Central locking 2012 SR5

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Central locking 2012 SR5

Postby Kata on Thu, 19 Nov 2020 7:29 +0000

I have a 2012 sr5 and when you remote locked or unlocked the doors, about 3 years ago(still under warranty)the drivers door would randomly not work either way lock or unlock all others fine. They replaced the fuse in the engine bay. then about a year or so ago the front passenger door would do the same.
As I said its random could go days all working and then just start playing up.
Well now since sometime during lockdown here in Vic all doors randomly will not lock or unlock. No obvious pattern just whichever and whenever, but sometimes all are ok.

Sometimes when it does also play up the central door switch always has no control, but other times it does.

Now Sunday the drivers rear door was playing up, all other doors ok.
Monday it went to Toyota for a service(no longer warranty) and their tech reported that 3 doors(Drivers, front passenger and passenger rear) have faulty actuators.
I told the service guy how do you work that out when the driver rear was the one play up yesterday and the 3 doors your tech advised were ok.

Up for 1300+ for the 3 doors.
I asked if it could be a relay or of BCM and told me tested and ok.
I then asked so what if i get them replaced and the issue is still there, and he shrugged his shoulders.

I searched and found nothing similar.

What are the chances all 3 or 4 actuators gone on a 7 year old hilux
cheers
Kata

Re: Central locking 2012 SR5

Postby dave g on Fri, 20 Nov 2020 5:29 +0000

I would be looking for a loose wire same where
Since it played up under warranty go straight to the manager and have a go at them doing it out of warranty as a on going complaint you have nothing to lose.
dave g

Postby Rob_Wood on Fri, 20 Nov 2020 10:25 +0000

dave g wrote:I would be looking for a loose wire same where
Since it played up under warranty go straight to the manager and have a go at them doing it out of warranty as a on going complaint you have nothing to lose.

If that doesn't work then take it somewhere else. $1300 is WAAyyy too much. You can buy a full central locking kit AND Alarm system for around $100 to $150. It actually sounds like the earth at the control box is the wire that's loose, but it could just as easily be if the solenoids in the doors are earthed in the doors then the hinges aren't providing a good enough earth track. Any Auto-Electrician worth their salt should be able to track down a faulty earth in no time flat. Maybe $100 for their efforts ... dependent of course on what he / she charges per hour?
Rob_Wood

Postby Chancha_Blanca on Wed, 25 Nov 2020 8:47 +0000

Very unlikely to be 3 act/soleniods...
Where in Aust are you?
If youre hands on, could try to power up acts/sole.
Without Trucks, Australia Stops, Without Hilux, the World Stops!
Chancha_Blanca

Postby Kata on Tue, 16 Feb 2021 8:55 +0000

I am in metro melbourne
Kata

Return to General Discussion