Drowned hilux cranks but won't turn over

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Re: Drowned hilux cranks but won't turn over

Postby Philos on Sat, 16 Jan 2021 4:51 +0000

martynvella wrote:2-26 turns some seals and o rings to jelly.
You wont see warnings on NF contact cleaner about plastics either but try spraying an anderson type connector with it.

Nah. You’re obviously confused with different product. As I said I’ve been using it for decades and never had any issues. It’s a standard product used widely across the airlines as well. So nah, there’s no way they’d use a product which swells seals sorry.
Philos

Postby martynvella on Sat, 16 Jan 2021 8:01 +0000

Whatever, you keep doing what you do and I will keep doing what I do and we can all be happy. But dont assume automotive manufacturers have the same standards as aviation.
I have been in the trade for decades too and have come unstuck once using 2-26 so never used it again. It was an airflow sensor on a BMW LE2 fuel injection system. I opt for something that evaporates fast. But as I said can not use it on polycarbonate, it will disintegrate it.

So other than cleaning all the connectors which is a good place to start do you have any other helpful diagnostic tips?
martynvella

Postby Rob_Wood on Sat, 16 Jan 2021 10:57 +0000

Philos wrote:
martynvella wrote:2-26 turns some seals and o rings to jelly.
You wont see warnings on NF contact cleaner about plastics either but try spraying an anderson type connector with it.

Nah. You’re obviously confused with different product. As I said I’ve been using it for decades and never had any issues. It’s a standard product used widely across the airlines as well. So nah, there’s no way they’d use a product which swells seals sorry.

Okie then, buying in here :) :) :)
Buying in with a couple of decades as well. This'll make you laugh, I'm not actually familiar with 2-26 as a product name, but with a little bit of other stuff in mind, if it is a petroleum based product, then yes it will react poorly with any silicone based seals, gaskets O-rings etc.
As an experiment try sealing a leak in your fuel tank with silastic. Quite a sight-to-see when it's done its thing.
Anyway, just thought I'd try to pull the pool queues out of your respective hands. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rob_Wood

Postby Bushwalker8 on Sun, 17 Jan 2021 5:05 +0000

According to the SDS 2.26 contains up to 90% petroleum distillates: https://crcindustries.com.au/products/m ... s-2005.pdf
I'd be very careful what I was spraying it on
Bushwalker8

Postby Gipsy on Mon, 18 Jan 2021 4:56 +0000

I always understood that any petroleum products should never be used on natural rubber or neoprene. Leave your Hilux standing in an oil drip tray and see what it does to your tyres! Tends to melt like butter.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby martynvella on Mon, 18 Jan 2021 7:04 +0000

Lets get this thread back on track.
We migjt hear back from Philos with an update but probably not.
martynvella

Previous

Return to General Discussion