Spotlight loom question

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Spotlight loom question

Postby Sailin.on on Thu, 31 Oct 2019 4:33 +0000

Hi I have recently put an arb bar on my 2012 4wd sr. The arb bar came with the spotlights in it, but being an sr the truck didn’t have factory spotlights. Was wondering what exactly I need to buy for it?

Cheers
Sailin.on

Re: Spotlight loom question

Postby taresk on Thu, 31 Oct 2019 3:15 +0000

Just a basic wiring loom, (relay, fuse, switch), you can buy them complete, or choose your own bits. Those lights I believe are only 55w, so it doesn't need very heavy wiring.
taresk

Re: Spotlight loom question

Postby Myralga on Fri, 01 Nov 2019 6:14 +0000

Based off what/where your saying I think your using the wrong name for the lights. At least in Australia anyway. Your from New Zealand? so maybe you use slightly different terminology to Aussies is all.

my guess is you mean the fog lights which are built into the metal body of the bar. And these are low watt as per previous statement.
Spot lights on the other hand are additional lights that provide extra light and distance and can be very powerful and draw lots of amps and are usually mounted on top of the bullbar.

but fog lights are designed to light right in front down low to hopefully illuminate the road under the fog.

Just make sure they are connected to the appropriate lighting circuits for the laws in your area.
In Aus fog lights can be triggered/activated by the parkers through a separate isolation switch.
While spot lights are only able to be activated when high-beam is active to prevent blinding oncoming drivers. Again through an isolation switch.

I know in some parts of the world these laws don’t matter at all, but I guess NZ is similar to Aus so you just need to check local laws.
NSW cops although rare, Can throw the book at you for incorrect lighting and the fines are nasty over here.

And as always if in doubt always get an auto electrician to do the work for you. Last thing you wanna do is burn down your ride from a short circuit.
Also depending on what lights are in the bar. ARB Stores should have the specific looms for their fog lights on the shelf usually. If you want a prewired one. You just need to pick up the correct points for the trigger. Or if your vehicle is a negative switched vehicle then the earth trigger circuit. Both versions exist in the Aussie market.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Return to General Discussion