Under tub water tanks

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Re: Under tub water tanks

Postby sixes on Tue, 12 Feb 2019 4:58 +0000

Unfortunately there is nothing for the 2012 model and still, 40lt is 2 jerry cans so the cheaper option still wins IMO.

I was looking at the poly tanks made that sit along the sides to the wheel arch but they take the room I want to use for other stuff. Surely there is a ready made tank that will bolt up under a tub???

My previous setup was spot on (tray back), 130lt water tank/pump and a 60lt aux diesel tank. Sold it as it was too wide and long so have gone back to tub and canopy.

Might look into getting something custom made and attach to the base of the tub...
sixes

Postby Myralga on Tue, 12 Feb 2019 7:18 +0000

There is a small 18L tank on eBay for 05-15 but at 18L it’s tiny for $200 too.

I will state the bladder I have is bloody good and if you don’t really fold up your rear seat on a 5-15 then the space is there for a bladder. On the post 15 the rear upper of the seat doesn’t move so that’s why I put it there.
But do note when it is full I have one issue and one odd quirk.

The issue is the Centre seatbelt does not work correctly won’t pull out when full and won’t go back in when full either. (Bladder presses on the strap holding it in place.) for me this is a non issue. As it’s just me and the missus. But for a family with kids might be a problem.
Odd quirk if your in the back the bladder does give you a weird massage as it sloshes around you will feel it through the seat. And hear it if the radio is down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Postby wombat81 on Fri, 29 Mar 2019 11:40 +0000

I've got a bladder behind my back seat too. Love it. Holds about 50L.
Current: 2021 SR Dual Cab Chassis 4x4 2.8TD Manual
Retired: 2010 SR Dual Cab Chassis 4x4 3.0TD Manual
My current (2021 model) build thread
My previous (2010 model) build thread
wombat81

Postby sixes on Fri, 29 Mar 2019 12:29 +0000

$200 for an 18lt container? :shock: people must have marbles in their head!

I looked at the bladder style setup and although a good idea, I store the med kit and other gear along the floor and is why I am looking like a tank setup. I am genuinely surprised that there is nothing readily available to bolt up to a tub.

The other idea I had was to have something made that will go behind the drawer setup I am planning to build. Might have to venture with that idea
sixes

Postby bugeye on Thu, 24 Oct 2019 7:52 +0000

@Myralga a bit late to the party, also looking at the bladder behind the rear seat.
Do you actually hang it of anything? or just squeez it in there and fill her up?
bugeye

Postby wombat81 on Thu, 24 Oct 2019 9:38 +0000

bugeye wrote:@Myralga a bit late to the party, also looking at the bladder behind the rear seat.
Do you actually hang it of anything? or just squeez it in there and fill her up?

Yeah the Fleximake one hangs off the crossmember behind the seat. They gave me heavy duty cable ties in my kit to hang it with and there are eyelets along the top of the bladder to hang it from. It does rest on the floor behind the seat, though, and the seat back supports it, so the cable ties don't really take any weight, they pretty much just keep it in position.

This is the one I bought: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221328234510 but I did a heap of measuring and got them to alter it a bit. I don't think it would fit too well as it is. It's a fair bit too long from memory, for starters. I also got them to change the position of the inlets and outlets to make the more convenient. They did the mods for no extra charge. In hindsight I would also measure the positions where I want the eyelets to be along the top and let them know. I had to add a couple of extra eyelets to mine (which wasn't a big deal) because they weren't quite in the right spots. I'd probably also get them to extend the filler hose a bit.
wombat81

Postby Myralga on Thu, 24 Oct 2019 12:50 +0000

I got mine behind the seat and so far have only had it leak once. When’s fitting came loose. So all fittings are now sealed and held in place with sikaflex.

Pic for you as I was leak testing it on the bench. Out of the vehicle. It doesn’t get as full as you see on the pic when installed but gives you an idea of the capacity it has. It’s a very simple idea/design.

As stated by others the water mass is resting on the floor so the top end is just held in place with zip ties etc.

Myralga

Postby wombat81 on Sun, 27 Oct 2019 8:06 +0000

Myralga wrote:I got mine behind the seat and so far have only had it leak once. When’s fitting came loose. So all fittings are now sealed and held in place with sikaflex.

I have a feeling mine has a weep somewhere too. It's hard to tell with kids in the back seat. They're always spilling stuff. Need to pull it out and check it.
wombat81

Postby Myralga on Tue, 29 Oct 2019 5:19 +0000

wombat81 wrote:
Myralga wrote:I got mine behind the seat and so far have only had it leak once. When’s fitting came loose. So all fittings are now sealed and held in place with sikaflex.

I have a feeling mine has a weep somewhere too. It's hard to tell with kids in the back seat. They're always spilling stuff. Need to pull it out and check it.

Mine wasn’t weeping. I filled it in the morning and by lunch time it was trickling out the seals on the front passenger door. The foot well had about 4-5cm of water in it.
Took better part of a week to get it all dry.

So that’s a warning for anyone wanting to put such a bladder in the car. Make sure it’s sealed properly otherwise be prepared for a very wet interior

Myralga

Postby bugeye on Tue, 29 Oct 2019 10:23 +0000

Sweet, so pretty straight forward, seal, seal, seal and just let it hang.
Thanks for the info! To me it looks like the best use of the space.
bugeye

Postby territorian on Wed, 11 Jan 2023 5:29 +0000

https://www.underutetanks.com/products

These look to be quite good. Still pretty small at 30L but an option for some.
territorian

Postby Hulix26r on Tue, 17 Jan 2023 6:35 +0000

territorian wrote:https://www.underutetanks.com/products

These look to be quite good. Still pretty small at 30L but an option for some.
I have this type under my hilux tub and can say it's tough quality built and fits perfectly. Mines survived corrugations of the Gibb River, Tanami desert, grand central desert and more not one leak or crack, the tap hasn't busted yet either.
I don't drink from it but handy for after the beach, washing camp dishes, washing hand from changing a flat in the middle of the Northern Territory or rehydration for the dog. I do recommend fixing a hard tap to the vehicle with 100mm of copper pipe then just slide the tank hose over it. The retic tap supplied needs two hands to turn it on and flaps around. Image

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
Hulix26r

Previous

Return to General Discussion