Front seats

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Front seats

Postby garethw on Wed, 21 Mar 2018 3:53 +0000

hey guys any changed the front seats in a dual cab facelift,
i got a 2014 dualcab and the front driver seat is well pretty dead, i want to replace it but toyota have told me a new seat will be $250 USD. figured if i was paying that much might as well buy sparcos or recaros. any one done the swap
garethw

Re: Front seats

Postby tonymtber on Sat, 14 Apr 2018 1:11 +0000

I just picked up a mint condition sr5 drivers seat with airbag from a wrecker or $350.

Hunt around at your local wreckers and you should find one.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
tonymtber

Postby HK1837 on Sat, 14 Apr 2018 2:50 +0000

I put a Recaro Ergomed with ARB base in my 2011, will cost about $3000 though. Getting seats from a wreck is the go if you can put up with the stock seats. A pair of mint ones will cost less than $1000.
HK1837

Postby SkipperCarl on Wed, 04 Nov 2020 5:21 +0000

HK1837 wrote:I put a Recaro Ergomed with ARB base in my 2011, will cost about $3000 though. Getting seats from a wreck is the go if you can put up with the stock seats. A pair of mint ones will cost less than $1000.

Hey there, I've been scouring the web looking for someone who's done this install! This is excellent.

I'm considering the exact same seats for my 2017 double cab, how do you like yours? You reckon it's worth the swap? Has it improved ride comfort? My biggest issue is that I'm 6'4" with long legs and long drives kill my hip/back with the stock seats, was this your case too? Obviously I'm desperate if I'm considering a $3k option, lol.

I've been trying to find out: do the Recaros slide any further back then the stock seats? I'm trying to get an extra 1-2" back from the wheel if I can.

Any info on your install would be gold mate, even photos if you've got them. Thanks heaps.

~Carl
SkipperCarl

Postby DeadlyBeast on Wed, 04 Nov 2020 7:29 +0000

Hi Carl. Welcome to the forum.
Do your 2017 seats have air bags?
Do the Recaros have airbags?
DeadlyBeast

Postby HK1837 on Wed, 04 Nov 2020 10:30 +0000

SkipperCarl wrote:
HK1837 wrote:I put a Recaro Ergomed with ARB base in my 2011, will cost about $3000 though. Getting seats from a wreck is the go if you can put up with the stock seats. A pair of mint ones will cost less than $1000.

Hey there, I've been scouring the web looking for someone who's done this install! This is excellent.

I'm considering the exact same seats for my 2017 double cab, how do you like yours? You reckon it's worth the swap? Has it improved ride comfort? My biggest issue is that I'm 6'4" with long legs and long drives kill my hip/back with the stock seats, was this your case too? Obviously I'm desperate if I'm considering a $3k option, lol.

I've been trying to find out: do the Recaros slide any further back then the stock seats? I'm trying to get an extra 1-2" back from the wheel if I can.

Any info on your install would be gold mate, even photos if you've got them. Thanks heaps.

~Carl

I’m 6’5” and using the supplied mount the seat goes back further than I need it. I used to get a sore arse with the standard seat before I hit Sydney, Taree or Muswellbrook (leaving Lake Macquarie), now I can drive until I need fuel and still feel good.

You do have to develop a way to get in and out though using your right arm on the roof and left elbow on the console lid.

You’ll need to find a decent power supply for the seat power, and the airbag is easy. Just find a wrecked Toyota with airbag seat and cut its seat harness end with plug off and splice it to the Recaro, then it’ll plug into the airbag plug under the seat. Passenger seat is harder as it has an arse detector pad in it that you need to get out of another seat.

Go to an ARB store and have a look at the seats and mounts.
HK1837

Postby SkipperCarl on Thu, 05 Nov 2020 7:55 +0000

HK1837 wrote:
SkipperCarl wrote:

~Carl

I’m 6’5” and using the supplied mount the seat goes back further than I need it. I used to get a sore arse with the standard seat before I hit Sydney, Taree or Muswellbrook (leaving Lake Macquarie), now I can drive until I need fuel and still feel good.

You do have to develop a way to get in and out though using your right arm on the roof and left elbow on the console lid.

You’ll need to find a decent power supply for the seat power, and the airbag is easy. Just find a wrecked Toyota with airbag seat and cut its seat harness end with plug off and splice it to the Recaro, then it’ll plug into the airbag plug under the seat. Passenger seat is harder as it has an arse detector pad in it that you need to get out of another seat.

Go to an ARB store and have a look at the seats and mounts.

Thanks a lot mate, that info is exactly what I was after. No Recaro or seat rails stocked this side of the pond (I'm actually ordering from Victoria), so this will be a sight unseen purchase if it goes ahead; but hey, who needs $10k anyway? GOTTA SPEND MONEY TO MAKE MONEY BABY!
SkipperCarl

Postby HK1837 on Thu, 05 Nov 2020 10:49 +0000

All factory backed Recaro seats and rails in Australia come out of Victoria. Idealseat I think they are called.

For the seat power I cut a harness out of a Toyota and carefully cut the plastic away from a plug, and freed a pin with decent size wire attached. I spliced that wire to a twin (figure8) red wire and pushed it into a spare socket near the steering column on the appropriate circuit, the black in the figure8 got a crimp ring and onto the frame.
HK1837

Return to General Discussion