CV issues

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

CV issues

Postby GD40 on Fri, 22 Feb 2019 10:10 +0000

Hey all,

Drove out of the garage after my car had been sitting there for a few days and noticed a small patch of dropped oil on the ground. Looked under the car and found oil on both CV boots, see pictures.

Is this usual? If not, how would I go about fixing it? I've never had my car drop oil before, especially from here so I'm a bit confused.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

GD

ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
GD40

Re: CV issues

Postby TOYZX on Fri, 22 Feb 2019 10:46 +0000

Looks like you have a leaking diff seal and a leaking steering rack.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby GD40 on Fri, 22 Feb 2019 12:29 +0000

TOYZX wrote:Looks like you have a leaking diff seal and a leaking steering rack.

Do you think it could just be the washer for the diff? I didn't replace it when I changed the oil in the diff which was pretty dumb [emoji23]

GD40

Postby TOYZX on Fri, 22 Feb 2019 3:17 +0000

Don't think so. I've never replaced the washer on mine lol. Both my drive shafts look like that, been weeping on and off for years. Changed the seals a couple of times but didn't really help, it doesn't leave a puddle so I just keep an eye on the oil levels. Same goes for the steering rack, been weeping for years.

TOYZX

Postby wombat81 on Fri, 29 Mar 2019 11:36 +0000

Is that a cable tie on the end of the boot? It should be a metal hose clamp. Maybe try putting the proper hose clamp on first and see if that helps.

One of my CV boots started leaking late last year while I was on a lap. You can get a boot kit with diff seal etc, pull the whole lot out and replace it all. It's a biggish job for a home mechanic and very messy. From memory the genuine parts would be about $250-$300 for that. The risk with that is that CVs do tend to fail eventually. So your time and money is essentially wasted if you do the work and then the CV lets go 12 months later and needs to be replaced anyway.

The alternative is to replace the whole CV shaft. Genuine ones are about $500 if you want to do it yourself. The Toyota dealer in Perth replaced mine for $750. The shaft itself was fine but you never know when they're going to let go so I made the decision to change it. I've seen too many trucks in remote places like the Cape and Fraser with busted CVs. Well Fraser isn't remote, but it's bloody expensive getting your truck towed home from there...

You could always go for a non-genuine CV shaft but the consensus is that they don't last anywhere near as long as genuine. If you do get the CV replaced, keep the old one and fix it up for a spare.

Good luck.
Current: 2021 SR Dual Cab Chassis 4x4 2.8TD Manual
Retired: 2010 SR Dual Cab Chassis 4x4 3.0TD Manual
My current (2021 model) build thread
My previous (2010 model) build thread
wombat81

Postby GD40 on Sat, 06 Apr 2019 3:14 +0000

wombat81 wrote:Is that a cable tie on the end of the boot? It should be a metal hose clamp. Maybe try putting the proper hose clamp on first and see if that helps.

One of my CV boots started leaking late last year while I was on a lap. You can get a boot kit with diff seal etc, pull the whole lot out and replace it all. It's a biggish job for a home mechanic and very messy. From memory the genuine parts would be about $250-$300 for that. The risk with that is that CVs do tend to fail eventually. So your time and money is essentially wasted if you do the work and then the CV lets go 12 months later and needs to be replaced anyway.

The alternative is to replace the whole CV shaft. Genuine ones are about $500 if you want to do it yourself. The Toyota dealer in Perth replaced mine for $750. The shaft itself was fine but you never know when they're going to let go so I made the decision to change it. I've seen too many trucks in remote places like the Cape and Fraser with busted CVs. Well Fraser isn't remote, but it's bloody expensive getting your truck towed home from there...

You could always go for a non-genuine CV shaft but the consensus is that they don't last anywhere near as long as genuine. If you do get the CV replaced, keep the old one and fix it up for a spare.

Good luck.

It isa cable tie mate and I've never had an issue but I will change it when I get the truck back. I found that I had a very slow leak from the diff and took it to the diff shop in Mitcham. Found I had heaps of play in the drive shaft into the diff so I'm hoping it's just the bearings and not anything serious. Still waiting for a call back.

I'll get some hose clamps from super cheap when and fix it up. Mechanics never seem to have a problem with the cable ties.
GD40

Postby Markdavo on Tue, 08 Sep 2020 6:04 +0000

My 2016 SR had its 90,000 service yesterday and the dealer's service department reported "RH outer CV boot clamp has lost tension - recommend replacement - weeping grease."

I looked under the vehicle and the whole end of the boot and other parts are covered in a thin film of grease with dust and sand embedded.

Q. Should I replace only the clamp or clamp and boot? I hope this image will upload.

Thanks, Mark

Markdavo

Postby GD40 on Sun, 20 Sep 2020 9:50 +0000

Markdavo wrote:My 2016 SR had its 90,000 service yesterday and the dealer's service department reported "RH outer CV boot clamp has lost tension - recommend replacement - weeping grease."

I looked under the vehicle and the whole end of the boot and other parts are covered in a thin film of grease with dust and sand embedded.

Q. Should I replace only the clamp or clamp and boot? I hope this image will upload.

Thanks, Mark

Picture isn't showing up mate

GD40

Postby hiluxxury on Mon, 21 Sep 2020 6:43 +0000

Markdavo wrote:My 2016 SR had its 90,000 service yesterday and the dealer's service department reported "RH outer CV boot clamp has lost tension - recommend replacement - weeping grease."

Thanks, Mark

Unless the boot has a split in it, just replace the clamp.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Return to General Discussion