Cabin Headlining Leaks when it Rains

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Cabin Headlining Leaks when it Rains

Postby simonwar on Wed, 19 Jun 2019 3:57 +0000

Hi,

I bought a Hilux, (KUN26R 2005 Dual Cab 3.0 Diesel) from a "Garaged Lot in the Dry season".... and lo and behold when it rained and was parked on my drive the Cabin Headlining gets soaked in the corners just above the A-Pillars adjacent to the windscreen ......and now I notice the tide lines!!!!).

Before I :
a) Pay for a new window seal
b) Rip both black strips up, (i think they are called ditch molds) and check underneath, (seems coincidental its both sides). I also read on this forum prizing the clips up would break them ..... so again I am trying to avoid making things worse before they get better.)

Has anyone had any experience of this so I avoid a large bill, can i fix myself?

Much appreciated, Simon.
simonwar

Re: Cabin Headlining Leaks when it Rains

Postby TOYZX on Wed, 19 Jun 2019 7:18 +0000

Do ya have free windscreens on ya insurance? Jist go and get the windscreen replaced. Sounds to me that it's been done b4 and thay haven't glued it on properly. Or... Does the ute have roof racks?? Most will have tracks drilled and riveted into the roof gutter, can be a problem if not done properly.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby simonwar on Thu, 20 Jun 2019 11:14 +0000

No Roof Racks.

I guess unless both seems under the ditch molds have a hole, it must be the windscreen.

I'll check my insurance.

Cheers, Si
simonwar

Postby Mick_762 on Thu, 20 Jun 2019 12:46 +0000

simonwar wrote:No Roof Racks.

I guess unless both seems under the ditch molds have a hole, it must be the windscreen.

I'll check my insurance.

Cheers, Si

Unfortunately a lot of Insurance companies no longer have the "free windscreen a year" last 2 I checked didnt. Bit of a bitch actually as I too have a leaking windscreen in a 2008 Hilux that I just bought.
Support bacteria: for some people, its the only Culture they have.
Mick_762

Postby TOYZX on Thu, 20 Jun 2019 4:12 +0000

Unless there is an actual hole in the roof then it can only come in around the windscreen if they didn't put enough urethane down to seal/glue it on.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby simonwar on Fri, 19 Feb 2021 8:08 +0000

Quick update....

Obriens resealed my windscreen and indicated that whom ever had done the previous screen replacement was useless and didn't seal it properly and subsequently the lip around the window is rotting away.

He filled it as best he could with the window sealer (black stuff), and politely said you may think about moving this old girl on :-)

At the moment I only get the slightest of damp during heavy continuous rain on one side only, so its definately the window seal and nothing else.

Thanks for the guidance.
simonwar

Return to General Discussion