Vibration / Shutter on Take Of

General discussion of basically anything Hilux related

Postby david allan on Tue, 13 Nov 2007 6:36 +0000

hey hiluxdan

I got ARB to swap the wedge around, with big end in the rear & smaller end in the front. This made the Vibration even worse. Im so confused
I think it was better with the larger end towards the front of the vehicle.
At the moment I got ARB yo remove the wedge as im going to toyota tommorow to see what they will say. I didnt want to have the wedge there, coz toyota will just say the vibration is due tot the wedge
david allan

Postby matske on Tue, 13 Nov 2007 6:58 +0000

let us know how u go mate i have bfg all terrains on my lux sumtimes u cant even notice the shaking depends on how fast u accelarate and how smooth the road is i only feel it around 10kmh other than the shakin the suspension is great off road and hookin around the neighbourhood
matske

Postby hiluxdan on Wed, 14 Nov 2007 9:21 +0000

Fellas,
had a 4 degree wedge put in today(5 was too big).

Vibration is almost gone, but still waiting for centre bearing spacer to hopefully get rid of it completely,
will let you's know,
Dan
hiluxdan

Postby 9W6VX on Wed, 14 Nov 2007 9:23 +0000

Dan,

Could you post some pictures of the 4 degree wedge?

Thanks
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby david allan on Wed, 14 Nov 2007 7:15 +0000

guys

ARB put in a 2 degree wedge with higher part in the front of vehicle originaly & I think it made it slightly better, but not really noticable.
Then we reversed it to put the higher end in the rear, this definately made it worse. To me it dosent make sense
Took it to toyota & they tried to fix it but not do anything.
Pic of yours Hiluxdan will be appreciated
david allan

Postby matske on Thu, 15 Nov 2007 4:55 +0000

arb told me today that the shakin in my hilux is because the suspension has been set at the front to allow for a steel bullbar which i planned on gettin in a few weeks.. will have to wait and see..
matske

Postby camwill69 on Thu, 15 Nov 2007 5:51 +0000

Matske,
What a load of BS. Tell Steve to wake up and get with the issue. He is aware of many with the same issue and lies to all. Told me a different story.

Nice guy, but well trained by ARB. Mate, EFS are all over this and they are still developing thier product, some of which are not on the market till testing is done and issues are solved. Why are ARB so far behind.

EFS advise me of the issue prior to fitting that there may be an issue. What are ARB up to.

I will get off my soap box now and calm down.

Good luck.

We (Gold Coasters ie Greenhilux guy, Kazdan, Tlux and others) should get together one arvo and meet up. Just a quick beer or two somewhere local. Nerang, Say Commercial hotel or the like. Yes I know it's not flash but the beer is cold. Speak up.

I do hope the teacher does not mark me on my spelling or punctuation.

Regards,
Camwill69
camwill69

Postby 9W6VX on Thu, 15 Nov 2007 7:21 +0000

camwill69,

Good for you!

ARB and the other big boys are too big for their boots!

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby matske on Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:00 +0000

hmm beer drewling aahhh homer style..haha yeh nerang commercial cool with me.. yeh mate steve nice bloke but is a bad liar..he said my car is first hilux to do shaking yeh righto i think they just want 2 sell me a bullbar saying that the extra weight will fix the problem
matske

Postby david allan on Thu, 15 Nov 2007 7:17 +0000

guys

booked in vehicle to go to head office at kysith as they want to see the vibration. they said they have never heard of it. Cheif enginner will be there. Not sure what he will do
david allan

Postby hiluxdan on Thu, 15 Nov 2007 9:43 +0000

Hey fellas i'm up for a coldie,
Just say when, works pretty full on at the moment so i'll see how i go.
You're right, i reckon they're full of it, my vibes were happening even with the steel bar.
They tried telling me it was the wheel alignment(because the suspension was done elsewhere). Like you's say "well trained".
Hey green saw your truck on the road the other day, very nice!
Still workin' on getting those pics Brendan & Dave, not enough hours in the day! This weekend is out too,
heading up too Landcruiser Mountain Park for the winch challenge.
Dan.
hiluxdan

Postby GreenHilux Guy on Fri, 16 Nov 2007 12:48 +0000

Hey Dan, where abouts are you? we should catch up for a drive. Winch challenge would be good, wish i wasn't busy all weekend. Want to come on a beach trip to rainbow with Smityworld in the next couple of weekends, I will try to organise a day trip on the forum and get a bunch of hiluxes.
GreenHilux Guy

Postby GreenHilux Guy on Fri, 16 Nov 2007 1:01 +0000

Hey camwill69, did you say that cause I'm a teacher. I get paid the big bucks, that's how I keep the car running.

