Idle up?

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Idle up?

Postby Rolux on Mon, 16 Jun 2008 11:07 +0000

The power heat does not get much use in QLD but it sure would be nice to be able to control the revs for the a number of other reasons. Does anyone know where you can get an idle up, screw or control kit for 2005+ :-)
If you can speak and write thank a teacher. Because it is still in English thank a soldier!
Rolux

Idle up?

Postby ROLLUX on Tue, 17 Jun 2008 1:39 +0000

love your user name bud!!!
ROLLUX

Idle up?

Postby Rolux on Wed, 18 Jun 2008 5:52 +0000

Other online forums suggest that power heat does the same thing which it doesn't

Landies have had it for a while and I am lead to believe that prado has it in the top models.

For thoughts?
If you can speak and write thank a teacher. Because it is still in English thank a soldier!
Rolux

Idle up?

Postby olcoolone on Wed, 18 Jun 2008 7:57 +0000

I don't think it would be that hard to do.You could do it the same way as cruise controls do it on drive by wire systems.

The cruise control samples the voltage for the throttle control motor and copy's it, the voltage is increase and decreased as the speed goes up and down from the set point.

You would have to design an electronic circuit that control voltages very closely, you might find to set the RPM at 1500rpm you might have to generate a voltage of say 2.45 volts and if you wanted 2000rpm it might be 2.7 volts.

I would think the voltage would be between 1 and 5 volts from 0rpm to 4500rpm.

The power heat function will increase the rpm to a faster idle until the engine warms up, the reason behind the added rpm is the electric heater draws about 20 amps and the increased rpm allows the engine to warm up quicker.

Regards Richard
olcoolone

Idle up?

Postby Rolux on Wed, 18 Jun 2008 9:09 +0000

Thanks Richard,
Very informed! I am sure there will be a system out there and if it is available for prado it should be a bolt on. I will just have to keep looking!

Thanks again8-)
Rolux

Re: Idle up?

Postby Rolux on Thu, 14 Aug 2008 2:21 +0000

Anyone come across this yet?

Bump
Rolux

Postby lukey on Tue, 19 Aug 2008 6:45 +0000

Mate,

Awesome idea. Would make life sooo much easier in the bumpy stuff, more control without having to worry about surge from your right foot. I know the new 70 series has it. Could adapt it to the hilux, just got to find on. If the old 70 series had it on the 4.2 TD you might find one at the wreckers.
lukey

Postby Shrek on Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:15 +0000

I had one of these in my old Pajero. I mostly used it for when running the winch I could up the revs a bit and lock it there. It might sound like a good idea but it wasn't any good for off road as you might believe lukey.
pǝɹoq ʎɐʍ ǝq ʇsnɯ noʎ 'sıɥʇ ƃuıpɐǝɹ ǝɹ,noʎ ɟı
Shrek

Postby Rolux on Tue, 19 Aug 2008 5:37 +0000

It would be handy for heavy electrical loads such as charging batteries, heavy lighting and winching etc.
Rolux

Postby lukey on Wed, 20 Aug 2008 6:27 +0000

Shrek,

I have used it numerous times on a variety of 4x4's and 4x4 trucks and 6x6 trucks in some pretty extreme conditions. I'm a fan.
lukey

Postby Rolux on Wed, 20 Aug 2008 7:52 +0000

The idle up in the Landcruiser is fixed to about 1200 rpm (or something) but it would of course be handy to have variable control to do the sorts of thing Lukey is suggesting.

Anything is better than nothing though!
Rolux

Postby olcoolone on Wed, 20 Aug 2008 12:38 +0000

Remember the throttle is controlled electrically (drive by wire) and it works of a variable voltage.
olcoolone

Postby stuie0786 on Sun, 15 Apr 2012 6:55 +0000

On a tilt tray fuso turck i worked on the other day, it has a seperate knob that allows the driver to adjust the idle up and down. it can adjust from idle to 3000 or so rpm. the tilt tray had a switch at the rear tray controls which when turned on would put a resistor inline to the idle up knob causing the engine to idle up to 1400 rpm. this idle knob is a seperat input to the engine ecu and works the same as the fly by wire throttle. the knob has an earth a 5Volt referance voltage (from the ecu) and a return signal to the ecu. as the knob is turned it changes its resistance and by doing so it varies the voltage signal from (earth)0volts (idle) to 5Volts (3000rpm) back to the ecu. putting the resistor inline by the rear switch, being the correct rating for adjusting the idle to 1400 rpm it sends a voltage signal back to the ecu and causes the idle to idle up. now if that makes sense?????? heres some more info. hope this makes sense?????
on your hilux's i have the older shape and am in the same issue too with fly by wire throttle and putting an idle up or adjuster on it. the foot throttle has not one earth, a referance voltage supply and a return signal but two seperate earths two seperate supplys and two seperate return signals. so to trick it you have to trick both return signals at the same time to get the idle to adjust up and down , if it dosnt see the correct signals, it will know that there is something wrong with the foot throttle. it will sense this bring on the check engine light and electronically discarnect the throttle not allow the throttle to work and therefore the car wont rev. some throttles dont use a 2nd 5volts supply as the second referance voltage. now this is where it is hard to do....

they may use depending on the car

example 1 double 5volts as explained above
example 2 one 5volt supply and a 10volt supply for the second signal.
example 3 run the signals in reverse to each other.

