Under tub water tanks

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Re: Under tub water tanks

Postby 89LUX on Sun, 20 Oct 2013 7:42 +0000

Gday hellbound. Mate ive been searchimg everywhere for that tank and cant seem to find it anywhere.
Searched for ballistic on ebay and nothing came up. Can you point me
In the right direction
89LUX

Postby Hellbound on Mon, 21 Oct 2013 4:36 +0000

Type this into ebay - PRV70SS-MK and you should get what you need :mrgreen:
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Postby Sydney on Mon, 21 Oct 2013 9:51 +0000

Sydney

Postby Rustyau on Thu, 24 Oct 2013 6:41 +0000

Well I though is give the one off eBay a go. Copy/Paste this number into eBay search 251363717943.
Not the biggest capacity, but it certainly made good use of the small space available. Was very easy to install. Probably longest part was dropping and lifting the spare wheel!
Here's what was supplied. There was supposed to be some foam strips that were supposed to assist in keeping the brackets in place whilst installing. I think I tossed them in the bin by mistake though. Didn't make installation hard by any means. Instructions supplied are more than adequate.
The two white dots are the breathers. Almost looks like cotton wool. Not sure if they will end up getting clogged with dust. Time will tell. You might need to click on the image to see the breathers. My bad cropping ;)
The mounting brackets line up perfectly with existing holes.
Hose adapter that screws into the tank comes with thread tape already applied.
I ended up using an irrigation right angle adapter (not supplied, but cheap from hardware) to get the outlet where I wanted on the tow bar. A few zip ties to lock it in position and job done!
I'm 100% sure....I think
Rustyau

Postby Rustyau on Thu, 24 Oct 2013 6:50 +0000

^Damn auto correct.... :x
[quote="Rustyau"]Well I though is give the one off eBay a go.

Correction
'Well I thought I'd give the one off eBay a go.....'
I'm 100% sure....I think
Rustyau

Postby Hellbound on Thu, 24 Oct 2013 7:04 +0000

Nice install but 15litres aint gona cut it on a camping trip !
Hellbound

Postby Rustyau on Thu, 24 Oct 2013 7:41 +0000

Yeah, I agree 15L isn't fantastic, but it's enough for washing the hands and drinking water for the fleabags, and it's a substantial increase on my old system of carrying a couple of 600ml water bottles :D

When I hopefully get a camper trailer, I expect that it will carry a decent amount. I just didn't like the idea of putting a bladder tank inside the car and I couldn't locate any other option that was compatible with dimensions underneath a tub.
I'm 100% sure....I think
Rustyau

Postby Hellbound on Thu, 24 Oct 2013 8:34 +0000

That tub that i fitted wasnt available anywhere?
Hellbound

Postby Rustyau on Fri, 25 Oct 2013 3:59 +0000

Yeah I found them on eBay however when I sent them a message asking if they had one that would fit under a tub back, they more or less said no. I went through and checked all the measurements on what they had advertised too, but nothing would work. I did consider what you said about raising the tub, but due to my roof racks versus garage door height, that wasn't an option either.
I'm 100% sure....I think
Rustyau

Postby ChrisD on Fri, 25 Oct 2013 5:34 +0000

Thanks for that Rustyau, I've been thinking about a tank for a while but same as you couldn't lift the tub because I have a canopy etc. Looks pretty good, can I ask though, does it have a separate filler or is it in and out on the same line?
I had a look at the ad and it said it fits in the spare tyre space, but does the tyre fit back afterwards?
Thanks
Christian
HIGH ROLLER
ChrisD

Postby Rustyau on Fri, 25 Oct 2013 10:00 +0000

ChrisD,
It's in and out the same line. On the instructions it says to fill it 'gently', I assume so the water pressure doesn't push the white breathers out?? The click on hose adapter in the photo was one I had laying around.

I should mention too that the tap was another one I had in the shed (bought it from bunnings, was cheap enough) I used that instead of the one supplied so I could use the click on hose adapter. The tap that comes with the tank has a 13mm irrigation barb on both sides, but I thought that would make I hard to fill from a normal garden hose fitting.

And yes, it fits perfectly above the spare. No problems at all.

Also, I've got no affiliation or vested interest, but the seller was really good to deal with.

Anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask
I'm 100% sure....I think
Rustyau

Postby SRD4D on Fri, 25 Oct 2013 11:29 +0000

gday Rusty

How you going? Dave from coolendel.........
good looking set up ,15ltrs would go fairly quickly, If you need more capacity,when we went to "the cape" and for future bigger trips, I fitted 2x 20ltr tanks back to back behind the left hand well in the tub in the void next to the drawers,plumbed togeather with a hand pump out the side window,worked a treat... for the cost of 2 jerries and bits and pieces i had in the shed.

see them tucked in the left hand side..