Bizzare about this shudder, I get it taking off but only cause I feel the STT's biting. Its gone straight away and never under braking. I have a much taller lift then I anticpated (or paid for) cause of the accident with the taller coils but I seem to have none of these problems others are facing with moderate lifts. Mind you I can't drive straight but that will be fixed at Performance Suspension in Labrador on Mon. Lets get all the Gold Coasters for a meet up for a drink next weekend. Who's in?
GreenHilux Guy

Postby camwill69 on Fri, 16 Nov 2007 2:05 +0000

Yes GHG I did say that due to your profession.

My issue is more under braking and only marginal on initial acceleration.

Standard tyres so its not them.

Say when and i'll be there.

Regards,
Camwill69
camwill69

Postby matske on Fri, 16 Nov 2007 6:52 +0000

drinks anytime 4 me and GRREEN hilux guy very keen 4 a beach trip 2 rainbow or fraser was meant to go this weekend but my mates dropped out im spewin just gunna go north straddie for a fish and a fourby
matske

Postby TOMUCH on Fri, 16 Nov 2007 8:30 +0000

Guys, I have just had a thought, and could be miles off here, but bare with me... is it possible that your propshafts are out of sync. sould it simply be that the yoke needs to be turned one tooth one way or another... without actually seeing the cars, it is very hard to diagonse... but I have seen similar vibration problems due to out of sync unijoint / propshafts... however this is usually at speed...not necessarily high speed... just a thought... have alook at a brand new standard lux... and see if your propshaft is connected exactly the same.....what I mean by that is that the yokes teh uni joints go into should be lined up the same from one end to the other.... you never know your luck in the bg city... Cheers TOMUCH
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

Postby david allan on Fri, 16 Nov 2007 9:18 +0000

TOMUCH

Im abit confused
are you talking about the uni joint that connects to the rear axle or where it connects to the centre shaft.
Not to techniclaly minded

I actually put abit of weight in the rear (prob around 300kg & the vibration was minamised.
It was still there, but much less
Not sure why either due to the extra weight or that the vehicle actually dropped around 20mm
david allan

Postby hiluxdan on Fri, 16 Nov 2007 9:53 +0000

Hey GHG,
Next few weekends after this a bit busy, building house at coomera and moving in about 4 weeks gotta make sure it's all finished so I'm not stuck workin' on it over Christmas.

Living in a unit in Labrador and I'm hangin' to get back into a garage and get my tools outa storage.

Keep us posted though, I may be able to squeeze a day trip in.

TOMUCH, clear as mud! Like Dave not technically minded.
Dave, Mine was the same when I loaded her up and the rear end really dropped the vibes lessened(is that a word teacher) I guess cos the rear drive angles get closer to standard, maybe.
Dan
hiluxdan

Postby TOMUCH on Fri, 16 Nov 2007 9:56 +0000

David, I am only speculating here, and as I said I could be way off the mark... and cant actually see under my car... (due to being in Timor...LOL) but yes the last section of the propshaft from the centre bearing to the diff... if you take a photo of it and post it up ... I will be able to tell you if its possible... actually I am not even sure now if there is a uni join there...or a CV type joint... cant remember...hahaha...
Mmaaxx.. your a mech arnt you.... what do you think? possible???

Cheers TOMUCH
TOMUCH

Postby TOMUCH on Fri, 16 Nov 2007 10:10 +0000

on the rear section of the propshaft there should be a slip joint... along the shaft..it allows the lenght to change as the diff goes up and down... on the ends of the ropshaft, there should be two unijoints...one at each end, or ther might be a CV (or cardan)style joint and a uni joint at the other end..Now the slip joint acan be seperated by pulling the ends apart.. and I know (especialy on Land Rovers) that if the yokes (they hold the unis) are not "phased" correctly, the bloody thing will vibrate at certain speeds... and sometimes on take off... Now I can only assume that by changeing the angle of that rear propshaft, it is causing the unis to be slighly out of sync with each other... (uni joints do not turn in constant velocity ) and this can cause a slight vibration.... Sorry guys if I have not explained this clearly enough... and as I said before... might be compleetly wrong... but it doesnt hurt to put it out there... I would rather be proved wrong than not say anything and find out later that was all it was... Cheers TOMUCH
TOMUCH

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion