The noise diagnosis thread - post your tips

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Re: The noise diagnosis thread - post your tips

Postby Alby on Thu, 10 Apr 2014 11:55 +0000

Qwerty wrote:
Alby wrote:Qwert take it for a run without the misses in it and you might find all the annoying noises are gone ;)

Suggested this , she said something about hoping the exhaust pipe wasn't too hot as that's only place id be sticking todger into !

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby Qwerty on Thu, 10 Apr 2014 12:04 +0000

so i dropped her into local tyre blokes with description of issue, it's been up and down off the hoist three times ... found the sway bar slightly rubbing, so thought it was that... nope.

It's even worse!

Has them royally stumped. Just saw my car drive past the office (gravel road nearby) so they're still roadtesting.

Bloody weird.
Qwerty

Postby Qwerty on Thu, 10 Apr 2014 12:57 +0000

fixed. took 3 blokes and 2 hours of head scratching, pulling and prodding to figure out it was the bullbar mounts. One bloke hung off the bullbar while driving slowly over sharp bumpy bits.
Qwerty

Postby rysermon on Thu, 10 Apr 2014 1:55 +0000

i have an annoying loud sqeak when i take bumps or speed bumps i cant manage to work out where its coming from :( i cant replicate the noise other than when i go over speed bumps or bumps in the road -.- glad to see you sorted yours out though qwert!
"Lifes Simple, You make choices and you dont look back"
08 (09facelift) Hilux SR D4D - Daily and adventure vehicle
99 Silvia S15 Spec r - Sunday driver
rysermon

Postby Qwerty on Thu, 10 Apr 2014 2:00 +0000

I have that squeak too ryser, i call it the tweety bird squeak.
It's next on my target list, but it's not one that was infuriating me as that strong CLACK/CRACK my bullbar was doing on every bump (and even when the chassis flexed such as turning corners)

I think the tweety bird is eihter side steps or body mounts.

I used to think it was my shockies... but now have tough dogs and they do it too.

Once again bloody hard to diagnose! strap self to undercarriage while soeone else drives.
Qwerty

Postby Qwerty on Thu, 10 Apr 2014 2:07 +0000

THis is ME : http://vimeo.com/22225592

supercheap auto commercial advert
Qwerty

Postby rysermon on Thu, 10 Apr 2014 2:12 +0000

Qwerty wrote:I have that squeak too ryser, i call it the tweety bird squeak.
It's next on my target list, but it's not one that was infuriating me as that strong CLACK/CRACK my bullbar was doing on every bump (and even when the chassis flexed such as turning corners)

I think the tweety bird is eihter side steps or body mounts.

I used to think it was my shockies... but now have tough dogs and they do it too.

Once again bloody hard to diagnose! strap self to undercarriage while soeone else drives.

yeah man its so loud and annoying i thought it was the spare tire but after several hits with a mallot and removing it it still does it its def not the shocks so im thinking it could maybe be the leafs but it doesnt always do it more or less only on the agressive bumps haha.
im over searching i live with it now haha
rysermon

Postby Qwerty on Thu, 10 Apr 2014 2:15 +0000

yeah , tweety bird is a mere "i'll find you one day you little shit".

There's another I get on cold days where the plastic around windscreen on passenger side creaks. I have read a fix for that somewhere, just haven't got to it!

The bullbar clunking one that i got fixed today though was driving me NUTS.
Qwerty

Postby rysermon on Thu, 10 Apr 2014 3:03 +0000

Qwerty wrote:yeah , tweety bird is a mere "i'll find you one day you little shit".

There's another I get on cold days where the plastic around windscreen on passenger side creaks. I have read a fix for that somewhere, just haven't got to it!

The bullbar clunking one that i got fixed today though was driving me NUTS.

i get a plastic creak noise when i turn right or veer right from the passenger side dash area too it comes and goes as it feels like it -.-
rysermon

Postby runningman on Sat, 12 Apr 2014 7:40 +0000

I got a squeeking from the drivers rear side, happens on bumps and moving about generally. It reduced when i changed the original rear shocks (200k) with efs shocks AND is louder when a child seat strapped into rear drivers side. Got me baffled, thought leaf eye rubber but is worse with child seat in the car??!!! WTF?!
runningman

Postby Jon88 on Sat, 12 Apr 2014 9:10 +0000

Qwerty wrote:fixed. took 3 blokes and 2 hours of head scratching, pulling and prodding to figure out it was the bullbar mounts. One bloke hung off the bullbar while driving slowly over sharp bumpy bits.

mate bummer i only just saw this!! would have suggested bullbar mounts ;)
I'm guessing you dont have the xrox bar but i had exactly the same problem, would have been into suspension shop (ape wangara) at least 4 times with them still scratching their heads! in the end i ripped the bar off and found a small section that looked like it had been rubbing on a cross member. trimmed it up with a grinder and bang on, no more noise! happiest experience with the hilux to date i reckon!!

now to get rid of that annoying flippin squeek from the back end, pretty sure its the leafs/bushes... dont know how to fix it really though. they're pumped full of grease and dont want to attack it with the WD40 just yet!
Jon88

Postby Qwerty on Sun, 13 Apr 2014 4:01 +0000

ha ha was wilkinsons in bayswater actually, followed by tyrepower in mt lawley!

lots of WTF going on

only noise left is tweety bird ... but it doesnt bother me too much, coz it doesn't do it at low speed and doesnt clunk.

If anyone knows tweety birds origins (it's like a short sharp high pitched "uuncceee" that matches shock movements. Brand new shocks a week ago.
Qwerty

Postby Dempsey510 on Mon, 01 Nov 2021 1:19 +0000

Jon88 wrote:
Qwerty wrote:fixed. took 3 blokes and 2 hours of head scratching, pulling and prodding to figure out it was the bullbar mounts. One bloke hung off the bullbar while driving slowly over sharp bumpy bits.

mate bummer i only just saw this!! would have suggested bullbar mounts ;)
I'm guessing you dont have the xrox bar but i had exactly the same problem, would have been into suspension shop (ape wangara) at least 4 times with them still scratching their heads! in the end i ripped the bar off and found a small section that looked like it had been rubbing on a cross member. trimmed it up with a grinder and bang on, no more noise! happiest experience with the hilux to date i reckon!!

now to get rid of that annoying flippin squeek from the back end, pretty sure its the leafs/bushes... dont know how to fix it really though. they're pumped full of grease and dont want to attack it with the WD40 just yet!

Digging up and old thread here but where abouts on the bar did you grind off? I have this issue now :/
Dempsey510

Postby Bruss1 on Sun, 06 Feb 2022 12:19 +0000

I had a similar situation to you qwerty, and really feel for you! Mine was similar in mounting kerbs / speedbumps / rough terrain got a single click from the front right area. I replaced bushes, cv joints, suspension strut amongst other things. I was pulling my hair out for about a year, had several mechanics stumped, harder to find than rocking horse sh*t. Door hinge pin. I was moving a small amount in my driveway one day, door open and got click from the upper hinge pin. All made sense, chassis flex and the pin worn just so. Hope you find yours
Bruss1

Previous

Return to General Discussion