Facebook ..........The Australian toyota hilux 4WD group https://www.facebook.com/groups/296534054022895/
SRD4D

Postby Rustyau on Fri, 25 Oct 2013 7:13 +0000

Hi Dave, I'm well thanks. I like the idea of a good cheap setup using jerrys. I did consider maybe one on the right side of my drawers, but space for camping gear (tables, tent, etc) and of course the flea bags would be compromised. The left hand side is where my aux battery now lives. I still haven't given up completely on utilising more of the voids under the tub, but time as always is in short supply!
That's half the reason I went with this tank for the time being. It fits really neatly and took less than 1 hour to fit, probably would have been quicker with no ankle biter distractions :lol:

Where did you get the hand pump? I like the idea of incorporating one of them in the project.
I'm 100% sure....I think
Rustyau

Postby SRD4D on Sat, 26 Oct 2013 3:08 +0000

Rustyau wrote:Hi Dave, I'm well thanks. I like the idea of a good cheap setup using jerrys. I did consider maybe one on the right side of my drawers, but space for camping gear (tables, tent, etc) and of course the flea bags would be compromised. The left hand side is where my aux battery now lives. I still haven't given up completely on utilising more of the voids under the tub, but time as always is in short supply!
That's half the reason I went with this tank for the time being. It fits really neatly and took less than 1 hour to fit, probably would have been quicker with no ankle biter distractions :lol:

Where did you get the hand pump? I like the idea of incorporating one of them in the project.

yeh,I hear you about ankle bitters distractions
As for the Hand pump it came with my Drifta kitchen for the trailer(converted that to electric constant pressure),but they can be had cheaply from BCF,Bias boating or good ole Ebay.
Talking about tanks,did you need to flush the tank to remove the plasticy task from it?
Your old man was talking about a product he bought from a camp shop??? near him,Id like to know as my tanks water tastes terrible.

all the best.
Facebook ..........The Australian toyota hilux 4WD group https://www.facebook.com/groups/296534054022895/
SRD4D

Postby Alby on Sat, 26 Oct 2013 3:39 +0000

Wash your tanks out with Nappysan or white vinegar to remove taste
There is some info on the BOAB site from memory
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby Gunny on Sat, 26 Oct 2013 7:19 +0000

I've used Milton's solution to wash the taste out of a 50L bladder.
Gunny

Postby Rustyau on Sat, 26 Oct 2013 7:37 +0000

SRD4D wrote:Talking about tanks,did you need to flush the tank to remove the plasticy task from it?
Your old man was talking about a product he bought from a camp shop??? near him,Id like to know as my tanks water tastes terrible.

Dave, spoke to Dad and he said he used a product called starbright water conditioner. He said he got it from a marine shop at Granville. He reckons it worked well because Mum didn't notice at all and she usually picks up on those sorts of things.

Can't remember exactly how it was used, but something along the lines of a small amount mixed in with the tanks when there about 1/2 full. Couple of days of driving to slosh it around and then dump it and refill.

I haven't bothered doing anything with my tank yet other than a quick plain water flush, but so far it's only been used for hand wash. In my experience with different types I drinking water vessels at work (canvas bags, stainless, plastic coolers, etc), I reckon a big reason for bad taste is using a normal garden hose to fill with. Especially if the water that has been sitting in the hose, in the sun, for days, isn't flushed out thoroughly first. IMHO
I'm 100% sure....I think
Rustyau

Postby SRD4D on Sun, 27 Oct 2013 8:12 +0000

Rustyau wrote:
SRD4D wrote:Talking about tanks,did you need to flush the tank to remove the plasticy task from it?

Dave, spoke to Dad and he said he used a product called starbright water conditioner. He said he got it from a marine shop at Granville. He reckons it worked well because Mum didn't notice at all and she usually picks up on those sorts of things.

Can't remember exactly how it was used, but something along the lines of a small amount mixed in with the tanks when there about 1/2 full. Couple of days of driving to slosh it around and then dump it and refill.

I haven't bothered doing anything with my tank yet other than a quick plain water flush, but so far it's only been used for hand wash. In my experience with different types I drinking water vessels at work (canvas bags, stainless, plastic coolers, etc), I reckon a big reason for bad taste is using a normal garden hose to fill with. Especially if the water that has been sitting in the hose, in the sun, for days, isn't flushed out thoroughly first. IMHO

ok mate thanks for that
SRD4D

Postby PIGROOTER on Sun, 27 Oct 2013 8:40 +0000

I installed one of these.Easy to fit and doesn't take up much room.The PRV 50.
http://www.enmachind.com.au/poly-rv-acc ... mxglmQpb6oImage
PIGROOTER

Postby WinM70 on Sun, 27 Oct 2013 9:41 +0000

Hellbound wrote:70 litre poly tank mounted inbetween the middle two chassis rails..

tap installed to bottom chassis rail

filler neck is just infront of the tray header board, used a big sprinkler head and removed the innards, too easy!

Fits perfectly inbetween the chassis rails, didnt have to remove the tray either just lifted it up about 50mm them slid her in :mrgreen:

I like that a lot! It will save me having to cart around a 25L drum whenever I go bush.
What's the chequer plate thing behind the air tank?

Lee.
Keeping Australia beautiful, one feral at a time.
WinM70

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion