HKS F-Con Computer VS Chip?

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Re: HKS F-Con Computer VS Chip?

Postby mitzikatzi on Sun, 25 Jan 2015 7:27 +0000

The FB page of the company in the first link. If you read a few post it was a large amount of work to develop that tune. As far as I believe Agri Tune, AP tuning and CRD Tuning are linked and share info and are experienced tuners.
https://www.facebook.com/agrituneaustralia?fref=ts
https://www.facebook.com/CRDTuning?fref=ts
https://www.facebook.com/aptuning001?fref=ts

Following on from yesterdays dyno devlopment on the 2014 hilux, we will now be able to offer tunes up to plus 50 percent torque over stock. Power up more than 30 percent over stock also. Factory afrs are running a rich 16 to 17:1 which shows the dangers of putting any kind of chip box on if not properly monitored. Without controlling the turbo, timing, injection and boost all together you put your engine at risk.
In simulating an overtaking run on the dyno we saw an increase of only 50 degrees in egt temps.
In Prado development we made a load of very interesting discoveries. In running full development level diagnostic software , the differences between Hilux and Prado, despite having the same engine (in theory) and the same power output (in theory) were significant. These differences we will not be sharing as its part of our own development program but lets just say they need to be tuned very differently.
Having our own vehicles in house for hilux prado and landcruiser will enable us to bring you the ultimate tunes that are significantly better than what any chip can offer , period.

Full tuning results will be posted once all tunes are finalised. This will include boost, egt and afr information.

Update from todays 2014 Toyota hilux tuning. We ran one stock and then with full exhaust (well known brand) and as a reference it made absolutely no increases anywhere.
Following the custom software we added to the ECU, we saw gains 23 percent gains in power , 30 percent torque . Both gains were made over the whole range. 200 km drive after tuning showed a 20 percent fuel saving! More development to follow.

Another day of development on the dyno today has seen another 10 percent gain in power and torque with even better AFR and still running stock boost of 16 psi.
Power gains now at 35% and torque is up an amazing 50% over stock. Throttle response far far quicker than stock and yet to even add any boost. The real world r&d is paying off for sure. More hours of road data logging tonight and tomorrow will be followed by more fine tuning and adding boost. This hilux is stock too so we are excited to then more on to the tuning with a Hilux with modifications to see the real-world differences.

Another company doing Hilux ECU reflashes from $995
Post from 118th Jan
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quantune ... 31?fref=ts

http://australia.quantum-tuning.com/
mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi on Sun, 25 Jan 2015 7:35 +0000

nicebike wrote:A 3psi extra boost and AFRs which are claimed to be safe might make a noticeable difference, but does not add up to the gains alluded to. (IE UP TO 50% more torque - note the UP TO)

More information would be wise if this path is being considered.

ECU reflash tunes have been done on Tritons for years. They get about the same increases in power (20% ish) and torque (40+% ish) as what is being claimed for the Hilux.

From what i have read (owner/user posts/claims) on Triton tunes fuel economy is the same or a little better. I see no reason why a Hilux tune would be no different.
mitzikatzi

Postby nicebike on Sun, 25 Jan 2015 3:43 +0000

I didn't suggest that ECU remapping couldn't produce sizeable gains.

I did suggest that the top end of the "UP TO" improvements on the web site, (and don't forget the "UP TO" 20% improvement in fuel consumption), didn't seem to gell with the meagre information on the web site regarding boost, AFRs, etc.

That info is not shown on the graphs which you have posted, which are impressive, BTW. I note that this info is expected to be available in the future.

My point is unchanged - know what is being done to your pride and joy, and what the expected results will be, before committing to tuning mods.
nicebike

Postby Tadpol88 on Sun, 25 Jan 2015 9:31 +0000

Anywhere in western Vic or Se sa that does these tunes?
Tadpol88

Postby mitzikatzi on Mon, 26 Jan 2015 8:01 +0000

mitzikatzi

Postby slippery rjs on Thu, 05 Feb 2015 4:38 +0000

statikblast wrote:so u guys saying to get a better turbo, exhaust, injectors and clutch before even bothering with a hks fcon id chip install and tune.

what if i already have done a 3" exhaust, front mount intercooler kit, snorkel, k&N filter and heavy duty clutch....can i still get a decent tune out of a hks chip, was looking at target of making just over 550nm of torque..

just to out step a stx 550 navara.....

