Canopies

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Canopies

Postby Seaair on Sun, 08 Mar 2009 3:08 +0000

Sorry fellas. I know there are probably numerous discussion points on this very issue, but like anyone 'in the market' I would like some good advice.

I want to know what is the better quality canopy produced by either ARB, Carryboy or Flexiglass.

I seek a product with a good seal from water/dust, security, practability (for eg. you can open the windows - in particular, the front one so the rear vehicle window can be washed). Has an internal ligt and brake light. A prodcut that can take a good load (i.e if I decide to put on roof racks) and is able to withstand corrugated roads - which I regularly travel.

I have previously shyed away from a 'canopy' as it detracts from the sporting look of the 'sports bars' and makes my ute look like a wagon- but I now know the practicability of the canopy especially as it relates to load carrying etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mark
Seaair

Re: Canopies

Postby broke on Sun, 08 Mar 2009 6:45 +0000

Mines a Razorback steel canopy from Utemart.com.au at Burleigh Heads (Gold Coast). Check out shed pics. 85 kgs all up and can put 100kgs straight onto the rails.

Only has sliding windows- not pop out.

There are heaps of threads and most are worthwhile the time to read if you're in the market. I know what you mean about the wagon look- but I could never go back now- practicality far outways the loss of the sports bar!!

$2850 all up fitted

Broke
broke

Postby rodw on Mon, 09 Mar 2009 6:04 +0000

This thread covers most of the options.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1637&hilit=canopy+research

I would go with Broke's soluton if you want a smart, tough low back canopy. If you want a high one or want to maximise the load carrying capacity of your rig go with the Avenger Trademan's style which is the same as the one I have got from another (unamed supplier). They carry 80-100kg on the roof depending on who you listen too and are cost competitve with the ARB and Flexiglass solutons if you fit the roof rack bars.

Broke's steel canopy is superior to the Avenger lowback fibreglass one which looks almost identical to the Utemart one.

I would not get the TJM one as they crack on corrugations according to a friend in SW QLD who lives on the dirt. The Flexiglass Windoor are not waterproof by their own admission and the ARB one has a history of the glass falling out. so if I were you I'd choose betwen Broke's from Utemart

or mine from Avenger

which also gives you better access from the sides:

rodw

Postby Seaair on Mon, 09 Mar 2009 8:14 +0000

Thanks Broke and Rodw foe your replies.

It goes to show that if you pay up to and maybe more than $2500 (hard earbed dollars) you would would at least expect a product would able to withstand Aussie corrugated roads.

Those big name brands seem to me be just show ponies.
Seaair

Postby Skog07 on Mon, 09 Mar 2009 9:06 +0000

Seaair.
Dont be afraid to check out the second hand market either. Have a look on ebay for second hand units as you maybe lucky and come across one. There are also 2nd canopy and tray dealers around as well. Was lucky enough to purchase a second hand one from a member on here for just over a third of the new price. It came with alot of accessories, including a tub and Rhino racks. Needless to say I cancelled my work for the next day and drove interstate to go and pick it up. With a 4tonne excavator and a few slings had my new canopy and tub fitted in a few hours.
Have a good look around first mate you may be lucky.
I had my heart set on the Avenger (forum sponsor) Rodws, its a stand out. Very functional for a tradesman. With slam shut windows. And possible to fit central locking.
I also like Broke's canopy, seeing it in the flesh does not do the photos justice. It looks like part of the vehicle. If Toyota were to make a tub like this as an option they would probably caputure more of the market and possibly detract sales from the Prado. I needed the pop up windows so unfortunately had to rule the Razorback out.
Good luck.
Cheers
Skog
Skog07

Postby rodw on Tue, 10 Mar 2009 3:23 +0000

Just one more thought to consider. If you are like me and want to carry an Oz tent on the roof or something long with Broke's Utemart one. The standard roof rack rails on the Utemart canopy are not very long so you will need one cross bar on the roof and one on the canopy. This means you will be up for added expense of a roof mount track mount and a cross bar on the canopy. Utemart will sell you this stuff at the time, but the cost adds up.

This was one of the deciding factors fo me as the Avenger canopy allowed direct fitment of rhino rack bars onto the canopy roof which are wide enough apart to carry the OzTent without the added expense of an additional car mounted roof rack or associated tracks. This gives it a few hundred dollar cost advantage.

