08 hilux Hydrolocked with diesel

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

08 hilux Hydrolocked with diesel

Postby Luke turner on Sun, 06 Dec 2020 11:30 +0000

Gday guys, im wondering if anyone can help me shed some light.
I own an 08 sr hilux witch i recently tipped on its side, took a good 25 minute to get my mate into a good enough spot snatch me back over, most of the oil came out of my airbox, towed her home and started tinkering. I puulled the injectors out once and cranked/blew the oil out from were it shouldnt be. Slapped her back together and still ran abit rough so i decided to repeat the process just incase i didnt get it all. Put it back together again for the second time and ran quite nice but i did have a heavy knock coming from the injectors while under load. I thought maybe it was just an upset injector seal and it might seat itself back into its home after a thousand ks or so. Cruised for about 2000 ks not putting too much stress on the motor and my drive came to an abrupt end once the engine revved out to govern and smoke flogging out behind me, i hit the key to turn it off very quickly rolled to a stop and after a quick assessment of the motor i notice my dipstick was covered in diesel and oil, very thick and potent of diesel, covering about 3 quarters of the dipstick. Havent had much time to tinker or find the right blokes with an idea. My guess is injectors seals maybe or injector pump? Is there any ideas you guys have for me would be very much appreciated?
Luke turner

Re: 08 hilux Hydrolocked with diesel

Postby martynvella on Sun, 06 Dec 2020 3:21 +0000

Did you use new injector seals when you refitted the injectors and did they go back in the same cylinders?
Check the oil pick up for carbon granules.
martynvella

Postby Luke turner on Mon, 07 Dec 2020 7:00 +0000

All the injectors went back into the right cylinders but i didnt refit them with new seals nah do you think a fouled seal could cause the issue im having? Ill have to wait two weeks to have a tinker yet im working away, thank you for your response
Luke turner

Postby martynvella on Mon, 07 Dec 2020 7:13 +0000

They should be replaced with new ones but the most likley c ause of the oil dilution is a leaking fuel return seal on one of the injectors.
Where do you work?
martynvella

Postby LHooley on Mon, 07 Dec 2020 6:53 +0000

Because it already had oil in the bores. Id say the damage may have already been done unfortunately
LHooley

Postby Luke turner on Tue, 08 Dec 2020 2:53 +0000

i should have replaced all the seals when injectors came out, do you think its worth pursuing with this engine? Whats a way that i can figure that out with out spending much money? Im not a mechanic or anything but any information will help at this point cheers
Luke turner

Postby TOYZX on Tue, 08 Dec 2020 4:35 +0000

Do a compression test on it, that'll soon tell ya if she's knackered.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 09 Dec 2020 4:46 +0000

LHooley wrote:Because it already had oil in the bores. Id say the damage may have already been done unfortunately

Why would you think the engine is knackered because there's oil in the bores? It sounds more like an injector problem.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby LHooley on Wed, 09 Dec 2020 7:40 +0000

Gipsy wrote:
LHooley wrote:Because it already had oil in the bores. Id say the damage may have already been done unfortunately

Why would you think the engine is knackered because there's oil in the bores? It sounds more like an injector problem.

An assumption. It could be anything

It depends how much oil was in the motor when cranked because it may have 'hydrolocked' and potentially could of bent a rod somewhere
LHooley

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 09 Dec 2020 8:17 +0000

Methinks hydrolock would stop the starter motor in its tracks before bending a rod. Since the engine didn't stop suddenly bent rods are not likely. It's not surprising to find oil in the bores since the airbox and presumably all the inlet side of the engine was flooded with oil including the intercooler. The engine revving out to the limiter is more about the engine runaway, running on oil/fuel that shouldn't be there. A good cleanout of all the inlet side followed by a compression test would show more helpful information.
I will follow this with interest so please keep us up to speed.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 09 Dec 2020 8:34 +0000

martynvella wrote:They should be replaced with new ones but the most likley c ause of the oil dilution is a leaking fuel return seal on one of the injectors.
Where do you work?

This is more likely to indicate why the runaway engine! Return line leaking! Even a leaking oil seal in the turbo will cause a runaway engine. That's why there's a throttle valve in the intake manifold... To shut the engine down (particularly when you get a runaway engine).
Since the vehicle was driven for 2000ks it's most likely not to be the oil problem but the return seal(s)on the injectors
Gipsy

Return to General Discussion