Hi Mate i decided to drive up to Qld to get it done by matt. Mine just has 3 inch exhaust and Snorkel. Came up good. Well worth the cash. Can't even compare stock to Hks.
slippery rjs

Postby Pete'90 on Thu, 05 Feb 2015 6:27 +0000

I don't get it, I have already run my hilux on a dyno dynamics dyno and it ran 99.7kw at the rears and 276nm on 265/65 r17 stockies works out to be just on 20% loss from the fly wheel, This was before my exhaust at 125km/h for the power and 2700rpm for the torque. After my 3" exhaust my power basically remained the same at the same road speed but my peak torque increased slightly to 286nm and dropped to 2000rpm.
Not much was gained from the exhaust on the dyno apart from lowering the peak torque to a more usable area, but on the road it definitely feels like it goes better. My money is on the lower peak torque.
My fuel consumption dropped 1 - 1.5l/100km so I'm happy getting 680km on average to the fuel light in an auto.
I know all dynos are different but how can all the figures be so far apart.
Build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=23139

Regards
Pete
Pete'90

Postby slippery rjs on Thu, 05 Feb 2015 9:44 +0000

slippery rjs

Postby slippery rjs on Wed, 11 Feb 2015 11:04 +0000

Got it done very happy. Thought i was having issues with it but was just unlucky. My diesel filter needed replacing, battery and alternator a few days after fitting HKS. (Broke down in Tamworth cursing)

Anyway highly recommend matt @ justautos was good to deal with, he copped a few unrelated msgs after hours which he was happy to respond too. (They through my roof top tent back on the wrong way but I actually like it better coming off the passenger side.

There's my dyno. Come up good. Good Torque increase. Drive is incomparable! Actually can creep up to 130 with out noticing and I'm right on the pay load.

slippery rjs

Postby Pete'90 on Wed, 11 Feb 2015 1:51 +0000

Nice work, definitely a healthy increase
Build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=23139

Regards
Pete
Pete'90

Postby 09lux on Fri, 20 Feb 2015 5:53 +0000

Tuned at Just Autos yesterday. Very happy with the increase.
09lux

Postby StevenS on Fri, 20 Feb 2015 8:28 +0000

Lately my fuel economy has been getting progressively worse, from 11.2 a few months ago to 13.1 last week.

Can a tune restore my fuel economy if Im not after power etc, only interested in having factory power/torque but better economy?
StevenS

Postby packeteer on Fri, 20 Feb 2015 2:05 +0000

I'll just leave this here:
2011 Dual Cab SR5 D4D manual.
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby packeteer on Fri, 20 Feb 2015 6:57 +0000

StevenS wrote:Lately my fuel economy has been getting progressively worse, from 11.2 a few months ago to 13.1 last week.

Can a tune restore my fuel economy if Im not after power etc, only interested in having factory power/torque but better economy?

yes it can, but you should still figure out why the increased fuel use. dirty sensors, dirty egr, dirty air filter etc. plenty of guides on here on how to fix
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby StevenS on Fri, 20 Feb 2015 7:25 +0000

packeteer wrote:
StevenS wrote:Lately my fuel economy has been getting progressively worse, from 11.2 a few months ago to 13.1 last week.

yes it can, but you should still figure out why the increased fuel use. dirty sensors, dirty egr, dirty air filter etc. plenty of guides on here on how to fix

Pretty much already scoured the forums and tried virtually everything I can find, it's gotten to the stage where I'm getting desperate to try a retune to fix things.
StevenS

Postby packeteer on Fri, 20 Feb 2015 7:31 +0000

so cleaned all sensors, cleaned egr and intake? change all fluids and filters, checked injector feedback values?
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby StevenS on Fri, 20 Feb 2015 8:02 +0000

packeteer wrote:so cleaned all sensors, cleaned egr and intake? change all fluids and filters, checked injector feedback values?

Cleaned MAP (also check boost levels with boost gauge)
New SCV
Cleaned intake/EGR right down to head (and as far inside as I could reach) then fitted Provent
All new filters (air, oil, 2x fuel as I also have an additional prefilter installed)
Brand new fuel tank (OEM) and spotless fuel pickup strainer
Brand new injectors from Baileys with new lines and seals etc (values checked every month with techstream)
New brake pads front and rear
New oil in front/rear diffs, engine, new suspension all around, all grease joints topped up
New clutch
Tried tanks with air con off, next to no difference
Wheel alignment and balance (done every 2-3 months like clockwork), tyre pressures maintained

Only thing I haven't yet checked are the wheel bearings (recently anyhow), just waiting on some time off and clear weather.
If I've missed anything please suggest so, I'm at my wits end trying to figure this out
StevenS

Postby packeteer on Fri, 20 Feb 2015 8:10 +0000

damn dude, that covers most everything I could think of

wait, I see no mention of cleaning MAF (both sensors) ??
build thread
shed page
packeteer

Postby StevenS on Fri, 20 Feb 2015 8:32 +0000

packeteer wrote:damn dude, that covers most everything I could think of

wait, I see no mention of cleaning MAF (both sensors) ??

I only did that recently when I replaced the air filter, using the same stuff as the MAP sensor (CRC sensor stuff).
I've done so much even I have a hard time remembering. Sometimes I will literally comb over the ute just trying to think of stuff I haven't tried.
StevenS

Postby bob14hilux on Fri, 20 Feb 2015 8:38 +0000

Are you using the readout on the dash to find your fuel consumption, or are you using a calculator when you fill up?
Bob

Build thread viewtopic.php?f=41&t=23413

If beer and women are not the answer then you are asking the wrong question
bob14hilux

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion