I'm a bit overweight and panicking

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Re: I'm a bit overweight and panicking

Postby emiloberg on Mon, 19 Nov 2018 5:24 +0000

gaspergartner wrote:You have very little options for GVM upgrade in Europe for 2010 hilux.

Trip-tec in Germany has the neareat configuration for hardware as yours, maybe you can call them and ask:
https://www.trip-tec.de/auflastung-fuer ... ung-202113

There was someone that I read who managed to upgrade to UK specs, because hardware is suposedly the same It was just Toyotas decision to write in lower values. But this option will give you only 200 kg aditional or around there somewhere. And I think this is only for the 2011+ model.

All other options include air suspension (MAD) or are more expensive (Nestle).

What did happen when you got weighet, did they let you back on the road?

I just called two Swedish Toyota dealers to ask about this. They didn’t know up front but I’m awaiting a callback.

Quite interesting with the German shop! If I read that correctly, the only thing they do is change the suspension (leaves/springs/absorbers). Looks like they use KONI springs up front (never heard of) and the same Old Man Emu leaves as I have, in the back.

If that’s the case, that should imply that my car should be safe (given that breakers etc is well functioning) even though I don’t have it on official papers. Do you read it the same way?

As for getting on the road after getting weighted, we drove into an unmanned weighbridge ourselves (they’re apperantly all over Italy as they drive their trucks with goods on to them to weigh the livestock, grain and whatnots.
emiloberg

Postby emiloberg on Mon, 19 Nov 2018 5:26 +0000

dave g wrote:For where you are on your trip. I wood fit a helper spring and not stress adout it.

Is there any practical differences between fitting a helper spring and another leaf in the leaf pack?
emiloberg

Postby dave g on Mon, 19 Nov 2018 5:51 +0000

They bolt on with out pulling everything apart I seen them in a Ironman ad
dave g

Postby gaspergartner on Mon, 19 Nov 2018 7:55 +0000

Doing GVM officially is a completely different matter than doing only hardware upgrades to carry more weight. If you want official upgrade so that you don't get fined by the police then you must follow one of the procedure that is offered by the shops that do official GVM upgrade... you don't have many options.

Doing only hardware, with OME leaf spring just go with aditional leaf spring, you may also change Nitro Shocks with HD version, if you don't already have that. I would leave brakes as they are, braking 3.2 t is not that big of a deal, just try to predict the conditions and keep alert. Remember that Hilux has gross combined mass (with trailer) at 5,700 kg (or is it 5,850 kg?), I know that is for braked trailer, but ask your self how effective are those brakes on a trailer, will they effectively brake the whole weight of 3.2 t trailer? Of course not, vehicle brakes will deal with far more braking than your hilux with "only" 3.2 t on board.
2008 Hilux 3.0 D-4D MT
gaspergartner

Postby emiloberg on Mon, 19 Nov 2018 8:21 +0000

Just got a call from my local Toyota shop back home. They said that they couldn’t do GVM upgrades on my 2010. It’s only available on 2011+. However, when asked how they went about to do an upgrade on a 2011, they said that they change the rear suspension and nothing else. The new allowed weight would then be 300 kg more than original.

This makes me believe that I, with my +600kg Old Man Emu suspension (if I’m fitting that extra leaf), should be home safe. Of course not legally, but road and vehicle-wise. As I’m about to take the car down to Africa, I don’t think I’ll run into any legal troubles. And if anything I should be able to point at the suspension and say “heavy heavy”

Sounds reasonable?
emiloberg

Postby gaspergartner on Mon, 19 Nov 2018 9:35 +0000

I think so, the most problematic countries are Switzerland and Austria, I'm running 3+ tons for 3 years now I have been to Italy, Austria, Germany, France, Monte Negro and haven't been weighted in all that time.

But I have always a bad feeling :lol:
2008 Hilux 3.0 D-4D MT
gaspergartner

Postby emiloberg on Tue, 20 Nov 2018 2:10 +0000

So, today I bought that extra leaf for my (then) 400kg+ leaf pack. It’s now a 600kg+ pack and the back of the car rose some 2-3 cm. Unfortunately I forgot to measure before the mechanic put it on. But it looks way better and the leaves have a better curve to them.

Also spoke with my second Toyota mechanic back home and he told me the same thing as the first did; if they were to do a GVM upgrade they’d add helper springs. However, his guess was that my rear leaves would be an even better solution and the reason that they put helper spring on is because it’s cheaper and easier. They do no other modifications and that would give another 350kg of payload. Toyota issues a new “chassi card” with the new information.
emiloberg

Postby tazmancrash on Sun, 23 Dec 2018 2:06 +0000

If you still want to do the breaks, I'd recommend the 120 prado upgrade. It's a bolt on conversation. You need 17" rim's to fit. But it's a good upgrade. Was factory fitment on the trd supercharged v6s.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
tazmancrash

Previous

Return to General Discussion