In either case, both canopys have a significant price advantage over Flexiglass et all in relaton to roof racks as the roof is strong enough to carry a load without the added expense of the mounting rails that fit inside the canopy and mount down onto the top of the tub.
rodw

Postby Avenger4x4 on Tue, 10 Mar 2009 6:20 +0000

Hi Mark,

Just some advice when purchasing a canopy:

If you purchase a fibreglass canopy, make sure it is a one piece shell canopy as this will have a major effect on the life of your canopy especially if you drive on corrugated roads. A lot of companies that supply fibreglass canopies make their canopies in stages (i.e. the walls, then the roof, then the base) this creates 'weak points' around the structure of your canopy. Even though fibreglass can be repaired, the problem will re-occur.

No canopy will be completely dust/water proof, however most dust and water that enters your tub will be coming through the gap in your tailgate.

We (and a few other companies) recommend no more than 80kg's of load on the roof of our canopies. Yes, they will carry more but this load rating isn't to prevent damage to the canopy, it's so when you're travelling down the fwy @ 100km/h and some idiot pulls out in front of you, your load will not have an affect on the stopping performance.

Also, try and get a product with stainless (or similar) hardware, this will prevent rust and everyone knows what happens to paint when you have constant 'rusty water' run off.

I hope this covers a few things for you. And good luck with your hunt.

Jess
Avenger 4x4 Accessories
Mako TDS - Australia's #1 rated winch.
Avenger4x4

Postby broke on Tue, 10 Mar 2009 10:17 +0000

Agree with comments made all round- in particular Rod's WRT the length of the raills on mine.

You will also notice that the Ute Mart canopy hangs over the side by about an inch so no water ingrees at all as well as no visible black rubber strip around the back of your car. Call me shallow but looks were a factor when I went from having the sports bar to a canopy!! ;)

Broke
broke

Postby Seaair on Tue, 10 Mar 2009 5:17 +0000

Thanks to you all for your responses.

Yes there are a few more considerations than I initially thought.
Seaair

Postby Skog07 on Tue, 10 Mar 2009 9:10 +0000

Seeair
Here are three for you taken off ebay.
This one is a bit pricey but does come with a tub. Its the right colour though
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HILUX-CANOPY-AND ... 240%3A1318
Another one, this would need to be sprayed to match. Pretty cheap though if you can get it at the right price.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TOYOTA-HILUX-200 ... 240%3A1318
Not sure of the quality of this unit but it looks fairly sleek and has pop out windows.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BRAND-NEW-HILUX- ... 240%3A1318
Problem is your over in WA which doesnt make it easy for you to get stuff from the Eastern states. Good luck with your search.
Cheers
Skog
Skog07

Postby djs0276 on Wed, 11 Mar 2009 4:00 +0000

Hi guys.
Avenger remeinded me of a point I've wanted to ask. What have you all done about the gaps on either side of the tailgate? When looking from inside the tub towards the tailgate, I can see air where the tailgate meets the body of the tray. Obviously this will allow dust, water, insects etc to enter the tray which is not ideal.
djs0276
Platinum Subscriber

Postby broke on Wed, 11 Mar 2009 1:34 +0000

Just get some strips of light rubber from Clarks Rubber or somewhere glue it on down the edges. Do a search- Member 'Tonlija' has done this and wrote about it b4 he sold his Hilux.

Also, just leave the front window of canopy (facing the rear window of the cab) open a couple of inches and this generally keeps a positive air pressue in the canopy which will stop it being a real issue.

At the end of the day, you won't be able to stop it all but these little points will go a long way to preventing dust coming in the back thru the gaps.

Broke
broke

Postby rodw on Wed, 11 Mar 2009 7:29 +0000

HAve a look on my Rod's New Rig thread for some pics. (see my sig below for link)
rodw

Postby kennyPL on Mon, 03 Aug 2020 9:22 +0000

Can I install roof rack directly on the Flexiglass canopy or I need an internal support frame too?
MY12 4.0 V6 SR Dualcab
kennyPL

Postby dave g on Tue, 04 Aug 2020 6:50 +0000

Put frame work inside canopy is to weak.
dave g

Return to General Discussion