Postby Mickyrodge91 on Thu, 03 Feb 2022 9:28 +0000

Hi all,

First time poster here, although I’ve been an onlooker for around 14 years and have had many issues fixed by you guys over the time so I’d like to say a big thanks

I’ve recently had an issue with my Indicators, right hand indicators work perfectly fine, left hand indicators won’t work at all
Indicator light on dash flicks once and stops (no lights flash externally on the left side)
When pressing the hazard light button the turn signal fuse blows every time

Multimeter shows no power to the left indicator bulb sockets
All Brakes and lights work fine on the car
Have replaced indicator relay under the dash but it didn’t help
Have checked all wiring and connections on that side that I have access to and they all seem fine

2008 D4D hilux dual cab, tow bar fitted + combo lights on bullbar (both have been there for 10+years)

Really hoping someone can help as this is the daily driver that we drop the kids off to school etc
Thanks in advance
Mick

Hoping someone can help
Mickyrodge91

Re: 08 D4D left indicators + Hazards not working - please he

Postby hiluxxury on Thu, 03 Feb 2022 12:50 +0000

Sorry no idea. Can only speculate that there is a leak somewhere or the indicator switch is worn out.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby Mickyrodge91 on Thu, 03 Feb 2022 1:30 +0000

hiluxxury wrote:Sorry no idea. Can only speculate that there is a leak somewhere or the indicator switch is worn out.

Thanks for the reply, my next thought was to look at the switch, but unsure as to wether the hazards run through the switch for this to be a possible cause?
Fuse doesn’t blow when using indicator, only hazards
Mickyrodge91

Postby dave g on Thu, 03 Feb 2022 3:32 +0000

You have a electrical short same where.
Keep looking work backwards from switch
dave g

Postby Mickyrodge91 on Thu, 03 Feb 2022 4:10 +0000

dave g wrote:You have a electrical short same where.
Keep looking work backwards from switch

Thanks, what would be the most effective way to check certain sections of the wiring do you think? It is it simply a matter of looking for any imperfections along the entire line?
Cheers
Mickyrodge91

Postby Rob_Wood on Fri, 04 Feb 2022 7:51 +0000

Mickyrodge91 wrote:Thanks, what would be the most effective way to check certain sections of the wiring do you think? It is it simply a matter of looking for any imperfections along the entire line?
Cheers

This bit alone tells me you might not be completely confident in tackling this job on your own. If you have a mate in the know it might be an idea to have them look with you.
In most vehicles (my older hilux included) the blinkers and the hazards use separate flasher cans. Looking for "Obviously damaged wiring" is a good idea, but it rarely finds the "only" problem (fingers crossed for you).
When turning the blinkers or the hazards on can you "Hear" the flasher cans operating?
Have you had any recent damage to the vehicle? Even the simplest thing? like maybe rats or mice nesting in the vehicle?
Let us know how you go with those things.
Rob_Wood

Postby Mickyrodge91 on Fri, 04 Feb 2022 8:35 +0000

Rob_Wood wrote:
Mickyrodge91 wrote:Thanks, what would be the most effective way to check certain sections of the wiring do you think? It is it simply a matter of looking for any imperfections along the entire line?
Cheers

This bit alone tells me you might not be completely confident in tackling this job on your own. If you have a mate in the know it might be an idea to have them look with you.
In most vehicles (my older hilux included) the blinkers and the hazards use separate flasher cans. Looking for "Obviously damaged wiring" is a good idea, but it rarely finds the "only" problem (fingers crossed for you).
When turning the blinkers or the hazards on can you "Hear" the flasher cans operating?
Have you had any recent damage to the vehicle? Even the simplest thing? like maybe rats or mice nesting in the vehicle?
Let us know how you go with those things.

The relay clicks when using the left indicator ,the light also flashes on the dash but not outside
When pressing the hazard button there is a slight click behind the dash (not the indicator relay)
Then it soon after blows the fuse in the main fuse box for the turn signal
Mickyrodge91

Postby Rob_Wood on Fri, 04 Feb 2022 10:47 +0000

Mickyrodge91 wrote:The relay clicks when using the left indicator ,the light also flashes on the dash but not outside
When pressing the hazard button there is a slight click behind the dash (not the indicator relay)
Then it soon after blows the fuse in the main fuse box for the turn signal

When the lights are flashing, can you actually hear the "click click - - - click click - - - click click" of the flasher can? Mine still has the old style flasher can but I believe newer models have an electronic timer to carry out the flashing of the lights. Trying to figure out where your vehicle sits in the evolution path of these things.
If yours is solid state then take it to an Auto Electrician. If you have the old bi-metallic style flasher cans then in and around the mounting of the blinker and hazard flasher can mountings you should check for obvious burn marks and other damage. Some of these systems mounted the 2 flashers cans too close to each other and there was sometimes an overheating problem if (for whatever reason) both flasher cans were run simultaneously for too long. Usually when pulling to the left, putting on the hazards and not turning off the left blinker. Getting out and changing a flat is often enough time for this situation to affect your gear.
If this "IS" likely to be an issue, then again, take it to an auto-sparky because there is often some minor wiring work will need being done.
Rob_Wood

Postby Mickyrodge91 on Mon, 07 Feb 2022 12:33 +0000

When the lights are flashing, can you actually hear the "click click - - - click click - - - click click" of the flasher can? Mine still has the old style flasher can but I believe newer models have an electronic timer to carry out the flashing of the lights. Trying to figure out where your vehicle sits in the evolution path of these things.
If yours is solid state then take it to an Auto Electrician. If you have the old bi-metallic style flasher cans then in and around the mounting of the blinker and hazard flasher can mountings you should check for obvious burn marks and other damage. Some of these systems mounted the 2 flashers cans too close to each other and there was sometimes an overheating problem if (for whatever reason) both flasher cans were run simultaneously for too long. Usually when pulling to the left, putting on the hazards and not turning off the left blinker. Getting out and changing a flat is often enough time for this situation to affect your gear.
If this "IS" likely to be an issue, then again, take it to an auto-sparky because there is often some minor wiring work will need being done.[/quote]

When right hand indicating you can hear the relay clicking as per normal, when left hand indicating you can hear the relay click but only once
Mickyrodge91

Postby Rob_Wood on Mon, 07 Feb 2022 5:50 +0000

Mickyrodge91 wrote:When right hand indicating you can hear the relay clicking as per normal, when left hand indicating you can hear the relay click but only once

Yeah, in the beginning you said something about the turn signal fuse blowing when operating the hazards? This indicates a problem somewhere around the interconnection of these two circuits or maybe someone has changed something (maybe when installing a car alarm???). Whatever the issue, it needs to be checked out and properly rectified.
Rob_Wood

Return to General Discussion