Example 1:
if it runs the two 5 volt supplys then you need 2 exactly the same resistors to trick the ecu. if they arnt the same and if its out buy 0.01 of a volt difference (depending on the ecu and how accurate it is) the ecu may sense this and think there is something wrong with the throttle and the throttle wont work.
0 volts ant idle 2.50volts at half throttle and 5 volts at full throttle. this is on both throttle circuits.

Example 2:
some cars run two seperate and different supplys so the resistors will need to be different rating to trick the ecu. working out this rating isnt that easy and getting it exact so the ecu is happy is the hardest part. It is hard for the diy home guy to do or even some auto electrictions. (if they take the job on)
Input 1: 0 volts ant idle 2.50volts at half throttle and 5 volts at full throttle.part throttle could be 1.50volts.
Input 2: 0 volts ant idle 5 volts at half throttle and 10 volts at full throttle.part throttle could be 2.80volts.

Example 3: this is the same as example 2 but the supplys are the same but the signals run in reverse to each other.
Input 1: 0 volts ant idle 2.50volts at half throttle and 5 volts at full throttle. part throttle could be 1.50volts
Input 2: 5 volts ant idle 2.50volts at half throttle and 0 volts at full throttle.part throttle could be 3.50volts

so depends on the fly by wire will depend on ifs its easy to do. to put in a variable one would need two potentiometers at the correct ratings to do this and both be turned at the exact same time to trick the ecu.
On cruise control this is all done electronicly and worked out by the manufacture in the factory, the ones we do at work from what i can work out without modifying wont do what i want and i havent been down that path as of yet.
im looking at a hand throttle and moding the pedal to fit but when engine cold and hot, at 1/4 throttle they are different rpms when cold 900rpm and hot 1400 rpm. found this when start in mornin with flat battery and put a stick on the throttle and 10 min later the idle climbed up by its self.

hope this helps anyone and sorry for the long post.
stuie0786

Postby strangenuts on Tue, 01 May 2012 5:59 +0000

Only just realised that they don't have them any more. :o :x The 94 I had had a screw up one, it came in very handy for extreme hill starts and similar senarios.
strangenuts

Postby ultimate on Tue, 01 May 2012 6:19 +0000

There is an idle up kit available for the Hilux overseas but it's a little bit different to the old hand throttles. It's used on police and armoured vehicles which need higher revs and larger alternators for running electrical equipment. It is spliced into the throttle and works by converting the throttle signal depending on battery voltage. When the battery voltage drops below 13V, the idle up kicks in and raises the revs to 1800RPM. The main downside is the vehicle has to be in park for the idle up to work (Safety measure to comply with international standards) which means it cannot be used for hill climbs and crawling.

We should have a test unit arriving here in the next couple of months. I'm not sure on its suitability for off road vehicles but the kit has been thoroughly tested overseas and works well on service and emergency vehicles.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby Noidea on Tue, 01 May 2012 6:21 +0000

The idle up on our trucks (05+) doesnt work once the engine temp is up to normal so I wonder if it would be easier to simply take that engine temp sensor away from the equation so the button simply works no matter what.

This would be very handy for a large number of offroading scenarios but would suit me best for winching.
Noidea

Postby andy666 on Wed, 02 May 2012 7:05 +0000

In theory you should be able to splice a variable resistor into the throttle wiring to increase or decrease resistance of the electrical signal to the computer and adjust the idle.

Edit: Actually the variable resitor would have to wired in series.
666 High Idle Kits to suit 05+ hilux Available Here
My Build Thread.
andy666

Postby stuie0786 on Wed, 02 May 2012 6:33 +0000

only if it runs one signal back to the ecu, if it runs 2 then u will need two variable resistors exactly the same ratings. They are normally within 10% of each other but that can be enought to send it into limp mode and cause a fault.
stuie0786

Postby strangenuts on Thu, 10 May 2012 7:52 +0000

My mate just got a new Prado and tells me he has an Idle up button. Envious! So there is one for a D4d out there, but probably not as simple as robbing one from a Prado and installing it on your Lux.
strangenuts

Postby strangenuts on Wed, 23 May 2012 8:41 +0000

strangenuts wrote:My mate just got a new Prado and tells me he has an Idle up button. Envious! So there is one for a D4d out there, but probably not as simple as robbing one from a Prado and installing it on your Lux.

I take that comment back, I have since found out that the "idle up" button does exactly what it does on a Hilux,i.e. only works when the engine is cold. :shock:
strangenuts

Next

Return to General Discussion