Canvas Canopy Options

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Canvas Canopy Options

Postby NoonkiNT on Wed, 28 Jul 2021 7:28 +0000

G'day Everyone,

I've made up a frame and drop sides for a canopy and am at the point on putting sides on it. I'm thinking of going aluminium composite (signage) panels on the front top and back and putting canvas on the two sides. The sides are approximately 2 metres wide and height travelling along the frame about 930mm.

Anyone who has done something similar I was wondering what type of canvas you went with, what options you chose, how it's fixed to the frame. I really know bugger all about the canvas so just trying to get some ideas, anything helps. Also what sort of cost would I be looking at? I plan on building a false floor with a double mattress on top to sleep in.

Cheers all in advance

NoonkiNT

Re: Canvas Canopy Options

Postby Rob_Wood on Thu, 29 Jul 2021 1:03 +0000

If you're set on canvas then remember that any rub points will wear through. Wind flap is an issue, talk to any truckie you see with canvas sides. you'll see how often the canvas needs to anchored top & bottom. Choose your manufacturer carefully. The type of "Cotton" (stitching twine) used will also have a bearing on the ultimate lifespan as some of the cheaper stuff only lasts a couple of years ... especially if you're in a salty environment. Some manufacturers use this so they can keep selling you new canvas every year or two. Having windows in a canvas canopy can be a whole new can of worms.
I end up making a frame and building a steel canopy to replace the canvas on my old Patrol after some ass-hole slashed my canvas and stole my bean-bag and blanket. They were there for me to crash on after a night at the RSL Club. Bean Bag wasn't a problem, but the blanket really stung because it was hand knitted by my late Grandmother, nearly 40 years later I'd still like to get my hands around that particular throat.
Anyway, that's my 2 cents rant.
Except to say that wrapping a bit of sheet steel around the frame will probably work out cheaper and easier in the long run.
Rob_Wood

Postby linsutter on Thu, 30 Dec 2021 4:35 +0000

Rob_Wood wrote:If you're set on canvas then remember that any rub points will wear through. Wind flap is an issue, talk to any truckie you see with canvas sides. you'll see how often the canvas needs to anchored top & bottom. Choose your manufacturer carefully. The type of "Cotton" (stitching twine) used will also have a bearing on the ultimate lifespan as some of the cheaper stuff only lasts a couple of years ... especially if you're in a salty environment. Some manufacturers use this so they can keep selling you new canvas every year or two. Having windows in a canvas canopy can be a whole new can of worms.
I end up making a frame and building a steel canopy to replace the canvas on my old Patrol after some ass-hole slashed my canvas and stole my bean-bag and blanket. They were there for me to crash on after a night at the RSL Club. Bean Bag wasn't a problem, but the blanket really stung because it was hand knitted by my late Grandmother, nearly 40 years later I'd still like to get my hands around that particular throat.
Anyway, that's my 2 cents rant.
Except to say that wrapping a bit of sheet steel around the frame will probably work out cheaper and easier in the long run.

Thank you. Now I understand more.
play slope game for free and train your attention and agility
linsutter

Postby Chopps on Thu, 30 Dec 2021 7:31 +0000

A few threads to browse through here: https://www.google.com.au/search?sa=G&s ... =731&dpr=2

Most will canvas over ally mesh and add lockable latches for security
Chopps

Postby Sonned on Mon, 14 Feb 2022 9:30 +0000

I use an awning for a car - this is a thing that protects the car from external damage: branches, bird droppings, snow, rain, and other factors that can compromise the integrity of the paintwork. I do all the work on auspicious days https://www.sunsigns.org/eleven-symbolism-numerology/ . And for the truck, I use a tarpaulin cover.
Sonned

Return to General Discussion